top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are my high-maintenance dogs going to get me in trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are my high-maintenance dogs going to get me in trouble?

I'm trying to fill out tthe paperwork for my actual expenses and I'm wondering how high the trustee's eyebrows are going to go when they see our bills for our 3 dogs.

One of them has a liver disease and had to have a very expensive surgery a few months ago. Now she will be on 2 medications for the rest of her life at about $50/month (she's only 2 years old) and has to have routine tests to monitor her liver. She also has to eat a special food that costs us $25/month. One of our other dogs has a kidney problem and has to eat a different food, also at $25/month. Because of the multiple health problems and the HUGE vet bills we've had in the past, we have a veterinary wellness plan for the 3 dogs that costs a total of $89/month. It has paid for itself numerous times, since it also pays for all shots, check-ups, tests, teeth cleaning, etc and we only pay a fraction of other medical procedures. We also get them groomed once every 3 months (they're poodles - they NEED to be groomed!) at $40 each.

So, total, we spend about $229/month on them. How big of a problem is this going to be? I'm in Middle District Florida, if that makes a difference.
    Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

No way to predict how a particular district/trustee will react. What some do on expenses they don't want to itemize (high pet expenses, cigarettes, etc.) is include it in other categories. Such as if you are under the norm on groceries, personal care and clothing: add $30 here, $50 there to those areas and absorb some of the expense.

The pet care plans can be useful. We adopted a cat & puppy 2 1/2 years ago - and just after that found our our older dog had heartworms. The adoption included a free 90 day care program - and it saved us 20% on heartworm treatments and got us discounts on the puppy shots as well.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

sorry, i'll be of no help with your question, however, i find it extremely interesting and really do wonder how the courts view this type of situation.

in the good OLD days we used to raise and show both cats and dogs, but, now due to our financial situation had to place them all in loving families...which was so difficult for us to do.

i did wonder how the court would view this, so i hope someone has an answer for you.

best of luck!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I am curious as well. I will follow this closely and hope that someone chimes in with some info. GL!
        I am NOT an attorney. This is NOT advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee View Post
          I'm trying to fill out tthe paperwork for my actual expenses and I'm wondering how high the trustee's eyebrows are going to go when they see our bills for our 3 dogs.

One of them has a liver disease and had to have a very expensive surgery a few months ago. Now she will be on 2 medications for the rest of her life at about $50/month (she's only 2 years old) and has to have routine tests to monitor her liver. She also has to eat a special food that costs us $25/month. One of our other dogs has a kidney problem and has to eat a different food, also at $25/month. Because of the multiple health problems and the HUGE vet bills we've had in the past, we have a veterinary wellness plan for the 3 dogs that costs a total of $89/month. It has paid for itself numerous times, since it also pays for all shots, check-ups, tests, teeth cleaning, etc and we only pay a fraction of other medical procedures. We also get them groomed once every 3 months (they're poodles - they NEED to be groomed!) at $40 each.

So, total, we spend about $229/month on them. How big of a problem is this going to be? I'm in Middle District Florida, if that makes a difference.
          theres no way the trustee is going to allow it
          Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
          Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
          Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
            i hate to agree...but i think scoprion just stung the truth....
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
              Yikes. Should I pad other expenses, like food, to cover? Our 2-yr old furbaby would die without her meds.
              Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

The issue here is what is above "normal" as to pet ownership in the area where the OP resides. Many people have dogs and cats and go through BK but that is only usually one dog or cat as many folks in financial straights find homes for pets they cannot afford to take care of (look how many pets are left in abandoned homes). Because the OP's expenses are higher than normal and a lot of money is going to their care that the OP really cannot afford since he is filing BK, either it will not be allowed or a ton of proof is going to have to be supplied to back all of the illnesses, medications, etc. up. I believe an attorney from that area is going to have to answer the OP's question regarding this situation.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I averaged nearly $500/month on pet expenses (largely due to a major surgery). My district would have never permitted such. I added the cost of pet food to my personal grocery bill and noted a $25/month pet expense. You may be able to place the medication costs in your medical (especially if the meds come from a standard pharmacy). If you have an attorney, I'd inquire about the monthly insurance cost. You may be able to include this (as a whole or reduced to local standards) depending on your district.
                  *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

dee it's difficult for anyone to suggest or agree with you to be dishonest with any of your answers for your means test or paper work....

but if i could be anonymous and you pretend like you can't see me...i would do it, but i never said that, or suggested that, actually, i'm not even here!

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                      dee it's difficult for anyone to suggest or agree with you to be dishonest with any of your answers for your means test or paper work....

but if i could be anonymous and you pretend like you can't see me...i would do it, but i never said that, or suggested that, actually, i'm not even here!
                      Thanks - you made me chuckle. And that's not easy to do lately.

Comment

it was my pleasure...if i could relieve your stress even if only for a moment

Comment

We have three dogs ( two dachsunds and a cocker spaniel), a cat and a bird and included an expense of $80 per month and no questions were asked. If the trustee is an animal lover, he/she will understand the theraputic value of pet ownership. They are great stress relievers. Wish we could claim them on income tax!
                          Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Tobee makes everyone bust out laughing! LOL!
                            Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Originally posted by andy158 View Post
                              We have three dogs ( two dachsunds and a cocker spaniel), a cat and a bird and included an expense of $80 per month and no questions were asked. If the trustee is an animal lover, he/she will understand the theraputic value of pet ownership. They are great stress relievers. Wish we could claim them on income tax!

Since they can take your animal if it's worth over a certain amount, I guess they only see it as property - no sentimental value there.
                              Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X