Mortgage wants attorney fee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Mortgage wants attorney fee?

I have been discharged from Chapter 7, for a few months now. I went to pay my Mortgage and noticed a $75 Service fee. When I called they told me this is there attorney fee for my bankruptcy? I never received a notice for this, is this normal?
    THANKS!

not normal. who services your loan?

Comment

did you reaffirm your loan???

maybe it's a late charge if you stopped paying during the bk??? but an atty's fee...NO....i would talk to a supervisor and have it removed or tell them to add it onto the end of your mortgage....or better yet...tell the bank to foreclosure for the $75 because you will never pay it...(just kidding).....but really...that is ridiculous...
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It is Select Portfolio Servicing. Yes i reaffirmed and i never stopped paying during the BK.
        Thanks!

Comment

I don't think they legally can assess that fee since their fee had to have occurred before discharge and they are trying to charge you a fee in relation to the bankruptcy. If I were you, I would be calling my attorney. They can't charge you a fee for bankruptcy... just like they can not charge you a late fee or a fee for paying you mortgage over the phone..... my understanding is this is against the law.

Anyone else understand that to be true?
          My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

dneil, that is my understanding as well.

Comment

Why on earth did you reaffirm your mortgage???
              Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
              Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
              Case went without a hitch!
              I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

It is against the law in most places to do this. I had to deal with this with Citi on my 2nd mortgage. I called them up and told them I have a Truth In Lending Statement that indicates what I'm supposed to be paying. (You get that with your closing papers.) They withdrew the fee. Yes, you can take them to court with this, file a complaint with the Attorney General, etc. This is a scam for them to try to get more money out of you.
                Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X