OUCH!!! I just got my Pacer bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OUCH!!! I just got my Pacer bill

So I read all the warnings about Pacer and I told myself that I wouldn't go overboard but when I found out that our Trustee was 'the crazy one' I went overboard. Right after we filed our attorney told us that our Trustee was the one who was very particular and could be difficult so I started checking all his recent cases. I spent a whole day looking him up and seeing how many cases he continued and for what reasons. So I knew that was going to be over the $10 mark but I wasn't expecting $122.64!

I know this isn't as bad as some people have seen but I have certainly learned a lot. I have 32 days before this bill is due and 36 days until discharge. I am not going to complain about this bill because the information I have learned is priceless but I will stay off Pacer(at least for this month!)
    FILED 8/05/2010
    REPORT OF NO DISTRIBUTION 09/14/2010
    DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 11/15/2010

Originally posted by mekia2001 View Post
    So I read all the warnings about Pacer and I told myself that I wouldn't go overboard but when I found out that our Trustee was 'the crazy one' I went overboard. Right after we filed our attorney told us that our Trustee was the one who was very particular and could be difficult so I started checking all his recent cases. I spent a whole day looking him up and seeing how many cases he continued and for what reasons. So I knew that was going to be over the $10 mark but I wasn't expecting $122.64!

I know this isn't as bad as some people have seen but I have certainly learned a lot. I have 32 days before this bill is due and 36 days until discharge. I am not going to complain about this bill because the information I have learned is priceless but I will stay off Pacer(at least for this month!)
    OUCH!!!...I just got mine and I'm sorry to say I'm at $0.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Yes, I too was surprised once, but not to that degree. Stay under 10 and it is not charged. That is a lot of pages. For you your best bet is to look at the index for any changes. one page unless something changes. Then go for it. It may cost you a buck at most, but if not more, it won't cost anything. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by mekia2001 View Post

LOL! Sorry, but this is why we try to warn everyone. When you see a new listing in your case, open it up and save it to your hard drive so you can look at it again, without having to pay again. You should create a folder on your hard drive and save each new event into it.

One poster, before filing, had racked up such a PACER bill--around $600.00--that she actually included PACER as a Creditor, and got it discharged.

I do NOT recommend this as a course of action.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I just discovered this today, you can review your Billing History anytime by going to: My Pacer Account / Review Billing History... It has current /past charges... Hope this helps others, as no reason to be surprise...Showed I had $7 charges last quarter, then they start over, now I have $0.32 charges for this quarter.

Comment

I reviewed my detail billing and one week before my 341 is when I went crazy! On 9/6/2010 I reviewed a lot of cases that had my Trustee involved. Of course now I know I was overreacting but this whole process has been stressful but at least it is slowly coming to an end. I am not thrilled to have to pay this but considering I paid a lot less in attorney fees than most people, I have no problem paying $122.64 and ending this chapter of my life. Looking forward to rebuilding!
            FILED 8/05/2010
            REPORT OF NO DISTRIBUTION 09/14/2010
            DISCHARGED AND CLOSED 11/15/2010

Comment

holy crap! I've never gotten a bill for PACER - always managed to stay under the $10 since we filed 7 months ago. I made it a habit to only check for updates on Friday's and like AngelinaCat - printed it out and saved it to our system.

Comment

I log in daily, but only check if there is a change in date of last filing. If not, I log back out with no charges.
                Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

I just got my statement yesterday - I think the total charges for last quarter for me were something like $7.32. I didn't have to pay anything since it was under $10. As Joe mentioned, when you do the query, it will show the date of last filing up at the top. Check that, and if there is nothing new, then you can log out without incurring any charges.

I did do one search on my trustee at one point, and incurred something like $2.00 in charges for that one search - so fortunately, I learned my lesson from that - lol.
                  Filed: 6/30/2010
                  341: 7/26/2010
                  Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Unless you are an attorney, a PACER bill over $30 for the quarter is a LOT of money on PACER. My first PACER bill was over $120 and the second one was about $75 or so dollars. My current PACER bill came in at $15 this past quarter. My PACER bill should be under $10 from this point on... since I'm now discharged and closed.

You really must be careful with PACER. When you're in bankruptcy, and especially a Chapter 13, that $130 could mean the difference between eating or not eating for a week that quarter.
                    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

What is PACER?

Comment

Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER). A system to view the court docket for all cases.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

what does it mean when theres a change in date of last filling?
                          Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                          Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                          Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Means a new document was uploaded on your case. Something new to look at.

Comment

i just logged on to pacer and theres a new doc

guess from who?
                              bass & associates (best buy card) i am sure they want me to reaffirm
                              should i ? NOT
                              Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                              Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                              Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X