top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK to sell possessions during chapter 7 case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK to sell possessions during chapter 7 case?

We filed our chapter 7 September 29, 341 is set for November 8th. We opted to surrender the house, for which the bank has offered to do a DIL instead of a foreclosure. So far so good, however, our attorney has stipulated that we will be out of the house by January 31st.

So, here is where my question comes in. Currently pacer shows us as no asset case. We really don't want to move all this junk here, as we will be moving cross country, plus need to raise some funds to get the moving truck and all. Is it safe to assume no asset means we can sell off this stuff at a rummage sale now? As winter is upon us, we would need to do this in the next couple weeks, before the snow flies.

Any advice, thoughts on the matter?

Thanks Y'all
    -----------------
    Filed Ch 7 9/29/10
    341 Scheduled 11/8/10

Yes - call your attorney and ask him/her since you havent had your 341 yet. Better to err on the side of caution ;)

Comment

Yes, err on the side of caution. The Trustee "might" have some objections to some of your exemptions, and until the 341 Meeting you won't know that. I would personally wait and especially talk to your attorney first.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

i agree with pandora....just give your atty a heads up....shoot we had to sell everything...to pay our atty and also to keep a roof over our heads..i even sold my clothes...really.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

The only things we exempted were the 2 vehicles, one of which we need to reaffirm on, the other is paid for but only worth about $3000, and the household/personal items. We just want to get rid of some of the larger things, like a chest freezer, excercise bench, table and chairs...and then some smaller things and some old clothes. Personally, I don't think anything is really worth much, but you never know. I threw an old queen size mattress out by the road, and five minutes later it was gone, so I guess that had value to someone.

OK, we will have to check with the attorney then. Thanks for the input.
          -----------------
          Filed Ch 7 9/29/10
          341 Scheduled 11/8/10

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
            i agree with pandora....just give your atty a heads up....shoot we had to sell everything...to pay our atty and also to keep a roof over our heads..i even sold my clothes...really.
            Tobee, your making an old man's mind wander. What are you wearing now? LOL.

Back to the question: The stuff belongs to the estate 100% technically. Because you are now a non asset case does not mean this cannot change. Your Trustee owns your stuff until he either abandons it, or you get a discharge or dismissal.

I have heard those who will have a yard sale for yard sale monies and if you use this money for exempt stuff, the Trustee would probably not make any issue. If you sold an antique or car for big bucks that would be different but a yard/garage sale netting you several hundred dollars would get you by. However, I certainly would not do it before a 341 as one of the main questions asked is "has anything changed since you filed" and of course it would have. Best bet as all have said, is run it by your lawyer. He will probably say, have your sale after your 341. I would keep all receipts and a sales journal though just in case. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              LOL! tsk tsk 'Hub ...getchermindouttathegutter

Comment

Back to the question: The stuff belongs to the estate 100% technically. Because you are now a non asset case does not mean this cannot change. Your Trustee owns your stuff until he either abandons it, or you get a discharge or dismissal.

I have heard those who will have a yard sale for yard sale monies and if you use this money for exempt stuff, the Trustee would probably not make any issue. If you sold an antique or car for big bucks that would be different but a yard/garage sale netting you several hundred dollars would get you by. However, I certainly would not do it before a 341 as one of the main questions asked is "has anything changed since you filed" and of course it would have. Best bet as all have said, is run it by your lawyer. He will probably say, have your sale after your 341. I would keep all receipts and a sales journal though just in case. 'Hub
                ROFL!!!! i'm definitely NOT telling you!!!! (i'm still in my cute pj's) AND i'm telling AngelinaCat!!!!!!!!!! you naughty!

and back to business....i agree with hub..... if you sold a car...it's a bit different that some old clothes...at a yard sale.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                  LOL! tsk tsk 'Hub ...getchermindouttathegutter
                  i think we need to keep an "eye" on hub...

Comment

Oh don't worry, Mrs. C does a fine job of that, and she has a "mean" swing.
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Oh don't worry, Mrs. C does a fine job of that, and she has a "mean" swing.
                      oh!! i'm certain she does...;)

Comment

Originally posted by McMark View Post
                        So, here is where my question comes in. Currently pacer shows us as no asset case. We really don't want to move all this junk here, as we will be moving cross country, plus need to raise some funds to get the moving truck and all. Is it safe to assume no asset means we can sell off this stuff at a rummage sale now? As winter is upon us, we would need to do this in the next couple weeks, before the snow flies.

Any advice, thoughts on the matter?

Thanks Y'all
                        As all said, you need to wait until your 341. If the trustee see's you as a no asset, they will file a report of no distribution and will abandon your assets, meaning you can do what you want with them. Until that point, your assets belong to the estate. Likely no one would care if you sold some stuff, but it's better to be on the side of caution as it could be an issue....talk to your lawyer.

Comment

Dang, Tobee, I did not realize that you had to see your clothes, wow, so sorry

Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                            Dang, Tobee, I did not realize that you had to see your clothes, wow, so sorry
                            fallon...all kidding aside..i did. we had to sell everything we had to make the move. it was really humbling. talk about losing the clothes off you back...well let's just say we took that expression to a whole new level.

Comment

Yea, the good eye.
                              Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X