Is PACER really useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is PACER really useful?

From time to time I hear about PACER. I've read the sticky about how to sign up but I'm not sure I understand the benefit. Would someone who is going through a 13 please enlighten me? I'm hesitant to sign up for something that will cost me money and fill my email account with junk unless it's really going to help me in some way.
    Thanks much,
    The Bajan
    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

It doesn't fill your email with junk. It's a way to check on the status of your case and to see what has been ACTUALLY filed in your case. It is not for people who have OCD tendencies! Pro se debtors MUST HAVE a PACER account and they MUST BE vigilant... checking daily if they are within the first 30-90 days of a case for Chapter 7s, and almost daily for Chapter 13 through confirmation.

(Pro Se and other debtors can actually register with the Electronic Bankruptcy Noticing center (BNC) to have "PDF" files sent to an e-mail address whenever something happens in their case (except for Claims). This may save you some time, but you still must be vigilant if you are Pro Se.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

So if I used an attorney, I don't really need it?? I'm assuming that you mean the list of claims (debts) that have been filed?

I know this is going to sound really stupid but how does that help me? I mean, why do I need to keep track of that when I already know who I owe money to? Sorry 'bout the ignorance here...
      Thanks again for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBajan View Post
        So if I used an attorney, I don't really need it?? I'm assuming that you mean the list of claims (debts) that have been filed?

I know this is going to sound really stupid but how does that help me? I mean, why do I need to keep track of that when I already know who I owe money to? Sorry 'bout the ignorance here...
        Thanks again for your response.
        I was wondering the same thing also so not a stupid question at all. I was thinking the attorney would keep me updated and I didn't have to bother with PACER when it came time for us to file.

Comment

Most people do not even get a bill for Pacer as it is billed every quarter and only if you go ever $10 (I think that is the amount) for that entire time. Its only .08 cents a page and if check it only once a day (say at 6:00 pm) you do not accumulate much at all. It was a way to track the process and I saw the case happen way before my attorney notiifed me. In some instances I notified him as to something that has posted that day and what was it! I like to stay on top of things and as the attorneys have 100's of cases they cannot possibly notifiy you the second something happens. I do not like surprises and pride myself on staying informed, always. I feel like I cannot make informed decisions about events if I do not understand what is going on you know what I mean?

Also, to be honest I have heard horror stories about people that depended on their attorney to get it done and they screwed up, many of them have commented that if they had stayed on top of things it might not have been such a mess in the end. In the entire 92 days from signing onto Pacer until our discharge/close date I racked up a total of .32 cents and that was looking almost once a day. Good Luck!

Comment

Some people check PACER obsessively. Others have decided that it's something they can live without. It's a useful tool that can be virtually free if used thoughtfully. Probably a good idea for most here unless they know they can't keep it under control

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Thank you all for your perspectives. Drazil, you made some good points. I do know what you mean. I have a lot of faith in my attorney but he is a bit of a procrastinator and I can see where it may be useful to me in that regard.
              Thanks again! Have a great day!

Comment

I also second a thank you to Drazil, it gave me somethng to think about. Pam

Comment

If you have an attorney, feel reasonably on confident in your case, no point in registering for PACER. Any notice that goes out get's mailed to you anyway.

Comment

I used PACER to save PDF files of EVERY document regarding my BK that was ever filed to the court or sent to me or my attorney or creditor. Oh and I religiously clicked F5 until I saw I was discharged LOL
                    Chapter 7 Filed 12/7/11
                    341 Hearing 1/12/12
                    Discharged 3/23/12!

Comment

What do you mean any notice that goes out? Also which one do you think is more accurate 13 data center or pacer? Which one does the court system use?

Comment

First, 13DataCenter and PACER server two entirely different purposes. The former is how the Trustee manages payments and claims, and the latter (PACER) is the official court docket.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                          It is not for people who have OCD tendencies!
                          As someone with OCD tendencies, I can attest to this statement. It has made me downright neurotic (I think I was only borderline, before).
                          Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                          Discharged! June 28, 2012
                          Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

I check PACER ever 3-6 months, just to make sure nothing has changed, I decided to check it tonight since it is a new quarter and saw they upped the price per page and also increased the allowance before they start to charge:

"In order to support and improve the Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) system, the Judicial Conference of the United States has authorized an increase in the electronic public access (EPA) fee from 8 cents per page to 10 cents per page effective April 1, 2012.

PACER users who do not accrue charges of more than $15.00 in a quarterly billing cycle will not be charged a fee. (The current exemption is $10.00 per quarter.)"
                            Local, state and federal government agencies will be exempted from this increase for a period of three years.
                            Discharged 5/2015

Comment

I find it very useful, the lawyer tends to not communicate things as quickly as we would like, so I check pacer and see info more promptly.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X