top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long did it take from when you paid your attorney until they filed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long did it take from when you paid your attorney until they filed?

This question is specifically for those who used an attorney and filed Chapter 7.

After your class was completed and the attorney was paid, how long did it take for them to send a draft to you, for you to sign and return the draft, and for the papers to be officially filed?

What kind of things are especially important to check for on the draft paperwork that is sent to you?

I paid my attorney in three installments. I dropped off my completed paperwork with the first payment, including the continuing education certificate. I came in to drop off the second payment and he had everything ready for me to review. He filed hours after I left his office, before he was in paid in full. I paid the final installment payment the next week.

I never left with a draft to take home and review, we went over everything in his office during my second appointment. I didn't "sign" anything, it was filed online with an electronic signature.

For the draft paperwork, make sure everything is correct, it's that simple. Your name, address, SOCIAL, DOB, etc...that ALL your debts are listed, account numbers are correct...that your income and expenses are properly listed etc. Basically you want to look at every single thing the clerk or the attorney has entered on your behalf.
    Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

24 hours. I did my job so all they had to do was enter the numbers. He was smiling the entire time.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I believe the amount of time it takes is completely contingent on your specific situation, how fast you submit the necessary paperwork and complete your class. They could file within a couple of hours if everything is completed and their schedule will allow it, bear in mind, however, that your attorney has other cases he/she is working on as well...some are very dire and require a lot of attention. If an attorney takes your case, though, he/she does so with his/her schedule in mind and obviously can do it or he/she wouldn't have taken your case to begin with.

In our situation, we waiting about 8 months to put us into the best position for the best possible outcome. Our attorney told us 'time is your friend here" and that is absolutely true. So, unless you have an eminent foreclosure or garnishments from recent judgements about to start, waiting can be very beneficial, specifically to put a lot of 'distance' between you and your last credit card useage so your cc companies will not be able to claim fraud (which they could do if you file too close to the last time you charged something).

In regards to checking the draft, make certain it is completely accurate and triple check to be sure you have listed every. single. creditor, collector, etc. You can update it after the fact but that will cost extra.
        Any opinion expressed is based on personal experience and/or research. i.e.

Comment

Made my last payment in the morning, signed the papers in the afternoon. All done in les than a month.
          Filed CH 7 4/15/11
          341 5/23/11
          DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
            24 hours. I did my job so all they had to do was enter the numbers. He was smiling the entire time.
            We did all the paperwork, provided back up documentation…more than what was even asked for and practically filled out the form for them. It still took us about 4 months from the time we started the process to the day they filed. And we had to stay on them the whole time! They led us to believe we would be filing "soon", which we interpreted as next week, end of the current month, ect. One month they told us they just finished filing for a bunch of people and now that their desk is clear we are the priority. It still took two more months after that conversation. I am complaining about our attorney that does not change anything but felt I needed to put things into perspective on how long it could actually take. I am jealous of the posters on here who received immediate results from their attorneys; wish we received that kind of customer service.

Comment

It took about 3 months after I paid to get them to file. Part of the problem is they wanted to wait because of a withdraw I made from my IRA to settle my second they thought might be added to my income for the Means Test. I had to tell them to file as I wasn't worried about the issue. Flip side is they were somewhat of a BK mill and only costs $995 + filing fee for a chapter 7. Bottom line all done.

Comment

we were likek msn859 it took us a year of monthly payment to pay the firm off and then we told them to wait until we were ready which was about another 6-8 months after they were paid. as soon as we gave the ok, they filed the same day.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

tobee43 - sounds like you had it all well planned out. good job!

Comment

MIne was quick. First attorney I saw (who I did not choose in the end) gave me info on what was needed, t hen found this forum and learned a TON of stuff. Finally found the right attorney and paid him right after the interview - took me from April of 2010 to March 2011 to get money together. It took the law firm two weeks from the meeting to file, mainly because they were very thorough on the paperwork and we went over it a couple of times to make sure I had everything correct, all creditors, etc. Then when they were ready, I went in and we did it electronically. I was really impressed!

And so glad I had the advice from this forum. The first lawyer intimidated me and I felt a little lower than dirt when I left his office. The one I fianlly chose, the whole office made me feel like they were working for me - all the way through the whole process. What a difference it made.

Comment

Originally posted by angles View Post
                      tobee43 - sounds like you had it all well planned out. good job!
                      thanks angles, it did seem to go well thanks to a good atty and playing a good game of chess...wheeewwwwww...i'm so glad it's over!
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I met Atty 5/17. Did means test 6/10. Met again and paid 6/13. I was told 2-3 weeks to file. I called yesterday to see what was up, called was returned today. I was told to call back Monday to schedule appt. for meeting late next week to go over everything. I asked if we could make it earlier next week. I so wish this would all just happen sooner! The stress of not knowing how everything will turn out is overwhelming!

It almost feels like when i call it's a reminder to get some work done on my case.

Comment

my attorney said once his fee is paid, and certificate is in place, he will file that day.
                          Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
                          The rebuilding begins

Comment

It was very fast. I had my consultation, finished my paperwork, paid and he filed that day. It all happened so fast it still makes my head spin just thinking about it. Even the discharge was quicker than what I was told to expect.
                            Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
                            Discharged: August 2010
                            A life lesson well learned.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X