Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lurking creditors??

Not for nothin but..

Anyone get the feeling creditors/collectors are lurking here?

Some of the posters seem to approach issues from the perspective of plaintiffs.

I've also noticed that some visitors to my profile page have no posts or started threads in their profiles.

Just sayin.........

there are many "lurkers" here on the forum. i was for over a year before i dove into the mix. many people are just a bit scared or concerned...(like you...LOL!!)

this is a difficult time for most anyone, so the feeling that someone is "watching" is somewhat common place

this is a SAFE site!!! i know that's hard for some to realize, but most people are here to support and help each other make it through the roller coaster ride of a lifetime with a bk. you're creditor will not come popping our of your puter...promise..
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I did the same...lurked for quite a while. It was hard for me to even type in bankr.....(see, i still can't type it ) LOL
      I was afraid if i even typed that word in anywhere ..google...someone was gonna find me. Can we say "paranoid"
      filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
      "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Creditors should understand the risks, and that is why they make money regardless of people filing.

If you pay your taxes, follow the speed limit, and don't get drunk in public, you should be in good shape most of your life.

This forum is easily one of the top ten websites on the net!

Comment

Originally posted by secondtimer View Post
          Not for nothin but..

Anyone get the feeling creditors/collectors are lurking here?

Some of the posters seem to approach issues from the perspective of plaintiffs.

I've also noticed that some visitors to my profile page have no posts or started threads in their profiles.

Just sayin.........
          I wouldn't worry too much, but you should still take basic precautions.

I wouldn't post something like "Hi, my name is Bob Walker and I'm from Annytown, PA. I am a new car Salesman at Anytown Chrysler. I make WAY over the Median Income, is there any way to fudge these numbers so I can discharge the huge amounts of debt I've racked up?" I'd probably post something more like this: "Hey, I'm some random guy who's deep in debt. I'm currently over the median income in my state (PA), would it be allowable for me to quit my job or have my hours lowered so I'd qualify for a Chapter 7?" Off-topic, but the answer would basically be don't quit the job for bankruptcy...but for other reasons could be allowed (plus people would ask if you've done the means test, what the results were, etc. etc.).

Oh...and if there's any forums where you DO post things like "I'm Bob Walker at Anytown Chrysler, come buy a car from me!" then make sure you're using a different username...it's really not hard to google "secondtimer" and see what all pops up.
          Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dman View Post

Oh...and if there's any forums where you DO post things like "I'm Bob Walker at Anytown Chrysler, come buy a car from me!" then make sure you're using a different username...it's really not hard to google "secondtimer" and see what all pops up.
            OK..dman...i had to google my username...LOL quite interesting
            filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
            "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

It would be a waste of time for creditors or collectors to lurk at this website, other than to possibly gauge general opinions about the finer aspects of bankruptcy. They already know what is possible.

Comment

Ack, my beautiful post has been eaten by the forum trolls! I'll try again. Remember kids, Copy (Ctrl-C) your posts before you submit, just in case.

Creditors/collectors aren't going to lurk here to find out how bankruptcy works. They're going to come here to gather information on you.

Let's say that you have defaulted on a lot of loans/credit cards/etc. You've changed your number, moved, left no forwarding address, etc. Everyone who knows your current whereabouts knows not to tell anyone about your situation, including "Sally from College who was just trying to reconnect." So far, so good.

But...one debt collector sees your email address is/was [email protected]. He googles fiestylatina77 and sure enough, you're still using that screen name. He checks out your facebook page...darn it's set to private. No worries, he can still see your list of friends. He makes a fake facebook screen name (or uses one of his existing latina-themed ones) and befriends a few of your friends who he noticed has hundreds of friends already (so...they're probably not doing a great job of screening new friend requests). In no time, he's in. Lucky for him, your facebook privacy settings are set to "friends of friends" so he can see all your pics, profile information, etc. Now he's got your home address (or at least the city), phone number, and current employer. Or maybe you had your profile set to "friends only." He friends a few more of your friends, then makes a friend request direct to you. You figure it must be someone in your circle of friends...since "she" is already friends with ten of your friends. Either way, he's got your info.

Or, perhaps his google search of fiestylatina77 leads him to some posts on bkforum.com. You asked for help concerning a house your mom just left you with. You contemplate trying to stick it out another couple years until the SOL runs out; or maybe you'll transfer it to your husband and wait a year or two to file bankruptcy. Well, Mr. Collector will now be in a rush to get that judgement and subsequent lien...or perhaps show up at your 341 meeting in the future to ask about that house (which you had hoped you wouldn't have to disclose since it had been over a year [or two]; but now the trustee asks about it, and you gotta spill the beans).

Anyways...just be careful. Don't make it TOO easy for the creditors/collectors to gather info on you.
                Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dman View Post
                  Creditors/collectors aren't going to lurk here to find out how bankruptcy works. They're going to come here to gather information on you.
                  Where's my tinfoil hat?
                  All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                  Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                    Where's my tinfoil hat?

there ya go buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post

there ya go buddy!

Thank you my friend.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Gosh, dman, I think you have been watching too many James Bond movies. lol

by dman, "Creditors/collectors aren't going to lurk here to find out how bankruptcy works. They're going to come here to gather information on you.

Let's say that you have defaulted on a lot of loans/credit cards/etc. You've changed your number, moved, left no forwarding address, etc. Everyone who knows your current whereabouts knows not to tell anyone about your situation, including "Sally from College who was just trying to reconnect." So far, so good.

Comment

Actually...I don't think dman is too far off the mark. Just Google "Debt Collectors Use Social Media to Find Debtors" to find out how much they really are starting to do this.

You get one of these really tenacious collectors after you and I believe his scenario is very well within the realm of possibility.
                          Any opinion expressed is based on personal experience and/or research. i.e.

Comment

I prefer to wear an armadillo on my head.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                              Where's my tinfoil hat?
                              If you WANT collectors to put the pieces together (or perhaps just don't care), then so be it. I'm not saying that you should cut the cord completely, delete your facebook account, never post on forums, etc. Just...if there's information you would rather collectors DIDN'T have, then you need to make sure you're not making it easy for them to get it.

Maybe I'm too paranoid...I also know that IF there's any creditors/collectors looking for me, they know exactly where to find me...the me I want them to find that is. Yeah Mr. Collector...I MEANT for you to get that forwarding address.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X