Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with my situation

I am a Wisconsin resident.

When I was 18 (6 years ago) I incurred a lot of debt (credit cards, etc.) and basically just let it ride (ignoring phone calls for this whole time). I made a few attempts to get out of this hole, but no matter what I tried, I fell behind. The phone calls kept coming and I just retreated more and more.

On December 23rd I received papers that I must attend court on January 16th 2012. I am being sued for the value of $2100. This was a wake up call.

I was finally able to contact a lawyer today to set up my appointment.

I am scared. I don't really have any savings to my name and I don't know what to expect if I am unable to file for Bankruptcy before January 16th. If I had my wages garnished it will make things a lot harder. What typically happens at court appointments like this?

I know my question is very broad, but I am so frustrated and scared right now. I don't know the next steps. I just need guidance. Thank you in advance if you can assist with help at all.

We need more info to help you. How old are you now? How much do you owe altogether? Might you be reaching SOL on some?
    For 2100$, bk does not make sense.

And doesn't Wisconsin have some special plan? I think it does and it's a good one.

Deep breath, you will be fine. Keep reading and asking questions. And... WELCOME.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
      We need more info to help you. How old are you now? How much do you owe altogether? Might you be reaching SOL on some?
      For 2100$, bk does not make sense.

And doesn't Wisconsin have some special plan? I think it does and it's a good one.

Deep breath, you will be fine. Keep reading and asking questions. And... WELCOME.
      I'm 24. In total I owe $12,521 to numerous business/medical bills. I have yet to meet with the lawyer. I'm just afraid for the short time frame between court date and when I can even see a lawyer (roughly 17 days in between).

If I do go to court, do they typically have a judgement on that date (Dont laugh, this is the only thing I have to compare it to: like a Judge Judy court date?).

If you think of any more info you would need, just keep letting me know. I'm just stressed and have a few days full of worrying.

Comment

You might want to read this:http://knowledgebase.findlaw.com/kb/...ep/328996.html
        7 is an option for you as well. Find out what your SOL is there first tho.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

It may depend upon your state, but you may be able to attend your court date and get some type of continuance. One of my creditors was suing me over a small balance, and I was able to file bankruptcy before my second court date.

Comment

Wisconsin has something called a chapter 128. Not sure what your monthly income is, but you can take the debts, and put into a 128. You pay the debts over 3 years, and no more interest can accrue. Creditors do not have any choice in the matter.

Just something to think about.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X