top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 10,000th Post, Thoughts and Guidance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 10,000th Post, Thoughts and Guidance.

10,000 posts is an interesting milestone, but in the end, it is just a nice, round, number. 5 years and 10,000 posts. For perspective, that number is approximately 2.77% of all posts on this forum (there are around 360,000 posts).

I wasn't really sure what to write. I figure I would share my general approach to things and guidelines.

Getting out of debt
    1. Do not rule out any options.
    2. Never turn unsecured debt into secured debt
    3. Never liquidate or borrow from retirement accounts to pay a debt.
    4. Debt settlement is the TRUE last resort.
    5. Borrowing is not a way to get out of debt. (i.e. don't borrow from friends and family to pay debt).
    6. View your financial life as a business
    7. Don't just focus on the here and now, look at your financial life in the medium and long term.

It is always better to be proactive and take action to get out of debt...the wait around and see if they sue me or trying to wait out the statute of limitation is ALWAYS a losing strategy long term.

Budget
    Savings: 10% (minimum)
    Housing (not including utilities): 20%
    Food: 10% (includes dining out).
    Transportation 10% - 15% (but you can save a lot of money in this category).
    Household Operating Exp. 15% (utilities, repairs, maint. furnishings, etc)
    Clothing (and associated exp.) 5%
    Other Expense 25-30% (everything else, medical, recreation, entertainment, etc).
    AND, know what you spend, track your expenses in some manner, create a well categorized tracking system for expenses and track what you spend.

Determine the cost of any action by what you are giving up to get it. For example, if you spend $200 per month on wine, consider that if you saved that money for 10 years at 5.5%, you would have $32,247. Thus, is the wine really worth it? In one year, that is $2,400 (that is a nice vacation, down payment for your next car, emergency fund, etc)

Write down your goals. Get a giant white board and write down your goals and start brainstorming ways to achieve them. Take an inventory each week of steps or actions you took to achieve those goals. When you achieve a goal, have a bulletin board where you can post and look at your successes. Success breeds success.

Real Estate:
    Location, Location, Location. Find ONE house, and make it the house you plan to retire in, or at least plan on living in the house until it is paid off. If you move around every few years, (or if you want flexibility) then rent, it makes no sense to buy a house. And whatever you do, NEVER REFINANCE and take out equity. The only time it makes sense to refi is if you can get at least a 1% cut in your interest rate (but also consider the length of the loan, for example, if you only have 25 years left on your existing mortgage, and go to refi, do not take a loan out that has a period longer than 25 years).

Spend money on experiences, not things. You cannot take things with you, but experiences help define and enhance your soul. Although I cannot say this is true of me today, but the best times in my life were when I could fit everything I own into the trunk of a car. Many of you longer term members may remember that I took a hiatus for 9 months to travel; I went to New Zealand, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Singapore, Greece, and Italy, and all I had was a back pack, passport and debit card. Experiences are often cheaper, and sometimes free, anyway.
    Last edited by HHM; 02-01-2010, 07:22 AM.

I think this is a excellent 10K post.

The one thing I can add to all of this super advice is to remember that you are not in it alone. If nothing else, the 360K posts on this board are proof of that.
    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Congrats HHM.
      Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
      Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
      Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

Great 10,000th post!

I really could have used the advice and guidelines a few years ago.
        Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
        "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Congratulations HHM on your milestone. And everything you wrote in you 'Do NOT Do in Trying to Get Out of Debt List--we did do, trying to stave off the inevitable. Now we are here trying to help others not do the same stupid things we did.

Congrats again!
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Great post!

Thanks for all the help.
            "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
            Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
            341 Hearing March 4th 2010
            Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

You've helped literally THOUSANDS of people during their most desperate hours with your 10,000 posts, HHM. What an incredibly valuable legacy you've created here!

Thank you for sharing your deep knowledge, common sense, and ability to say the hard thing when it needs to be said. These qualities of your will continue to make a difference for thousands more members far into the future as well. Hope to still be here when you hit 20,000 posts!
              I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
              06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
              07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
              10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
              01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
              09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
              06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
              08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
              Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for the inspiration and guidance.
                Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
                341 Meeting 09/09/09
                Discharged 11/12/09
                Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Thanks HHM, for everything. You're awesome. And you're right. I think I was happiest too when everything I owned fit in the trunk of my car. Those were the days, for sure.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words.

I doubt I have the stamina for 20,000 posts Unless the BK Laws change significantly to create new issues, that will be a very difficult milestone to achieve.

Comment

I like the fact that on this board there are rich, poor and everyone in between and all wound up in the same boat. This is a fabulous resource and I realized that biting the bullet and filing would not be the end of my life that I thought it would be (thanks to all those damn creditreport.com commercials and military telling people you will lose a security clearance.)

For those who put this board together, thanks! My only regret is not doing this sooner.
                      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Thanks for everything you do HHM. You're always a source for wisdom and valued insight that we can so much lack at times.

Financial pressures can cloud our judgment and thinking ability and it's good to have someone that can throw it out there in no b.s. terms and call it the way it is.

Looking forward to you reaching 20k plus.

Your post was excellent!
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                          Thank you all for the kind words.

I doubt I have the stamina for 20,000 posts Unless the BK Laws change significantly to create new issues, that will be a very difficult milestone to achieve.
                          New issues are created every time a new pro se filer comes on the board. You love us as much as we love you. And YOU CAN DO IT. I CAN HELP.

Comment

A sense of accomplishment is worthy of the moment---

Comment

Just passed 11,000 posts.

So, lets see, that is 1000 posts in just under 5 months. Assuming that pace can be consistent (not likely), it will take me 45 months to achieve 20,000. Not really sure I can do that, not enough new issues
                              Last edited by HHM; 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X