top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Non-Taxable Reimbursements (Food/Mileage) Count as Income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Do Non-Taxable Reimbursements (Food/Mileage) Count as Income?

Hubby gets reimbursed for meals away from home by his employer (a whopping $12 per day) and on rare occasion for mileage. These reimbursements are not taxed but come to him via his payroll check.

Opinions please: Are these reimbursements considered income?

As always, a BIG advance thank you to anyone who can answer!
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

I'm not positive, but I think it will be considered income, but you will also have an expense for the food/mileage it reimburses.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you LITR. So far, we are counting it as income.

It isn't a HUGE amount of money, but enough over the 6 months period to move our DMI ~$58.00. Since we are over the median income, we are looking twice at as well as questioning everything.

I handed off our paperwork last week and go back to the attorney's office on Tuesday. I just wanted some other input.
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

We are in the same boat. Hubby has had some extra mileage reimbursements lately because he's had to drive one of our cars out of town and back for work. It isn't HUGE, but like you said, when you are over the median, every little bit counts.

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
          We are in the same boat. Hubby has had some extra mileage reimbursements lately because he's had to drive one of our cars out of town and back for work. It isn't HUGE, but like you said, when you are over the median, every little bit counts.
          LOL It seems like paychecks are like feast or famine sometimes, doesn't it? And when you'd like it to be on the famine side, you get the feast... every time (and vice versa).

I hope all goes well with you guys. Have you filed yet?

My first appointment with the attorney's office since dropping off my information packet was postponed until next week. More time to ponder and think. A dangerous past-time with me these days!

Comment

We haven't. I swear it keeps getting pushed farther and farther out. Some days I feel like the world is out to get us.

We should have been filing this month but again (for like the 50th time) life has gotten in the way. Car needed some "maintenance", 10 year old got sick which required doctor trip and and meds. Dog got sick. It's always something. So now I'll most likely be the first of January. I'm not sure we can hold out that long. We were served papers in October. *Sigh* It stinks being this stressed over the holidays.

Anyway, sorry to go off on my pity party there. Eek.

Comment

I am not a lawyer...but I think this comes down to how it is SHOWN on the paycheck.

I was a travelling businessman for years and always received money for mileage (actual miles driven) and a per diem for food. These were expense REIMBURSEMENTS because I used my personal property (my car and my gas) and were simply REIMBURSED for the company using my stuff.

I can't see how this is income....just my opinion...

On a separate note - one "expense" many people forget about this time of year is will they owe taxes in 2011 (for 2010 and backward.) The Trustee usually starts sniffing around for potential 2011 tax refunds - and as a creditor you should be doing the opposite - build a case you will OWE money in 2011. Best to start running your likely 2010 taxes now. TruboTax and TaxAct are 2 free websites to start running scenarios.

I agree....every nickel of legitimate expenses counts!
              Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
                We haven't. I swear it keeps getting pushed farther and farther out. Some days I feel like the world is out to get us.

We should have been filing this month but again (for like the 50th time) life has gotten in the way. Car needed some "maintenance", 10 year old got sick which required doctor trip and and meds. Dog got sick. It's always something. So now I'll most likely be the first of January. I'm not sure we can hold out that long. We were served papers in October. *Sigh* It stinks being this stressed over the holidays.

Anyway, sorry to go off on my pity party there. Eek.
                Don't apologize for a 'pity party' - I think we all are stressed (at least in some small way) and this seems to be an AWESOME place to vent - I'd be willing to wager that everyone here has been in a similar situation at least once or twice.

{{{Hugs}}} for you.

I was so surprised when I went to my doctor and told her how stressed I was. She gave me a super mild anti-anxiety medication and changed my blood pressure meds (it was sky high this morning! ugh.) Maybe your doctor could do something similar? The worst thing that he/she can say is "No".

Originally posted by gman View Post
                I am not a lawyer...but I think this comes down to how it is SHOWN on the paycheck.

I was a travelling businessman for years and always received money for mileage (actual miles driven) and a per diem for food. These were expense REIMBURSEMENTS because I used my personal property (my car and my gas) and were simply REIMBURSED for the company using my stuff.

I can't see how this is income....just my opinion...

On a separate note - one "expense" many people forget about this time of year is will they owe taxes in 2011 (for 2010 and backward.) The Trustee usually starts sniffing around for potential 2011 tax refunds - and as a creditor you should be doing the opposite - build a case you will OWE money in 2011. Best to start running your likely 2010 taxes now. TruboTax and TaxAct are 2 free websites to start running scenarios.

I agree....every nickel of legitimate expenses counts!
                I am planning on asking my attorney how these reimbursements are considered by our trustee.

On a side note: I have had my fingers crossed for you that you hear something from your 341, gman. I am sure it is agonizing to wait BUT the good news (IMHO) is that no one from your 341 date has heard either.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X