Upside Down and Underwater Homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Upside Down and Underwater Homes

I'm new to this forum and I am confused when I read that people's homes are "upside down" or "underwater". What does this mean?
    Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
    November 2010
    Closed: January 2011!!!

It means that there is more debt on the asset than the fair market sale (after commission, etc.) value. A person is considered underwater in general if his non-exempt (i.e., exempt in bankruptcy) assets exceed his debts.

Comment

Thanks for responding JackBondLove. So do they mean the same thing? Are they just two different ways of describing the same thing?

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
      It means that there is more debt on the asset than the fair market sale (after commission, etc.) value. A person is considered underwater in general if his non-exempt (i.e., exempt in bankruptcy) assets exceed his debts.
      Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
      November 2010
      Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BankruptinNJ View Post
        Thanks for responding JackBondLove. So do they mean the same thing? Are they just two different ways of describing the same thing?
        Yes.
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Originally posted by BankruptinNJ View Post
          I'm new to this forum and I am confused when I read that people's homes are "upside down" or "underwater". What does this mean?
          To give you a hypothetical general example...Say you purchased a home in 2004 for $400,000 and mortgaged it for $300,000; over the next year the value soared to over $500,000...you took out a HELOC in 2006 for home additions, new car, whatever, consolidate bills. 2007 hits with the massive drop in values. Your home value plunges in value to say $250,000. You still owe the amount of your original mortgage which will just be little less than $300,000 plus the amount of the HELOC. You are now "underwater" on your home (owing more than the property is worth).

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X