Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Financial Bank USA won't work with me... sigh

Hello,

I'm trying to stay out of bankruptcy, and called 1FBUSA today to see if they can lower my interest rate, and work with me. I had even read on an internet forum a few months ago, how they had this program that lowered the interest to 0%.

Having to go through three different people, I finally talked with a manager. And because I can still afford the minimum payment they cannot do anything, as she claims. Also, her gist also was, because I'm still at a 19.95% interest rate, I should be happy, because many others are at 27-28% (she didn't exactly say it like this, but this was the gist of it...)

Here's my problem:

I owe 1FBUSA $14,300 (Last year I had bought on a house on that card through Paypal, and didn't want to file, originally, butt the house was a wreck, I gave up on it, and I resold it for $5,000).

I owe a local credit union, around $4200 on one card, another cu around $300, and I just sent a $900 payment to chase to pay off my $1350 balance for my recent college tuition.

I also owe $3700 on a toyota corolla that's only worth maybe $2600 or so with a good engine, and I'm having major engine issues (oil burner, and a leaking rear main - it'll cost $1600+ to get this rebuilt).

I also owe around $33,000 in student loans on my first degree.

Financially, I work for Menards (home improvement store), and my hours are getting cut down to 20-25 a week, with a lot more hours cut after Christmas (one day, maybe two [but we have too many people for my department, so probably only one day] a week until April) - I make $8.65 an hour during weekdays, and $11.15 an hour on the weekends, with most work being on the weekends.

I also talked with my manager at my other place of work (Kentucky Fried Chicken), and he's going to get me something, but that's only minimum wage (probably no more than 20-25 hours at the most)

I hate having to do this, because I'm a born-again Christian, and believe in repaying my debts. The Lord's already convicted me about my debts. I wonder if I should file, and repay my creditors eventually, if I'm ever stable (I'm trying to work my way through to become a nurse, on my second degree, but the local community college has a 3 1/3 waitlist to get into clinicals, so I probably won't be a nurse until 2016).

Originally posted by aaengel View Post
    I hate having to do this, because I'm a born-again Christian, and believe in repaying my debts.
    "At the end of every seven years you shall grant a release of debts. And this is the form of the release: Every creditor who has lent anything to his neighbor shall release it; he shall not require it of his neighbor or his brother, because it is called the LORD's release" (Deuteronomy 15:1-2). Because people don't follow the scripture, we invented Bankruptcy laws. Well, not really, but it's a good argument. If you only knew how ironic it is of me to be quoting bible verses.....

Comment

Originally posted by magua2 View Post
      "At the end of every seven years you shall grant a release of debts. And this is the form of the release: Every creditor who has lent anything to his neighbor shall release it; he shall not require it of his neighbor or his brother, because it is called the LORD's release" (Deuteronomy 15:1-2). Because people don't follow the scripture, we invented Bankruptcy laws. Well, not really, but it's a good argument. If you only knew how ironic it is of me to be quoting bible verses.....
      "If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." (Deuteronomy 21:18-21). Hopefully nothing in the bankruptcy laws about that one!
      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

It does not sound like you can afford these debts. You can let them ruin your future, or take care of them now.

I don't personally think being a christian has anything to do with it.
        Any information posted by me is for general informational purposes only. While I am an attorney, I am not YOUR attorney and any information I provide is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BKAttyMI View Post
          It does not sound like you can afford these debts. You can let them ruin your future, or take care of them now.

I don't personally think being a christian has anything to do with it.
          Amen.
          Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
          I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
            Amen.
            Amen ditto!!!

Comment

1st Financial Bank USA is one of the biggest crooks I've ever dealt with and they know it. They started making me offers for payoff programs after I had stopped paying them for 3 months. If you want them to work with you, then you MUST stop paying them. As long as you pay on the account they will never lower your interest or lower payments. Prior to BK they were offering me all kinds of thing. It was so satisfying to BK them. They are a predatory CC that frequented college campuses in the 90s.

From the sound of your situation I think BK sounds like the best option to help you get through the now, if you can't make your peace with that then stop paying and wait for the offers to roll in.
              Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Comment

I have never heard of 1st Financial Bank USA. Is this part of First USA (now part of Chase) or is this some other company with a similar name which targets people with poor credit?

I know that when I was facing cutbacks at work, I called up both of my credit card companies--Citibank and Discover--and both agreed to put me on hardship programs that reduced the interest rate to zero and lowered the monthly payment to a set amount. I ended up defaulting 8 months later when my hours were cut more and I knew that I'd lose my job by the time the year was over. (I ended up getting fired in August of 2009).

But my point is that it was actually quite easy for me to get the creditors to accept lower payments and reduce the interest simply because I told them that my hours were cut, now I make X amount of money in a month, my rent and utilities cost X amount of money, food costs X amount of money, and therefore I only have X amount to pay on my credit cards.

But who knows? If your creditor(s) don't want to work with you, maybe you'll have to quit paying to get their attention!

Comment

Wow looks like alot of us are praying! I look at it as trying to make it right.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X