Another Social Security Disability Income question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Another Social Security Disability Income question

Sorry folks but I am lost at this one! I already paid a retainer fee and hired an attorney for my wife and I. He had told us that unfortunately my wife's SSDI is counted on the Means test for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Is this true??? Some people tell me it shouldnt and what I am reading on the internet is that any form of Social Security Income is not included on the test! If it has to be counted then we may not qualify for a chapter 7 here in Arizona. My annual income is about $52000 and her SSDI is around $22000 a year and we have a family of 4. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Social Security, for the purposes of means testing IS NOT included as income if received by the debtors(s) or, as I read 11 USC 101 (10A)(B), any dependant. So long as your wife is either filing with you or is a “dependant” it is not included on Form 22. However, Social Security IS included on Schedule I (your real monthly income) and, if your real income minus your basic living expenses do no not leave you close to or in the negative each month you could have a problem.

So, the question is. . .

Is your attorney telling you that you may have a problem as, despite being below median income, your real time budget may show you have the ability to pay creditors?

Des.

Comment

Yup - Des is correct on all counts. My SSD wasnt counted on means, however it was counted for DMI purposes, which turned out to be a great thing because if it werent, we would've had to surrender paid for vehicles due to not enough income to support base plan.

Comment

The idiocy of this legislation in its full glory-it doesn't count, but it really does-oy

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X