Should I hire my neighbor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I hire my neighbor?

Should I hire my neighbor as my bankruptsy attorney? That is all that he does, so I am sure he knows what he is doing. We are not the best of friends but we go to church togather and he is a very nice guy. He says his rate is about $1500 for a chapter 7. Is this fair? Is this not a good idea? My wife worries he is to close to us. We plan on keeping our house. My wife is more private then I am....Any suggestions?

That has to be a personal decision. I actually have a good friend that is an attorney that probably could have handled mine, but I REALLY didn't want to get him involved. The primary reason for this in my case is that there are 3 very fast forms of communication in my area - telegraph, telephone, and tellmyfriend.
    Filed: 6/30/2010
    341: 7/26/2010
    Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

I would say to interview him and several other attorneys, same as you would in a situation when you did not know of an attorney as an acquaintance.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I am going to say "no, do not hire your neighbor".

My neigborhood has been devistated by the economy, just like many others. All of my neighbors know what I do for a living and, from time to time, ask questions. I, as an attorney, would never officially represent them. It is just asking for trouble. I have to live next to them and if something goes wrong - either in their minds or in reality- living next to them could become a nightmare.

You, as the client, could be faced with the same issue if the outcome of your case is not exactly what you expected.

Comment

I agree that it is a personal decision. I am a preschool teacher and my lawyers son is in my class. She handles cases every day and does not look down upon me. She gave me a discount, which I am thankful for. I think as long as your neighbor does not talk about your case to anyone else you should be okay.
          Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
          341 meeting on 5/28/2010
          Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

i'm voting for the big "NO".....it's one thing to be neighbors...however, think carefully about how much you really would like to disclose about all your personal life....

i have family members that are attorney's ...would have done my bk for nothing...no way!

i could just see us at an upcoming social event when he or she had one to many martini's and did an oppp's...out loud.

the decision is up to you and your wife alone...but i would think very carefully about it.
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I don't think you should hire the neighbor ... not b/c he is the neighbor, but because your wife is uncomfortable with it. Go with someone you are BOTH comfortable with, her reasons are her reasons and should be respected. I'm sure you can find someone you both will agree on and your neighbor won't miss your business -- I'm sure he has tons of cases to deal with already!

Just tell him that your wife is uncomfortable about the relationship and I'm sure he will understand.

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                i'm voting for the big "NO".....it's one thing to be neighbors...however, think carefully about how much you really would like to disclose about all your personal life....

i have family members that are attorney's ...would have done my bk for nothing...no way!

i could just see us at an upcoming social event when he or she had one to many martini's and did an oppp's...out loud.

the decision is up to you and your wife alone...but i would think very carefully about it.
                I was just at a cook out last week and the very thing happened, i was shocked. The lawyer had a little too much happy juice...lol and said something about one of his clients .

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X