And of course the unexpected happens...possible job offer pre 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well congrats on the opportunity
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Yes or No answers, I would answer no in this case if I did not have a final, irrevocable, job offer, not subject to any contingencies in hand.

A job offer subject to "X, Y, and Z" even if accepted is not new employment until x,y,z is completed, even then it is only a future job, not
      a current change.

A yes or no answer to a yes or no question. If they ask about whether there is an anticipated job change, that is different. Again, HONEST yes
      or no questions to the EXACT question asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
        I think you could state that No there is no change at the moment because .....
        Just NO, don't say anything about at the moment unless asked. No is the answer or yes is the answer. Don't qualify it, it
        just begs follow up questions. If yes, then of course there will be additional questions, but I would not volunteer the
        answer, just say yes and wait for the question, or say no and that probably ends the line of questioning.

I'm sure that is what Pandora meant, but I wanted to try and clear it up

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdfw View Post
          Just NO, don't say anything about at the moment unless asked. No is the answer or yes is the answer. Don't qualify it, it
          just begs follow up questions. If yes, then of course there will be additional questions, but I would not volunteer the
          answer, just say yes and wait for the question, or say no and that probably ends the line of questioning.

I agree Chris, and all. The answer is no. Background check will not have cleared in 24 hours, and for sure I will not have updated the required securities licenses in 24 hours, think more like 3-6 months, and yes, these are a precondition to employment. Fortunately the licenses I need are not precluded by my filing a bk, yes it will show up on my U4, but unless I was going CFP, I have no time barring.
          Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
          AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

And thank you all for the input....I'm feeling better about this, and that's what this forum is about.
            Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

I was in the application process for a new job and had a very good chance at getting it when my 341 rolled around (looks like I may actually have an offer within the next two weeks). The advice my attorney gave me when I told her I had a very good chance at getting a new job....

"Listen very carefully to the way the question is worded. Try to answer yes or no depending specifically on how the question is worded, and how it relates to your specific situation. Don't say a word more than you absolutely have to. Essentially, you want to be completely honest in the statements that you give without giving the trustee any additional information on which he can dig deeper."
              Filed: 6/30/2010
              341: 7/26/2010
              Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Thanks wondering. That's what I think I'll do is stick exactly to what he will ask, word for word, although in my mind it's a heck of a fine line to toe. Good news is I know exactly how the question will be asked...lol

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                  How's this for technical? Monday is final interview & decision, Tuesday verbal job offer, with written on mail later that day or so, Wednesday 341, and when asked: Has there been a change in employment and/or income since you filed (He asked this exactly the same way for 28 consecutive 341's, pretty sure it's his standard repertoire) the answer is no. Why? Because technically there has not YET been a change in employment or income....or am I reaching too far here? Offer in, but notice not yet given to current employer, new job not yet started, new income not yet perceived....ugh?
                  A job offer that is contingent on licensing and background checks is just that, an offer. It is not a job. It will take 3 days or so to get through all the preliminary background checks, minimum. I am a principal analyst for a venture firm and used to be an analyst on Wall Street and I am speaking from personal experience. You will not have a guaranteed and committed offer of employment on your 341. Congrats on the job!
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                    A job offer that is contingent on licensing and background checks is just that, an offer. It is not a job. It will take 3 days or so to get through all the preliminary background checks, minimum. I am a principal analyst for a venture firm and used to be an analyst on Wall Street and I am speaking from personal experience. You will not have a guaranteed and committed offer of employment on your 341. Congrats on the job!
                    Thanks B2S, that sounds utterly logical. I know how long backgrounds take, and I know I'll need a minimum of 2 months to get new licenses/update the ones I have, etc, depending on how soon they schedule me for training and the proctored exams. So I guess you and everyone else here is right, the answer is a resounding no if the question is asked the way my trustee repeated it 28 times back to back non-stop...lol

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdfw View Post

yes - thats what I meant; to answer simply NO. The rest was just definition of why ;)

Again - Congrats Joe! Fingers crossed for you that this is the job you want and will get through with flying colors!

Comment

But, Joe, you have no 6-month look back for this new job. On Wednesday you won't have the job. You're just interviewing. You wouldn't be lying by saying nothing has changed since you filed.
                        Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

And I didn't even read backtoschool's more eloquent reply. LOL. Congrats on the job offer!
                          Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drowning123 View Post
                            But, Joe, you have no 6-month look back for this new job. On Wednesday you won't have the job. You're just interviewing. You wouldn't be lying by saying nothing has changed since you filed.
                            ccsjoe has a current job - this would be a "better" one.
                            Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

Comment

OK, so I turned down the job offer because of "totality of circumstances" (LOL Love that phrase), commute increasing 5-fold, etc. I even canceled the interview last Monday, recruiter wasn't there so went over her head and left message for manager to not expect me. Got a call from them today. Explicitly put "this is a very complicated position to fill and we want you to know that we will be very flexible on the compensation front for the right person. Please reconsider" So needless to say, I rescheduled for next Monday. I thought the market was exra tight, never expected this to come back to me....thought I'd burned that bridge just by canceling.

Comment

Congrats Joe! Sounds like today is going to be very lucky for you.......good luck at your 341!! Maybe stop and buy a lottery ticket on the way home...
                                Filed Ch 7 Sept '10, 341 Meeting Oct '10, Discharged Dec '10, Case Closed Jan '11

EQ 2/8/11 - 584, 6/2/11 - 677

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X