X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
    I'm not sure the "debit card" == "credit check" is the real (total) policy
    From the Hertz website:

"What kind of credit check is performed when I use my Debit Card?

Answer

The credit scoring process performed through the services of Equifax are very similar to the type of credit checks that are done when a person applies for credit. This credit check is done at the rental location when you arrive."

Hertz handles debit cards and prepaid cards differently.

"Can I use my Debit Card or Bank Card to reserve a Hertz car?

Answer

At most Hertz locations, debit cards (sometimes called check cards) issued under a VISA or Mastercard logo which draw funds directly from the cardholder's account may be used to qualify for a rental. However, prepaid or stored value cards which have a VISA or Mastercard logo are not accepted to qualify for a rental. Debit cards must have available funds for the estimated amount of the rental charges plus up to $140 to cover any incidental charges in order to secure the rental. Both debit and prepaid or store value cards issued under a VISA or Mastercard logo may be used as a form of payment when you return the vehicle."

I suspect your problem was the prepaid WalMart card, not the credit check. You could use it pay the charges at return, not as security.

That's why they see no attempts at your bank and the Hertz place just sees declined. Their system can tell by the BIN numbers that it's a prepaid card and refuses to approve it. It never makes it to the point of trying to verify with your bank.

Comment

For what it's worth, and just adding to the thread, I've done some work with one of the major card issuers (not at the bank level above a bank... think Mastercard, VISA, American Express, and Discover). I just don't want to disclose who it was.

In any event, credit card numbers have all types of encoding in them. Of course the first number tells you the type of card (4=VISA, 5=Mastercard, 6=Discover, 3=American Express). Then there are "bank" issuer codes, and then a "product" type. Sophisticated merchants can tell what type of card you are using by just examining the first 6 digits of a card number without running it!

This is why you swipe your card at say Wal*Mart and if it's a debit card, it asks you to enter your PIN. The system actually never contacted the issuing bank to determine that. (I worked on a system that would check the first 6 digits to see if certain services were available to the cardholder... with the proliferation of "Platinum" cards and other premium cards.)

I didn't even think about this or if the problem with the earlier poster's (pcn's) card was that it wasn't a "core" VISA, MC, American Express, Discover credit or "check" card product. This was probably the issue!

I would go out on a limb and say that stored-value cards that are not tied to a checking account (the so-called "check" card) are not the type of debit card that most of the Rental Cart companies like! A stored-value card is considered a "gift" card for all intents and purposes.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I prefer Alamo because they are usually cheaper than any other rental. With my employee discounts I pay almost nothing. I used my debit with them but an airline/airport badge does help. They know you have to go back to home base.

I don't like using my debit in hotels, because they do hold at least one night's stay. It was held for a week after I checked out, too. I had to get on them to release the funds.

As for those scores, those were my scores BEFORE I EVER STOPPED PAYING! Amazing. Too bad I don't qualify for a 7 because I would have been all over that.
        First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

I am less than a year into my CH13 and I rented a car Hertz through priceline. I found out after the fact that they run your credit and I was so convinced that they'd deny me that I even made a backup reservation with another company just in case. I don't know if my debit card is "special" or not, but they ran it through just like a credit card and treated it like one. Rented me the car never even batted and eyelash, and I am a very INFREQUENT car renter.

Comment

What you wrote walkthaplank is the experience that everyone I know that uses a traditional checking-account backed debit card with a VISA/MASTERCARD logo on it... experiences, even with Hertz.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Anyone here know if I would be able to use my sister's Discover Card which she lets me carry( an extra one for one of those emergencies where a debit card or cash just won't be accepted) to rent a car even though the car is on my name but payment is from someone else?

Comment

I used to rent regularly from Enterprise in California, and they allowed me to pay Visa by debit card, but this was an agreement between me and the manager. Of course, this was a series of monthly rentals on a regular basis, for which I was also reimbursed. When he got transferred I had to ask for it all over again. Actually if I remember correctly, I found out what branch he transferred to and took my business there.

I called my local Enterprise branch here in Texas and they told me credit cards only for the deposit, but said I could pay by any method upon drop off.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota112 View Post
                  Anyone here know if I would be able to use my sister's Discover Card which she lets me carry( an extra one for one of those emergencies where a debit card or cash just won't be accepted) to rent a car even though the car is on my name but payment is from someone else?
                  I think that will only work if the cardholder is available to present ID for the purchase. I get "carded" these days for every little card purchase.

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the card has your name on it. My husband used the card I had issued to him on my account and never had a problem using it to rent cars. But, I suppose this could vary by company.
                    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

In order to rent, the credit card must be in the renter's name. Each renter must "establish" credit with the rental car company. If you have time, just have your sister add you as an authorized user and have a card printed with your name on it.

In a retail store situation, the name usually doesn't matter, except for places with exceptional amounts of fraud or high value products (high-end jewelry, electronics, etc) where they ID everyone.

However, for rental cars... expect them to demand a credit card with the renter's name embossed on the card. Any person can pay the final charges with almost any payment type, but renting requires a credit card in the name of the renter, or that the renter establishes a "cash" account. Some rental companies have ways to get a "cash" renter's card that expedites rentals.
                      Last edited by justbroke; 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Try Enterprise, I have rented from them several times, when you pick up car and using a debit card, they will ask for 2 paystubs, or if self-employed or retired, 2 utility bills and bank statement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X