Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by screentest View Post
    Side Note:

We have neighbors that are destitute and should file BK. They would rather pay their CC bills than feed their kids. We have loaned them money this year to purchase their kids school supplies, clothes, food and will help them for Christmas this year. Every time I recommend they file BK and get rid of their debt for the health of their family...they give the typical disgusted look and comment how only "such and such" type of people file BK. They are complete slaves to the big banks and are exactly the type of people that the banks depend on to keep the money rolling in. While they just barely squeak by, the banks are making Billions in profit every quarter. I did not share our BK with them, I just keep it close to the vest.

After they pay all their bills they literally have $200 left over for food, gas and misc for a family of 5. 3 kids under 10. Very sad situation.

No regrets for me so far.
    ST
    This is so true. I am a big proponent of family first, banks second. Admittedly I fell into this category for about a year and my family suffered for it. This year after filing, I can’t tell you how proud I was to see my son participate with the cub scouts and to learn from those experiences. If we had not filed and continued to play into the banks game we would not have had the money to pay for many of the trips he went on. Even though the costs were only gas and food money we would not have had it if we did not file.

Comment

although at first this was so scary...we were feeling as though someone was always breathing down our necks....with time that feeling begins to lift and you are on your way to a better life.

chances are you will not need a "credit" check for your son's pre school if you now can pay CASH!!! we never did use our cards for luxury items...however, now, i prefer using cash for everything....it's time passing that will help build your credit back up for you. i guess there is something to be said about time heals all wounds...or at least i hope so!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Like many on this board, I wished I had filed earlier (say a few months), but probably like many on this board, I really wanted to try to work things and pay off the creditors, plus I was afraid of what bk would do to my credit history. But once I saw how mean the credit card companies were, how they would call me over and over and over 5-10 times a day everyday, even when I called them or tried to work out an arrangement, I knew they were just trying to stress me into compliance.

I also saw how the credit card companies were going to nail my credit report anyways, so I figured enough is enough already. I was tired of them tacking on more and more fees and penalties, instead of trying to work things out with me.

It is a huge relief not to have to deal with all that anymore.

Comment

While I do regret the need to have filed, I don't regret having filed. If that makes sense. It was the only way out of the hole I got myself into. I am on my way to being in a better financial place.

BTW, I bought a car 3 weeks ago. I would have preferred to pay cash, but I was fortunate to get a loan with a decent interest rate.

Comment

I started receiving offers about vehicles even before the discharge. They know 99% of filings of bankruptcy get approved. They know you can't file another bankruptcy for many years and you have better cash flow than before the bankruptcy. So the car dealers know you are a good bet. I receive about three offers per week and my chapter 7 hasn't been discharged yet.

Comment

My bankruptcy filing was actually a relief and I was very thankful when it was discharged. The bankruptcy was caused from a failed business which could no longer support me, due to the recession. It's such a relief to be debt free and have a fresh start.

Comment

My minimum payments to my credit cards were over $4500/month!! Let's just say I have 0 regrets on filing. In fact, it is the best thing I've done from a financial point of view.

Comment

This is a great thread, I am getting ready to file at the end of the month, and I too wonder about future regrets. To be honest, I am so disgusted with the credit card companys and all of the fees they add on every month. I tried to negotiate with them to put me on a fixed monthly payment, no deal...they told me to default, and then call back and settle (great advice) not!!!
                  So now they are either going to get some of their money if we are a ch.13 or none if we are a ch.7, that's what they get for being so greedy, we had every intention of paying them back, but they made it too hard for consumers to keep up. At this point I hope I live on a cash basis for the rest of our lives...does that sound unreasonable?
                  Thank you guys all for posting, it gives us prefilers hope, that there is a positive to making this very hard decision.

Comment

Every time I apply for a new finance position......

Comment

NOPE! No regrets about filing, just about getting myself into this mess in the first place. I just bought a car, 3 months after discharge. Interest rate is 15%, but I bought something I could afford, was in my monthly budget, and most of all, I love it!

Comment

I agree with Mere- thank you all for sharing. It make me less stressed to read everyone's comments. Nearly 3 years ago we got to the point where we could no longer make our min. payments on the multiple cc we had. I had my hours cut back at work and we had increased expenses. The cc companies didn't want to work with us and our interest rates l went up. Without doing much reseach we signed up w/Freedom Debt Relief. Biggest mistake ever! I should run some numbers, but we are probably more in debt now than when we started with them even though we haven't incurred any new cc charges since then. Then my husband lost his job and was unemployed for over a year and they took our $ and dumped us b/c we could no longer pay them $700 a month for their "services" (or rather lack thereof). I wish we would have filed BK to begin with. We'd be so much better off now. We hadn't even considered BK until a month ago- we were very misinformed- we'd lose our house, our vehicles, etc and we didn't want to be one of "those" people that filed for BK. I'm over that now. We paid a retainer fee today to a BK lawyer that we met with for almost 90 minutes (free consult) and did a lot of research on. He's a little more than what my husband would like to pay but I feel comfortable that we made the right decision. I am confident that at the end of this we will be happy we did this- and happy (in reference to another post) that we put our family first over the banks (not to mention JDB!). Not sure yet if we will be in a 7 or a 13, which makes me kind of nervous (we are under median and also pass the means test, but have arrears on our 1st mortgage)- but either way it will be nice to get this weight lifted off of us- not cringing everytime the phone rings and everytime someone unexpected knocks at the door, or worrying about the next ball dropping- like the house or cars needing major repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
                          I agree with Mere- thank you all for sharing. It make me less stressed to read everyone's comments. Nearly 3 years ago we got to the point where we could no longer make our min. payments on the multiple cc we had. I had my hours cut back at work and we had increased expenses. The cc companies didn't want to work with us and our interest rates l went up. Without doing much reseach we signed up w/Freedom Debt Relief. Biggest mistake ever! I should run some numbers, but we are probably more in debt now than when we started with them even though we haven't incurred any new cc charges since then. Then my husband lost his job and was unemployed for over a year and they took our $ and dumped us b/c we could no longer pay them $700 a month for their "services" (or rather lack thereof). I wish we would have filed BK to begin with. We'd be so much better off now. We hadn't even considered BK until a month ago- we were very misinformed- we'd lose our house, our vehicles, etc and we didn't want to be one of "those" people that filed for BK. I'm over that now. We paid a retainer fee today to a BK lawyer that we met with for almost 90 minutes (free consult) and did a lot of research on. He's a little more than what my husband would like to pay but I feel comfortable that we made the right decision. I am confident that at the end of this we will be happy we did this- and happy (in reference to another post) that we put our family first over the banks (not to mention JDB!). Not sure yet if we will be in a 7 or a 13, which makes me kind of nervous (we are under median and also pass the means test, but have arrears on our 1st mortgage)- but either way it will be nice to get this weight lifted off of us- not cringing everytime the phone rings and everytime someone unexpected knocks at the door, or worrying about the next ball dropping- like the house or cars needing major repairs.
                          i know this is such a difficult time for you. it was hard for most all of us that had to go through this. believe me when i say, it really was one of the better decision we ever made. it's all such an emotional roller coaster...but you'll land on your feet!

best of luck to you and keep in touch!!!
                          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I LOOKED AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD AGAIN. I haven't regretted filing BK for a second. The BK makes me think my life is sad and that I used to have it all including a very successful career, but as for BK being a mistake, no way, it's been the smartest move I could ever make. I don't feel ashamed in the slightest, I don't feel any sympathy for the creditors in the slightest. Anyone that feels ashamed or bad for the creditors needs to take a real life evaluation of their situation and the real world we live in and look out for their very survival!

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                              I LOOKED AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD AGAIN. I haven't regretted filing BK for a second. The BK makes me think my life is sad and that I used to have it all including a very successful career, but as for BK being a mistake, no way, it's been the smartest move I could ever make. I don't feel ashamed in the slightest, I don't feel any sympathy for the creditors in the slightest. Anyone that feels ashamed or bad for the creditors needs to take a real life evaluation of their situation and the real world we live in and look out for their very survival!
                              Well said helpme2010, well said

Comment

you made an excellent point helpme...i guess it's really time to really start looking out for what's best for us as individuals...but i know at first i felt guilt and shame and all the feeling that come along with filing. but, now i'm soooooooo over it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X