top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? Has anyone had to go on "meds" during this process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown in the months before filing but I kept myself busy at work and tried to keep my mind off of things as the attorney took over. I did mention it to my family doctor who told me filling bankruptcy is a life event and life events cause major change which can lead to anxiety and depression. I did not go on any medication as once we filed it was like someone lifted the 10 ton rock off our shoulders.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I can say I would take the meds if I were you. If it will make the stress easier to handle I say go for it. You don't want to end up in the hospital with heart problems. My blood pressure rose so high through out the BK process that I had to take meds to calm me down. I hate depending on meds and I did try everything from exercise to eating fruits and veggies. Nothing helped.

I just got out of the hospital a month ago with my heart. My BP rose to a very high level. They basically think it is stress related. I do have some anti-anxiety meds on hand to help me out now. It had taken a month to get my BP back down. Stress can do a lot of damage, so if the meds help I would try them.
      Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
      341 meeting on 5/28/2010
      Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

I'm with Flamingo on this one---in terms of feeling like I was going to have
        a nervous breakdown---but once I filed---I felt such a difference---and
        even before the filing---the ultimate decision to get rid of the house went
        a long way to easing the stress that I had been feeling for so long---and
        my attorney noticed the difference in me---however---Xanax was nearby.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!!! I was really ambivalent, but I go back to the doc on Friday...so I think I'll probably ask for the minimal dose of anti-anxiety stuff...see if that helps...if not, so be it!!!

THANK YOU all!!!!!!!

Comment

Best of luck to you IamOld!

I had such high anxiety before I filed, sleepless nights, constant stomach ache etc. I considered taking medication but alas, I had no health insurance so it really wasn't an option, had I been able to go to the Doctor I probably would have asked for something, something to at least help me sleep better.

At times, I have a drink or two or several to help relax. I'm sure that reads as though I have a problem, such is not the case. Anything that can ease the nerves helps. There is no shame in taking medication, none at all!
            Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Thanks disconapper!

Yeah, a beer or two...well, I'll do A beer, but I don't really like booze as such... :-)

We'll see - I'm definitely trending to better living through chemistry!

Comment

If BK isn't a good enough reason for Xanax, Prozac, Booze, you name it... then I don't know what is. Surely that is why these things were invented and no one here should feel guilty for trying to cope!
                I could use some Valium myself. My whole body hurts from grinding my teeth. Of course the appliance isn't covered by insurance and I rip the bloody things out anyway. Phooey.
                Curious if you guys all got these from your GP or had to go to a shrink?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                  If BK isn't a good enough reason for Xanax, Prozac, Booze, you name it... then I don't know what is. Surely that is why these things were invented and no one here should feel guilty for trying to cope!
                  I could use some Valium myself. My whole body hurts from grinding my teeth. Of course the appliance isn't covered by insurance and I rip the bloody things out anyway. Phooey.
                  Curious if you guys all got these from your GP or had to go to a shrink?
                  Even as I'm sitting here at work, my stomach is in knots.

I have to go to GP.

Comment

I struggled with pills and the recent events provoked me to lean on them as a crutch. Meds, especially in excess, can be hurtful but stress is the real killer. Anyway, i have layed off even though i was getting back into them. My thought process has been that of challenges like these in life build character, and whatever does not kill us only makes us stronger. I feel life is always throwing some obstacle my way (hopefully none any more difficult than this BK) and if i always, and develop a habit of turning to meds to get me through - i will be less prepared to tackel other challenges in life. Plus, when all is said, done, discharged. The new problem may be getting off the meds. Xanax, for example is very addicting and stopping should very carefully done.

Comment

Thank you inoverhead - life, the way I look at life keeps throwing stuff at you all the time. That's it. No deeper philosophy than that :-)

Originally posted by InOverHead View Post
                      I struggled with pills and the recent events provoked me to lean on them as a crutch. Meds, especially in excess, can be hurtful but stress is the real killer. Anyway, i have layed off even though i was getting back into them. My thought process has been that of challenges like these in life build character, and whatever does not kill us only makes us stronger. I feel life is always throwing some obstacle my way (hopefully none any more difficult than this BK) and if i always, and develop a habit of turning to meds to get me through - i will be less prepared to tackel other challenges in life. Plus, when all is said, done, discharged. The new problem may be getting off the meds. Xanax, for example is very addicting and stopping should very carefully done.

Comment

GP prescribes antidepressants and anxiety meds. Today not a good day, feel like throwing up and I'm very anxious. Zanex #1 so far.

Comment

My GP told me years ago she would NOT prescribe and had to see shrink

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I was on an antidepressant for awhile but I really become crabby with them so quit. But, meds are great for getting you back in the game of life. They can stabilize your moods and lift your spirits. Still think I should be on something but the PA (Physicians Assistant) I see really has no clue as to what to do.

If I keep feeling down, may demand a real doctor but, in case, I know it's because I haven't found a job and that keeps me worried.

Comment

I was able to do away with the xanax when I was finally able to cope again, which was right after our discharge and close. I have dealt with severe character builders for the last 21 years raising my autistic daughter and I do believe what does not kill you makes you stronger, but I am not going to roll over and die when I need a boost that helps me over the other side. I need to be trying to do my best, not just for me, but for the others who rely on me, and I was not even coping during this time period, which I never thought the day would come I would say there was anything worse than raising my daughter who was suicidal at the age of six. I made it through that period of my life, which I never thought I would be able to do, my daughter turned out well after years of trial and error and lots of hard work, and then boom, our lives fell to crap after our business failed and we literally lost every dime we had, plus the home we had refinanced to keep the business going. I truly felt like a failure and needed that boost to help me cope and make it through one day at a time. Now I can look at it like another learning experience, that almost did me in, but I did not let it destroy me and life is good once again. We have moved on, life is good and things are getting back to what is normal for us.

We do whatever we need to do to make it to the other side without totally crashing in the meantime, and that is all any of us can do during this truly horrible experience.

Oh, and yes GP did do the prescriptions, and now we have moved to new state and new doctor is willing to do so as well. These are Primary Care Physicians, my first was a general practitioner and the one now is an internist, both doing primary care physician work in my network, which you go to first and if they think you need a referral they refer you out.
                              Last edited by panda; 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM.
                              Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
                              DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

I think this is wonderful that we can share these experiences - boy it has helped me that's for sure!!!

I am sooooo appreciative, words cannot describe.

Want to hear something funny?

I'm now being hounded by a collection agency at work for something I ordered at work but didn't receive!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X