top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please give me your opinion on this potential solution to my debt problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please give me your opinion on this potential solution to my debt problem.

I am really feeling support by coming to this forum. Just to know that there are others who have gone through the hell I have gone through for the past two years is relief in itself - not to mention all the great advice I have received.

I want to get your opinion on a potential solution to my debt problem. Many of you have advised me to go ahead and file Chapter 7 since I am about to get sued by Chase Bank, Chrysler Financial, and U.S. Bank for around $130,000.00.

Here are the debts I am about to be sued over:

1. Chase Bank: $75,000.00 SBA Loan
    Secured with business assets only. Chase has made it clear they don't want my 12 Dell servers that would only sell for $200 each on eBay now.
    First court appearance was in late 2010 - I showed up, and Chase didn't. Haven't heard back from them since.

2. Chrysler Financial: $7,500.00 Vehicle Loan Balance
    This is the remaining balance on my wife's 2008 Jeep Commander that was repossessed in late 2010.

3. U.S. Bancorp: $48,000.00 Unsecured VISA Cards
    $30k of this was business VISA cards and the other $18k was for our personal VISA cards (wife and I).

None of these creditors has received a judgment against us yet. If I am correct, the first court appearance is an attempt to get a judgment. If they get one, they then have to file another lawsuit to determine my means of repayment and/or whether they can get a wage garnishment or levy my home or bank accounts. Am I correct in this assumption?

Okay, here's my idea. I go into court on each of these counts and represent myself as legal counsel. When the judge asks me to present my case, I tell him about how this particular creditor (Chrysler, U.S. Bank, and/or Chase) went bankrupt and received Federal bailout money in 2008/2009 "...financed in part by your Honor and myself." When this creditor needed mercy, the U.S. taxpayer stepped up to the plate and bailed them out. However, when I was only two months behind on my wife's Jeep payment, without notice Chrysler had it towed it out of our driveway in plain view of our neighbors.

I will explain to the judge how Chrysler, U.S. Bancorp, and Chase Bank overspent and bankrupted themselves by living lavishly beyond their means, and in so doing they pulled down the economy with them. This in turn bankrupted my business and sent several of my long-term devoted employees home with layoff notices - who in turn could not pay their mortgages and were forced into bankruptcy.

I will tell the judge that this creditor would not even be in business today to sue me "...if your Honor and I did not bail them out with our hard earned tax dollars." I will then submit Exhibit #A which will be a 5-page report of almost 1,000 large corporations and banks that received over half-a-trillion dollars in Federal bailout money. I will note to the judge that my business name is unfortunately not on that list, and that is why I am in court today.

I will also submit as Exhibit #B a news story from the Washington Examiner in 2009 about how Chrysler purchased the most expensive Superbowl TV commercial in history right after they received over $15-billion in bailout money in tax dollars "...financed in part by your Honor and myself." I will make sure to mention that U.S. Bank received $7-billion in bailout money and Chase Bank received more than $30-billion in bailout money.

I will remind the judge that, although these banks did pay the money back to the government - I am still waiting for my bailout check. If I would have received one, I wouldn't be in court today. In addition, I am asking that you void out this debt that I am being sued for based on the fact that "...if your Honor and myself didn't bail these banks out, they wouldn't have had the money to lawyer-up and sue hard-working Americans such as myself out of house and home."

My wife always tells me I should have become a defense lawyer... and I think I am up for the fight. I do very good in sales and convincing people of things that I am passionate about. I once got a judge removed from the bench in Illinois due to his courtroom behavior. My complaint launched an Illinois Bar hearing which ultimately resulted in my testifying before a grand jury of his peers. He became the first judge removed from the bench in Illinois in over 30 years. I can be tenacious when I feel I am being violated. But I also have enough business sense to try to pick my battles carefully without wasting precious energy and resources to fight a losing battle.

Worst case scenario is one of them gets a judgment and I file for Chapter 7 the next day before they can get another court date to try to collect. Best case scenario is that the judge agrees with me and declares the debt uncollectible. My wife thinks I might be able to convince at least one of the judges to do this if it is within his power to do so. However, could they endlessly appeal his judgment if that happens?

Even if I lose - at least I got to vent in a public hearing about these corrupt corporations and banks that got our bailout money while we all got the shaft in return.

What do you think... is this idea insane or genius?

I'd love to hear your opinion.
    Last edited by Broke2011; 04-24-2011, 02:00 PM.

Your argument is a loser. It has no legal basis and no judge is going to buy it.
    Honestly, you're taking this way to personally. BK is just a business decision. Take the emotion out of it and just file and go on with life.

Comment

As stated, this argument doesn't work! The simple fact is the majority of those banks paid back their loans... did you? Even if the banks did get "bailout" money, it was nothing more than a loan that they had to repay. Much of it was solely in guarantees so that the banks could keep operating (under the laws that govern how much they can leverage the assets).

It's a non-starter. Just file a non-consumer bankruptcy!
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Total non-starter

Comment

And furthermore, no Court will put up with hearing your defense of 'So and So Bank' committed fraud, etc.--end of subject. PERIOD!

The only relevant question(s) is, are, or will be: "Do you owe $????? to the creditor? It is a yes or no answer. And that will be that. That is all you will be allowed to say.
          Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-24-2011, 08:30 PM.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

A Judge hears law, not opinions, hearsay, gossip, or the daily news. He is trained to go by the "LETTER OF LAW" even if the intent is honorable. Believe me I've been there. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

In reality, most judges will get frustrated and probably just rule against you for that reason. The argument, although I understand what you are saying, is like arguing paying income tax is unconstitutional.

Comment

Concur with the others. The judge will shut you down pretty quickly. All that will be a waste of his/her time and is completely irrelevant. Your bailout comes in the form of bankruptcy. File it and be done....
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

The Judge will stop you probably about 2 sentences in, don't waste your time. See post above about the so-called "bail out" money being repaid. Clients try this with me often, most have no idea what they're talking about.
                  Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

I agree with all the others. Just file before your court dates.

Good Luck!
                    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by BKAttyMI View Post
                      The Judge will stop you probably about 2 sentences in
                      If you got that far. If you choose to pursue this "defense", you're going to see just how quick you get shot down....
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Don't do it. They'll hate you for wasting their time and maybe make things harder for you. Slide through with the rest of us cattle and try not to stand out. We all want to change the world, but try doing your part after you get out of your mess.
                        Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

I agree with everyone else here. I attended the "pre-trial" when BoA was suing me last summer. Looking at everyone else there, and how the judge really wasn't interested in the "problems" of the debtors, I realized I didn't have a snowball's chance in h*ll. Your best bet is to just to file bk, before your creditors start "winning" these suits.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X