THANKFUL for all the tips on spending down money on groceries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANKFUL for all the tips on spending down money on groceries

Now that I have fianlly had my 341 and am in the waiting period, I just wanted to point out how helpful it now is that I was advised to buy food & staples to spend down some of my money.

It turned out that due to unemployment and no real assets (house underwater and giving it up), it was unneccessary for me to spend any extra BUT - now that prices are sky-rocketing, I cannot tell you how thankful I am that my freezer & cupboards are full as well as having a good supply of paper products in stock. This will allow me to live for quite a while on the things I have rather than buying much.

For anyone now contemplating BK, this is something you may want to pay serious attention to. Not only are they allowable expenses, but with the continued rising costs, you also may feel grateful when you see full cupboards. It takes one of the worries off your mind.

I am also very glad that I bought a foodsaver (I was worried it would be considererd an unneccessary expense but lawyer said it was okay to buy) as it allowed me to buy meat & chicken when they were 2 for 1 or on sale at a decent price and re-package it as the foodsaver vacuum seals it and things last a lot longer.

I am very, very thankful I now have these things when I see the grocery ads!

This is good advice, however, any Trustee will scrutinize any large expenditures before a bankruptcy case. If you suddenly have a large transaction at a super market, i.e. much higher than normal, you'll have to explain it to the Trustee. Over-purchasing groceries (like opening up your own supermarket in your pantry) or going on a bingefest doesn't count as an allowable expense.
    Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BKAttyMI View Post
      This is good advice, however, any Trustee will scrutinize any large expenditures before a bankruptcy case. If you suddenly have a large transaction at a super market, i.e. much higher than normal, you'll have to explain it to the Trustee. Over-purchasing groceries (like opening up your own supermarket in your pantry) or going on a bingefest doesn't count as an allowable expense.
      really, i'm not too sure or certain about that. if you can substantiate your purchase...i.e. "the fear of going hungry"....i think it just MAY be understood by even the most harden trustee's.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
        Now that I have fianlly had my 341 and am in the waiting period, I just wanted to point out how helpful it now is that I was advised to buy food & staples to spend down some of my money.

It turned out that due to unemployment and no real assets (house underwater and giving it up), it was unneccessary for me to spend any extra BUT - now that prices are sky-rocketing, I cannot tell you how thankful I am that my freezer & cupboards are full as well as having a good supply of paper products in stock. This will allow me to live for quite a while on the things I have rather than buying much.

For anyone now contemplating BK, this is something you may want to pay serious attention to. Not only are they allowable expenses, but with the continued rising costs, you also may feel grateful when you see full cupboards. It takes one of the worries off your mind.

I am also very glad that I bought a foodsaver (I was worried it would be considererd an unneccessary expense but lawyer said it was okay to buy) as it allowed me to buy meat & chicken when they were 2 for 1 or on sale at a decent price and re-package it as the foodsaver vacuum seals it and things last a lot longer.

I am very, very thankful I now have these things when I see the grocery ads!
        You are welcome. I've been preaching this. I hope it was my post.

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
        really, i'm not too sure or certain about that. if you can substantiate your purchase...i.e. "the fear of going hungry"....i think it just MAY be understood by even the most harden trustee's.
        I'm not sure what she purchased. I think a vacuum thing not a freezer. Even so, the argument could be, she save today's food at yesterday's prices.

Originally posted by BKAttyMI View Post
        That may be so my friend, but it is food, not an LCD TV. Unless sold black market, the monies paid will feed her family. Any Trustee who watches TV can see where this Country is heading. I doubt it will be challenged and she is past her 341.

'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

hub:

I'm not sure what she purchased. I think a vacuum thing not a freezer. Even so, the argument could be, she save today's food at yesterday's prices.
          she ONLY purchases what's needed, i believe...she's a trooper!
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thanks Hub (yes, your voice is one I listen closely to) and tobee - I already had a freezer from the 'good old days' and buying the foodsaver (which was $99 granted - but I've had one for years and it had finally given up the ghost) allowed me to vacuum seal food, much like they do in stores/factories. By having these things I stocked up when things were 2 for 1. Any trustee could look at my receipts and see exactly what I was doing. And since you can only buy a certain amount (although I did go to the store more often during the week (s) this happened - to stock up even more), it is quite obvious what I was buying.

I also have to assume they see the same ads I see and again, knew what I was doing, and, in fact, were doing the same thing if they had any brains.

These sales don't happen that often but I did not pay attention to that until after I realized jobs were scarce and I paid attention to what folks said on this forum. I do not have a 'grocery store' in my house, but I do have enough to last until the next 2 for 1 sale and at that time I will again buy what I can to stock up.

Then, when I finally have to leave my house, however long that will take, I will probably sell my freezer as I will have to move to an apartment (if I find a job) or in with family if I don't.

Comment

Don't forget that filing Chapter 7 BK gives you an excellent excuse to be zeroed out financially and thus be eligible for Food Stamps. It was right after the my filing that I was finally able to apply for Food Stamps, as before that, I always had $2K in non-retirement liquid assets lying around (i.e., the most cash an applicant can have.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X