top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with friends/coworkers that don't know you filed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband and I have vowed to never tell a soul. I really don't see a reason to now that things are calming down for us. There was a time when I wished I could vent to a friend or share my happiness in getting out of the black pit. But I fought those urges because sharing would have only benefited my conscience by justifying our bk, the backlash wouldn't have been worth it.

I agree with the theories that the previous posters have said. They don't understand unless they've walked it, or they have issues with knocking others down to feel good about themselves.
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

We haven't told anyone except my daughter ( I co signed her car loan ) and a friend / co worker who had filed 2 years ago, and knew how I was struggling financially. She said her life has been much easier since her discharge, and that she felt it was the right thing to do.

We just feel that for us that is the right decision. Everyone has to do what feels best for themselves.
      Marie

Comment

I told no one. I applied for job a few years ago, and I'm certain that the president was looking at a public records report about me during the last interview, and I didn't get the job, although this interview was supposed to be a formality. So I know at least one person knows, and this is a person known to everyone in my field.

Anyone dealt with telling family and friends years later, or being found out? There's a good chance there'll be a shakeup in my company sometime in the next few months where people are re-interviewed to see where they fit. I'm worried they'll run a background check. If I lose this job, friends and family will want to help me find another one, and the last thing I want is to apply, then get disqualified due to BK and have everyone find out in that context.

Comment

Comment

The way most employers get around the below is to come up with another reason for letting someone go...i.e., performance related, company layoff, etc. It would be extremely difficult for someone to prove they were fired just for filing bankruptcy unless they did not comply with company policy as to informing their employer they filed BK. Many employment contracts for management require divulging if one files BK during their employment.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I know

it's why I said plausible. For an existing employee with a good record, they have to be careful..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X