Gift Basket for Attorney and Staff of 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift Basket for Attorney and Staff of 2

Hey guys, I was wondering. I'm so happy and pleased with my attorney that I'm wondering if I should send him and his 2 staff members a gift basket. I mean, I did pay them $1,500, but they did a good job.
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

That is a personal decision - if you have the money after your discharge and want to buy gift baskets, that is up to you as you know your finances better than anyone else.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Drowning, I am doing the EXACT same thing. My 341 is this coming tueday, and i was going to send them one to arrive before Xmas, because they have been fabulous and sweet! Don't feel bad about it at all....they aren't even all that expensive....If i was you, I would try and look in the mall for a Hickory Farms box...Sears had the medium size ones on sale for $14 this year and large boxes for only $20! If you know anything about Hickory Farms, they usually sell for almost 3 times that at this time of year!!! Then you could just drop it off or have it Fed-Exed. Ordering online gift baskets costs way too much, if you ask me.
      Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way but both of you have filed or are filing bankruptcy. Gifts of this nature are not expected by the attorney or his staff from their BK clients, and, working in a law office myself, many offices have cut out sending and/or receiving gifts due to the cost and economy except for maybe their most elite clients. A thank you card or a nice thank you Christmas card is much cheaper and expresses more and makes more sense under the situation. Take that spare money and save it cause you are going to need it as you recover.

Comment

many offices have cut out sending and/or receiving gifts due to the cost and economy except for maybe their most elite clients
          I don't get what this means....how does an office "stop receiving gifts"? It doesn't cost them anything to receive it...so I don't get this. I understand the notation about saving the money, and I also understand that yes writing a card or letter is also sweet, but i also know that in the case of a larger firm where there have been more than 1 lawyer, paralegal, assistance staff, etc. involved, it's just a nice way to express your thanks to them all in such a way that they will all be sure to see it and partake in it.

Besides, a $30 gift basket isn't breaking my bank. I can use some of my exempted wild card cash I am not talking about buying them a buffet style catered lunch here, just a nice basket ...at any rate, I was just noting that you aren't alone in wanting to do this, drowning, so if you choose to, it's likely not uncommon. Filing BK means you can't pay your creditors thousands of dollars in the long term. Money for small gifts is still allowed in anyone's budget.

My lawyer told me he had one of his male clients gave him an unexpected hug him the other day after his 341 meeting.....maybe this is just how we give our hugs
          Last edited by BKlooker; 12-16-2010, 08:45 PM.
          Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

I was thinking this is why we filed for bankruptcy - for a better quality of life. My attorneys assisted me in giving me back my sanity and dare I say, my life, whether they know it or not. I am grateful. I actually saw my attorney in action working on my case. I think he went a little above and beyond. I appreciate all the feedbacks. Thanks, BKlooker, for understanding my intentions exactly.
            Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

I think the gift baskets are a nice idea as long as you can afford them. You could also consider baking some homemade cookies (yummy) for the holidays!
              Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
              New Job 7-2011

Comment

I am with you Drowning....my lawyer gave me back my life, my sanity, and the ability to actually HAVE a future. I have read up and down these message boards....horror stories of people who have lawyers who don't return phone calls, royally eff up paperwork, fail to catch gleaming inaccuracies and mistakes in means tests and schedules that a paralegal may have made, and cost people thousands, only to not show up to the 341 meeting even! Some people have had their case screwed up so bad, they have to withdraw, find another lawyer, and file again 6 months later, costing them a full year of their life and countless hours of stress and anxiety. If that had happened to me, I think I would have literally been placed in a psych ward somewhere because of my anxiety disorder...... there is no way I could handle it well.

My lawyer's office has operatesd like a well oiled machine throughout my process, and has seen me breakdown crying on more than 1 occasion now due to stress of everything. $2K to a lawyer to shed a house (and all debt associated therewith), all credit card debt, and be able to keep virtually everything else I own legally without worrying and having a lawyer who doesn't treat me like I am just 1 farm animal amongst his thousands.....there aren't enough words to express how relieved I am that there is light at the end of my tunnel, and that the dreams I have had of moving to be with family aren't impossible.

A gift basket and a nice note is the least I feel I SHOULD do....that's why I don't feel bad about it one bit...my 2 cents.

Comment

I was thinking about doing the same for the paralegal that has helped me even before we deecided to file. She has helped me through this whole process and just wanted her to know how much I appreciate all that she has done.

Comment

I bought the basket this morning! It felt great! I wrote "Just a little thing to say thanks and Happy Holidays!"

Comment

Costco has gorgeous gift baskets at very reasonable cost.

Its a nice gesture if you feel you can afford it.
                      Marie

Comment

Originally posted by BKlooker View Post
                        I don't get what this means....how does an office "stop receiving gifts"? It doesn't cost them anything to receive it...so I don't get this. I understand the notation about saving the money, and I also understand that yes writing a card or letter is also sweet, but i also know that in the case of a larger firm where there have been more than 1 lawyer, paralegal, assistance staff, etc. involved, it's just a nice way to express your thanks to them all in such a way that they will all be sure to see it and partake in it.

Besides, a $30 gift basket isn't breaking my bank. I can use some of my exempted wild card cash I am not talking about buying them a buffet style catered lunch here, just a nice basket ...at any rate, I was just noting that you aren't alone in wanting to do this, drowning, so if you choose to, it's likely not uncommon. Filing BK means you can't pay your creditors thousands of dollars in the long term. Money for small gifts is still allowed in anyone's budget.

My lawyer told me he had one of his male clients gave him an unexpected hug him the other day after his 341 meeting.....maybe this is just how we give our hugs
                        It is expressed to clientele not to send gifts. Many businesses and establishments do it. At many businesses it is against policy to receive gifts and the gifts have to be reported as to their value. Many places donate gifts received to various charities so your gift basket could end up at the area homeless shelter. Just telling you like it is. You can do whatever you want with your money but gifts from clients who just filed BK are certainly not expected.

Comment

I am with you Drowning....my lawyer gave me back my life, my sanity, and the ability to actually HAVE a future. I have read up and down these message boards....horror stories of people who have lawyers who don't return phone calls, royally eff up paperwork, fail to catch gleaming inaccuracies and mistakes in means tests and schedules that a paralegal may have made, and cost people thousands, only to not show up to the 341 meeting even! Some people have had their case screwed up so bad, they have to withdraw, find another lawyer, and file again 6 months later, costing them a full year of their life and countless hours of stress and anxiety. If that had happened to me, I think I would have literally been placed in a psych ward somewhere because of my anxiety disorder...... there is no way I could handle it well.

My lawyer's office has operatesd like a well oiled machine throughout my process, and has seen me breakdown crying on more than 1 occasion now due to stress of everything. $2K to a lawyer to shed a house (and all debt associated therewith), all credit card debt, and be able to keep virtually everything else I own legally without worrying and having a lawyer who doesn't treat me like I am just 1 farm animal amongst his thousands.....there aren't enough words to express how relieved I am that there is light at the end of my tunnel, and that the dreams I have had of moving to be with family aren't impossible.

A gift basket and a nice note is the least I feel I SHOULD do....that's why I don't feel bad about it one bit...my 2 cents.
                          So, you want to (and even feel you SHOULD) give your attorney a gift for not being a lousy attorney? Everything in your description about how your attorney helped you is exactly what an attorney is supposed to do, what most attorneys do do, and what you paid your attorney to do. We hear a lot on this board about bad attorneys. That doesn't mean that an attorney who does his job well and treats his clients as individuals should get a special gift for doing his job to the high standards every attorney should.

it's likely not uncommon.
                          Actually, in my experience working for attorneys for over 20 years, it is uncommon for clients to send gifts. Not to say it doesn't happen and it isn't appreciated, but I wouldn't say it is common. In over 20 years, I can't think of 20 gifts received from clients.

Really? Do you think a gift basket feels like a hug? I bet the attorney will remember that hug longer than a gift basket. A client whose case is coming to an end sent my boss a letter last week saying how happy she is with our work and specifically mentioned me and praised my work. That letter meant a lot more than any gift basket ever could.

Just my 2 cents. If you are inspired to give a gift basket and can afford it, go for it. Your attorney and his staff will appreciate it. But, I'm not sure it will be appreciated more than a card or letter with a sincere expression of your appreciation.
                          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X