top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? Has anyone had to go on "meds" during this process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? Has anyone had to go on "meds" during this process?

First of all, my apologies to anyone who thinks this may be inappropriate.

I will say first and foremost that my personal and legal sanity have been saved by this forum many many times.

So...been to the doc today, she says very firmly that I am uncontrolled anxiety and possibly depression...I always looked at meds this way - they don't make the UNDERLYING issue go away (like finances).

But doc says but it helps you to not ruin your health over it, and react appropriately, etc.

So....if you feel comfortable enough in replying...what do you all think? Has anyone had to do the same?

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
    So...been to the doc today, she says very firmly that I am uncontrolled anxiety and possibly depression...I always looked at meds this way - they don't make the UNDERLYING issue go away (like finances).
    I'm sorry.

Yes, you're right that the meds don't do anything about the underlying problem, but they help you cope with what is a very difficult and long-term underlying problem. There's nothing wrong with that! This problem is a lot for anyone to cope with, and the meds may even help you to make better decisions to help solve the problem. Think of it as a temporary thing to help you get through this time.

Comment

Thanks!!! That's what made me resist this, that it doesn't change the fact that I'm broke :-)

But you're right I think...if it helps me stay focused....

Thanks dontburn!!!!!

Originally posted by dontburnthep View Post
      I'm sorry.

Yes, you're right that the meds don't do anything about the underlying problem, but they help you cope with what is a very difficult and long-term underlying problem. There's nothing wrong with that! This problem is a lot for anyone to cope with, and the meds may even help you to make better decisions to help solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
        Thanks!!! That's what made me resist this, that it doesn't change the fact that I'm broke :-)
        No, unfortunately it can't do a thing to change that. But like your doc said, reacting appropriately to fix the problem can!

I've not been put on anything for this particular situation, but I've been on meds before during other high stress situations. They helped me deal, when the situation was resolved, I weaned off of them. Try not to feel bad about it!

Comment

:-) Thanks! I really must start purchasing lottery tickets again - I used spend $2 on them each payday (twice a month).

Thanks again - I don't really feel "bad" it's just I alwasy thought - what's the use...but when it gets this bad, might as well.

Thanks again!!!!!

Comment

Iamold, my two cents worth is to try the meds. I personally would not, but only because I feel I have an addictive personality. I don't drink or smoke, but chocolate and I do a long dance down into madness, sometimes, lol. My son had been on different meds for bi-polar disorder for years. You need someone who can observe you once you start so if the medicine affects you in the wrong way, they can notice right away. He was once on Depakote for one week and we were afraid of him, that's how much and how quickly it can affect you.

But I feel there is nothing wrong with trying to see if something can help your feelings. Life is stressful enough, then add all these financial & legal worries to the mix, it's a wonder any of us can cope. My son has found the best thing to control his anxiety and panic attacks is unfortunately illegal where we live, but not in some other states (why in some a doctor can even proscribe it), if you get my drift.

Anyway, I am sending hugs and best wishes your way, hope you get some relief soon! Now, I have a date with a Peppermint Patty.

Comment

THANKS!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much! (By the way, how is/was the move to NC??)

Luckily my doc's known me since 1995!! she's really good. So back to her on Friday!!!

I too am addicted to chocolate...the food of the gods!

Originally posted by StrawberrySu View Post
              Iamold, my two cents worth is to try the meds. I personally would not, but only because I feel I have an addictive personality. I don't drink or smoke, but chocolate and I do a long dance down into madness, sometimes, lol. My son had been on different meds for bi-polar disorder for years. You need someone who can observe you once you start so if the medicine affects you in the wrong way, they can notice right away. He was once on Depakote for one week and we were afraid of him, that's how much and how quickly it can affect you.

But I feel there is nothing wrong with trying to see if something can help your feelings. Life is stressful enough, then add all these financial & legal worries to the mix, it's a wonder any of us can cope. My son has found the best thing to control his anxiety and panic attacks is unfortunately illegal where we live, but not in some other states (why in some a doctor can even proscribe it), if you get my drift.

Anyway, I am sending hugs and best wishes your way, hope you get some relief soon! Now, I have a date with a Peppermint Patty.

Comment

Do a search on the site, this has been discussed before, you are not alone and others, like myself, needed the extra help just to make it through.On the other side now and have discontinued the zanax and am coping well, still on antidepressants but I was on those before we entered this phase of our lives. I was truly over the edge and when I went to see my doctor for a normal visit, she asked how I was doing ( a normal question) and I fell apart. Through my blubbering she figured out how bad things were in my life and put me on the zanax, it helped tremendously, I am not sure how I would have made it through without the extra boost from this medication to help me cope.
                Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
                DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

Will do Panda and thank you. I've heard of xanax myself...I think I'm still in the blubbering state!

THANK YUO!!!!!

Originally posted by panda View Post
                  Do a search on the site, this has been discussed before, you are not alone and others, like myself, needed the extra help just to make it through.On the other side now and have discontinued the zanax and am coping well, still on antidepressants but I was on those before we entered this phase of our lives. I was truly over the edge and when I went to see my doctor for a normal visit, she asked how I was doing ( a normal question) and I fell apart. Through my blubbering she figured out how bad things were in my life and put me on the zanax, it helped tremendously, I am not sure how I would have made it through without the extra boost from this medication to help me cope.

Comment

Old, I hope I don't get trashed for this...but I am a FIRM believer in better living through pharmaceuticals!!
                    I take them every morning, keep an emergency panic attack med with me in case I feel one coming on and take a sleeping pill At night.
                    My stress and anxiety bega. When my DH had his stroke and I became the breadwinner, trying to figure out wer
                    were going to survive all of it. I have taken them every day since then,
                    I hate people who say they are a cop-out or a crutch.
                    Since our lives were turned upside down, even a seemingly minor thing can send me to panic mode
                    I went to a therapist who told me I should change things in my life and that was a waste.
                    My life is what it is now and there is nothing I can do to change that
                    listento your doctor. Stress can kill you

Comment

Nothing wrong with medicating if you need it......
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I had depression for years, even before the financial mess I'm in. Also been prescribed anxiety meds to use as needed. Well the past few months, I have had to use..... This whole mess is doing quite a number on my stress levels... If the money doesn't come through for settling or even if I do file a 13, I don't see my stress level going down anytime soon. So I'm seeing the dr. this week to go back on anti depressants and to get another prescription for a tranquilizer. I'm hoping the feeling sick to my stomach all day gets better... Makes being productive at work extremely difficult.

Comment

mdl, frogger, salsa..and everyone...again I'm humbled and am deeply grateful to everyone here...im at shrink now...we'll see soon what he says...doc says I HAVE To get adreline levels down..

VERY VERY GRATEFUL TO ALLL AND BEST WISHES TO ALL!!!!!

Comment

I guess I can see the stress going down some when the actual decision has been made to file or not.. But in a chapter 13, I gotta believe there will be a lot of stress for the duration of the plan.....

Comment

I actually had my blood pressure rise for a year prior to filing. It normally was like a teenagers (thank goodness) but was gettig high. Between my doc and I we decided to just wait and see although he did not know the specific reason..LOL. I am so glad I waited, just went today and am now back to 118/67 unless I don't get discharged this week LOL!! I rarely take any meds, but thats a personal choice. At 61 the only medicine I take is a form of chemo every 8 weeks for my Crohns disease, that's enough for me.

You should do whatever is best for you. If you need help getting through this then go for it. By all means, you want to be healthy when this is over so be sure to do everything to see that it ends up that way.
                              Filed CH 7 4/15/11
                              341 5/23/11
                              DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X