Sofa Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sofa Purchase

We are planning on filing Chapter 7 in about a month. We will receive our tax return and a bonus before the filing. Our current sofa is on its last legs and needs to be replaced. I am talking about springs being broke and such not me just wanting something new. Will we be in trouble with the trustee if we make that purchase?

No problem as long as you pay cash and have an exemption available to cover its value.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Before we filed I was contemplating purchasing a $2000 sofa with tax refund money. I ran it by my attorney and she said it would be perfectly fine, as long as we listed it and it fell within the exemption values. Thank you Craigslist!

Comment

JMHO haggle the price with the seller. Furniture has a huge mark up, never pay full retail offer at least 25% less and state cash. Bet they will take it.

Best wishes. My sofa is shot too so looking for a great deal as well.

Comment

I picked one up at Unique for $8. And it is super-comfy I can't get my ds to sleep in his own bed since it came home. Gotta <3 Unique.
          OTOH that was before The Return of the Bedbugs which, btw, can come in even on new stuff. Argh.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Another place to check that will keep your costs much lower are the many furniture consignment shops that exist in most cities. I'm not talking Salvation Army - these consignment stores take gently used furniture in and sell it back to the public splitting the sale price with the original owner. It's a safe process (no need to work with strangers like you do on Craig's List) and you can sit on and examine the sofa or any other furniture item carefully before purchase.

We've saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars using our local furniture consignment store to replace several pieces of furniture that were damaged or finally wore out throughout our Ch 13. The pieces we bought were originally from top-line stores too! No one could tell that they were second-hand
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by movinonnow View Post
              Before we filed I was contemplating purchasing a $2000 sofa with tax refund money. I ran it by my attorney and she said it would be perfectly fine, as long as we listed it and it fell within the exemption values. Thank you Craigslist!
              A $2000 sofa on Craig's List? I really must get into the here and now because to me that sounds crazy! I would never spend more than $500 on a sofa and that would be if it was brand new from Slumberland.
              Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                A $2000 sofa on Craig's List? I really must get into the here and now because to me that sounds crazy! I would never spend more than $500 on a sofa and that would be if it was brand new from Slumberland.
                I hear ya, if I spent 2k on everything in my house it would be a lot

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                  A $2000 sofa on Craig's List? I really must get into the here and now because to me that sounds crazy!
                  Well, yeah, if the original sticker price was $15K or so...a nice, high-end Italian leather piece...yummy...

Good luck to us all.
                  No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X