Background Check post-Ch. 7 - Healthcare position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background Check post-Ch. 7 - Healthcare position

Hand-holding needed! I finally scored an interview for a good job (remember, I filed Ch. 7 last Nov. with $0.14 to my name.)

Initial interview went so well I met with 3 other managers the same day, was asked to go get fingerprinted and was then called to interview with company president on Monday; that interview went pretty well. I have about 95% of what he is seeking and scored a 97% on kind of a difficult test they gave me.

I know my fingerprints will come back fine (no arrests, etc) but I'm sure the background and reference check are in-depth as this is a healthcare position.

The employment application did NOT ask if I'd ever filed BK so I did not mention it during interviews. I thought they said they'd call me yesterday and I am really really starting to sweat. But I do know it might take a day or two for my references to get back to them.

Have any of you had problems securing a healthcare job post-BK? I am too scared to make a follow-up phone call (I did send emails thanking them for the interviews.) I need a job SO BADLY and this place is a perfect fit for me.
    Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
    New Job 7-2011

It depends on the company. Usually with a background check they are mostly looking for criminal background, especially in the health field. Your bankruptcy usually shows up in a credit check and not every one does one of those when doing a background check. A sure way to know is that they will have you sign a separate authorization which specifically deals with your credit.

Comment

Also a regular background check could take a couple days, don't be afraid to call them after a couple days and if they reference it just be honest and explain it.

Comment

best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

So here's an update - I did not get the job I initially posted about. No explanation, just a very nice email saying I was highly qualified but not exactly what they needed. No reference at all to the background check. Read on for why it would have been NICE for them to mention it! Next company emailed me I was their 1st choice but owner decided I was overqualified (true) and would be under-challenged and under-compensated....and he knew I'd be happier being a "superstar" at a larger company with more opportunity.

Current situation - company ran criminal background check after 2nd interview (in Illinois, it is now supposedly against the law for employer to use credit check in hiring, except for certain positions, like banking, etc), they called me saying "something" had shown up; guy was vague, like he did not have report in front of him. I've never been arrested, had a DUI, done drugs, stolen anything, no tickets, etc...so was clueless about what could have been. I went to the county sheriff's office, they ran my criminal check (for free) and a bounced check from 2004 is on it....I paid the thing in 2004 (went to court) and it even says in the court papers I was not supposed to have a criminal record - it was a $42 check and charges were dismissed in 2004 when I PAID IT - and it will cost me $94 and 8-12 weeks to have this item that is not even supposed to be on there, expunged. The county clerk even said it should not be showing up.

So I call this guy back, explain situation, he says "fine" and I then had 2.5 hour interview with company president Tues. Went great. I expected a job offer yesterday. Keep in mind after company #1 rejected me, I TOLD this hiring mgr I had filed BK last year....so I call this morning to follow up and guy says "everything has not come back from background check." WHAT???!!!! They are only allowed to run criminal check - I did not consent (nor was asked) to credit check. So anyway, sorry to be long winded, but I am supposed to hear back from them on Tues and the guy said "don't count us out" but.....I think they are going to use credit check against me, and of course, I'll never know because it's illegal for them to do so, so they'll never tell me that's the reason.

I am soo sooo sooo depressed and scared. I have yet another interview with another company tomorrow morning.
          New Job 7-2011

Comment

Chicagoannie, that's UNREAL - you know for what it's worth, they are supposed to tell you if they've used credit as a qualification tool under FCRA...and maybe IL has its own rules...I've got my fingers crossed for you!!!!

You know this credit check business is so fundamentally stupid - just more social control.

Comment

Isn't part of the whole background check, checking references, verifying schooling information, etc? At least that is what was done for me.

Comment

Originally posted by salsa View Post
                Isn't part of the whole background check, checking references, verifying schooling information, etc? At least that is what was done for me.
                Right - background check could mean "just" - references, school, "record" BUT no credit check. I applied with (and like an idiot I suspect) turned down a job with a large multinational last year - they had the credit check thing BUT as it turned out all they used it for was to verify (again) DOB and your name - that you're you. No actual CREDIT check.

So you can actually sign a credit check paper and not have an actual credit check. One of the largest local gov'ts where I live - the idiots - started credit checks for most "office" management/"professional" positions.

Comment

I filed a Chapter 7 in 2003 and work in Healthcare, high paying postions working around actual cash and expense accounts for three very large well-known companies and have never been denied a position. I'm sorry to read this, but i don't think the BK is holding you back it may be the check and that stinks!

Comment

Good Luck, ChicagoAnnie. I hope you get the job.

Comment

Thanks, all. Today's interview went great....and no "see you later, like WAAAAYYY later" email from the other employer, so I think I am in the running for 2 possible jobs. We'll see what I hear next week....!
                      New Job 7-2011

Comment

Sounds good Chicagoannie!!!

Comment

Crossing fingers and toes for you Annie!!
                          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Sending virtual rabbit's foot, bald head and 4-leaf clover

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

That would be so great for you - and give those of us who are so desperately looking, hope. Fingers crossed for you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X