Met with attorney this morning-need advice/feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met with attorney this morning-need advice/feedback

We spent an hour and a half talking with a local attorney who has a good reputation and a long history in the area, and overall we have a good feeling about things, but we are going to meet with at least one more if not a couple more. Obviously, he advised us to stop paying on the cards, which I am going to take the plunge on first. My wife has good credit right now, so she is going to keep making the minimums until we finance a reliable used car. Once that is taken care of she will default as well. I set all of my contact numbers to GV with the banks a while ago and just downloaded six months worth of statements to a flash drive to be printed should I need to. It's a little nerve wracking to think that I'm not paying, but I suppose that feeling fades over time. It will feel good to buy gas and groceries with cash again.

During the consult he ran our income and expenses and there is no way to make a CH7 work right now-we have to wait until my wife loses her job in July. He did mention something that I want to run by folks here-I asked about the six month lookback on income forcing us to wait to file until sometime in October after my wife has been on unemployment for a while. He said that there was a Supreme Court case that ruled that future circumstances can be taken into consideration at time of filing. In other words, he thinks we could file a CH7 in July once my wife is on unemployment-can anyone substantiate this?

Since we established that we can't file until July (at least) he advised us to keep him posted on developments with the creditors (harassment and any lawsuits) and he would be happy to answer any questions along the way. He only mentioned a retainer with regard to a creditor bringing a lawsuit. Then we started talking about the mortgage (and this is where I need some advice).

At first he advised us to stop paying, bank the money, let them begin foreclosure, discharge it in the bankruptcy, and walk away with the saved cash/rent until we decide what's next. That's the most cut and dry scenario, but neither my wife nor I want to walk away from the house for a variety of reasons which are unimportant here. What I'd like for some of the more knowledgeable folks to do is pay careful attention to the next scenario he presented:

He explained that if we wanted to keep the house, we could essentially do the same thing-stop paying the mortgage, hoard the cash, and let them start foreclosure. He said that in NJ it takes about eight months for them to get around to starting foreclosure and that the process itself can take years. There is a mortgage modification program run by the state that we would then apply for. During that process, we file for CH7, and are discharged. The attorney claimed that the bank would then be very eager to make a deal since they don't want the house back and they know we no longer have to pay. We would come out with a lower mortgage payment, an emergency fund created by not paying the mortgage prior to BK, and no credit card debt. This way though my wife's employment picture looks bleak, we would be secure for a long time to come thanks to the lower mortgage payment and emergency fund. Finally, if things began to go south again, we would always have the option of walking away as long as the modification didn't come with a reaffirmation.

That SOUNDS great, but can I get some real world feedback? What are the possible pitfalls? Where could it go wrong? Am I being sold a pie-in-the-sky bill of goods here or is this actually a sound way to start over on the right foot? I am going to run this by any attorneys we meet with in the future, but I was hoping that I could get some opinions here as well.

a Supreme Court case that ruled that future circumstances can be taken into consideration at time of filing. In other words, he thinks we could file a CH7 in July once my wife is on unemployment-can anyone substantiate this?
    i'm not really certain which case he's referring to, however, i can say this much. at your 341 you are asked "general" questions, usually two of those have to do with income changes in the future as well as employment changes. ( i.e. are you excepting a change in salary, are you expecting an inheritance etc. ) while we have another on the board now who's husband got a promotion and is making more, there may be a possibility that person/persons are going to be placed in a situation where they have changed status from a chapter 7 to a 13. that being said, i can see or hope how the courts would also view the reverse, whereas, someone's incomes is going to be going downward and employment is slated to cease on such and such a date.

since we were in nj, i also was aware that could be an option as far as keeping the house, we chose not to, and, since at this point we are hitting 4 years and still since all that time as passed, no movement on a foreclosure has taken place. so, apparently, although, it may depend on where your house is located, it appears the banks are in no rush up there since so many are defaulting. (as with many other parts of the country). nj being a judicial state it must go through proper procedure prior to the foreclosure and that process is taking it's toll in courtrooms across nj. actually, i have known a few that have attempedt to fight the foreclosure in an effort to stay longer, then go to the court hearings and i have known of at least 4 people who "won" more time, even prior to a slated sheriff's sale.

pitfalls, i'm not certain. i don't see anything other than the hassles of the collectors which i'm certain the forum will help you with respect to handling those low life's. i think the atty sounds fairly good, is thinking ahead for you and i really think you're on the right track here. however, it's YOU that must make the final decisions for what is best for you and yours, and i'm certain you will.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
      since we were in nj, i also was aware that could be an option as far as keeping the house, we chose not to, and, since at this point we are hitting 4 years and still since all that time as passed, no movement on a foreclosure has taken place. so, apparently, although, it may depend on where your house is located, it appears the banks are in no rush up there since so many are defaulting. (as with many other parts of the country). nj being a judicial state it must go through proper procedure prior to the foreclosure and that process is taking it's toll in courtrooms across nj. actually, i have known a few that have attempedt to fight the foreclosure in an effort to stay longer, then go to the court hearings and i have known of at least 4 people who "won" more time, even prior to a slated sheriff's sale.

pitfalls, i'm not certain. i don't see anything other than the hassles of the collectors which i'm certain the forum will help you with respect to handling those low life's. i think the atty sounds fairly good, is thinking ahead for you and i really think you're on the right track here. however, it's YOU that must make the final decisions for what is best for you and yours, and i'm certain you will.
      I guess as far as the mortgage goes, once you're in foreclosure and you file for BK at that point its still a win-win of sorts because either bank is going to play "let's make a deal" and you get one, or you don't and you can walk away without further penalty because the debt has been discharged. We really hope for the former because we really want to stay-we just want to be able to do so with an affordable payment that we can make with me working and my wife on unemployment. So maybe that is a plausible scenario after all-I just worry about judgments and garnishments in the meantime.

One more question-if we did decide to stop paying the mortgage, could the trustee object to our filing on the basis that we'd have so much cash on hand despite the fact that we could probably exempt it all?

Comment

Re: Future circumstances - I would bet he's talking about the Lanning decision - which really is about Chapter 13 BKs but I have read that it seems to have affected the way some districts look at future financial circumstances in Chapter 7 BKs too.

Re: Stopping Mortgage - Regardless of your exemptions, if you are filing a consumer Chapter 7 you still have to have a Schedule J that wont have enough DMI to fund a Chapter 13. If you aren't paying your mortgage will your Schedule J still be okay?
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

One more question-if we did decide to stop paying the mortgage, could the trustee object to our filing on the basis that we'd have so much cash on hand despite the fact that we could probably exempt it all?
          not if it's within the exempted allotment.

if your petition lists the house and you check surrender or whatever your atty advises you to, you'd be in the same position many people are when they don't pay, but stay. and, that is, to save money for a move. if you decide to work it out with the mortgage company after your discharge i don't think any trustee really much cares about that. i understand many banks are now eager to work with people due to the vast volume of inventory through out the county. one would hope that they don't want another empty house. but, just remember DO NOT reaffirm your mortgage and leave that option open for "after" the fact.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

valle, can you believe we STOPPED paying our mortgage but it was still on the schedule as the atty insisted to the trustee office that this is what we will and have been paying. (we had stopped MONTHS if not close to 1 year or more before we even filed). it was figured in our DMI bottom line. seriously, and in all honesty i don't know how our atty got that in.

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
              valle, can you believe we STOPPED paying our mortgage but it was still on the schedule as the atty insisted to the trustee office that this is what we will and have been paying. (we had stopped MONTHS if not close to 1 year or more before we even filed). it was figured in our DMI bottom line. seriously, and in all honesty i don't know how our atty got that in.
              I believe it LOL because I know it varies EVERYWHERE, doesn't it? BKs have so many shades of gray... Hope your weekend is marvelous!
              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

thanks! it's a cooking weekend just getting ready for the up coming crazy busy week

it certain does change from one bk to another. someone may experience one thing and another person in the exact situation experiences something completely different.

Comment

Thanks toobee-what happened in your case actually makes perfect sense to me. It should only matter to the trustee what your DMI will be in the future. If we didn't list the mortgage (I haven't run the numbers yet) I'm guessing our DMI would be too high, but since ultimately we want to keep the house, we're going to have to start paying post discharge, so it WILL be part of our budget and would negate a CH13. I need to talk to more attorneys who have had experience with this in my district before I make a decision. If I get more than one who can tell me that they've made this work I'll go with it.

Comment

If you want to stay in the house - for whatever reason - do NOT stop paying the mortgage.

I'm not saying "re-affirm".

I AM saying "do NOT default" if you want to stay and pay, that's all.

Good luck to us all.
                    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
                      If you want to stay in the house - for whatever reason - do NOT stop paying the mortgage.

I'm not saying "re-affirm".

I AM saying "do NOT default" if you want to stay and pay, that's all.

Good luck to us all.
                      Shark-I definitely get where you're coming from on this-it's a gamble for sure because there's no guarantee that we'll receive a modification after we trigger the mediation process via stopping payment. However, the circumstances here in New Jersey might be on our side-apparently the foreclosure mediation program here has a success rate of nearly 70%. Also, the NJ courts have ruled that participating in foreclosure mediation does not violate the automatic stay, which was a point of confusion for attorneys, debtors, and banks in the past. It's as clear as day on their website now. I'm still not sold on the idea as there is no ironclad guarantee, but I think with the right lawyer and the fact that I'll still have a job post BK (my wife will be on unemployment) we stand a good chance to be part of the 70% who receive a modification. Also, our mortgage is held by a small community bank, which according to the attorney, is more likely to deal than a big bank, and finally, we don't have a $500K mortgage and a $250K house, we have a $230K mortgage and a $215K house, so there's not a very long way to go to make a deal either.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel73L View Post
                        Also, our mortgage is held by a small community bank, which according to the attorney, is more likely to deal than a big bank, and finally, we don't have a $500K mortgage and a $250K house, we have a $230K mortgage and a $215K house, so there's not a very long way to go to make a deal either.

I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom, but...

a) Small banks don't have "the shadow inventory" that the TBTF ones do...and are frugal with every penny in most cases, hence

b) A small bank will initiate a foreclosure in a blink of an eye, *especially* if the values are as close as you claim and even more so if you have PMI...

I'm not in NJ and don't know the local customs, so to speak, but would be *extremely* careful in this set of circumstances.

My $0.02 only...

Good luck to us all.
                        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

shark66;
                          I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom, but...

a) Small banks don't have "the shadow inventory" that the TBTF ones do...and are frugal with every penny in most cases, hence

b) A small bank will initiate a foreclosure in a blink of an eye, *especially* if the values are as close as you claim and even more so if you have PMI...

I'm not in NJ and don't know the local customs, so to speak, but would be *extremely* careful in this set of circumstances.

My $0.02 only...
                          excellent points shark as usual. let me just comment here about nj...it's a different planet to say the least. also, whether it is a large bank or a small bank involved it's still a judicial state and it must comply with the court proceedings to complete a foreclosure, and that process is simply taking a long period of time which ever bank may be holding your mortgage in nj. also, the judges there, from what i have heard of people's experiences of actually going to court, the judge is harder on the banks than the people who owe. i'm not implying that that happens in every case.

unfortunately, our experience in nj was we were in fact forced by the bank to be at least, and i mean at least 3 or more months behind in our mortgage prior to any consideration of any type of modification. granted that was a few years back and things have changed somewhat, and a few modifications are now being processed, but it's still a difficult task either way. i just think for today's market in nj, one, indeed, due to such an overage presently of the inventory, a bank MAY be more likely to work with you after you have been discharged. i'm certain they prefer that option as opposed to someone just squatting for the likes of 4 years or more? again, i'm not saying one way or another if this is possible, i'm just saying it gives one a bit more leverage to make a deal. the banks no longer want people in the streets they want someone to keep taking care of the places before they lose their investment? none of what i'm saying is FACT, it's just logical, and hopefully from what i have been hearing from those up north, is being to happen slowly.

Comment

_
                            Last edited by GoGoGophers; 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM. Reason: tried to delete reply but system wouldn't allow it. Ever just change your mind about something? Drats.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGoGophers View Post
                              _
                              just wondering why you changed your mind about your posts. i read it and you made some valid points to think about??? just to point out to you, we stopped paying and were never asked by the trustee what we did with the money. although, had we, we would have said it all went into the move.

if OP is moving, all the money saved can be spent on relocation since if one is no longer able to afford where they live, they are making an effort to downsize to a level where it's better for them financially. actually, one would think a trustee would think that wise?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X