top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting ready to file - any last minute words of wisdom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally getting ready to file - any last minute words of wisdom?

Hi,

We meet with our attorney again next week to go over everything before we file in June. I am so excited after what seems like "forever" since we first met with her in November. All she has asked for is updated pay information, we will also take our current expenses. I am hoping we can take the credit class this weekend. Will probably file first or second week in June because of how pay and bills fall.

Just wanted to see if there was anything else we should do? I think we have it covered.

Also, just wanted to say "YAY" it is almost started!

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I'm not sure what exactly else you need to do other than bring the paperwork the attorney requested and do the credit course. We are meeting with our lawyer next week for our petition appointment and just have to bring additional pay stubs. We turned our paperwork in last week and hopefully will get to file next week. I'm glad the time is getting close for your guys! I'm sure it will be a bring relief for you guys once you have finally filed!! Good luck!

Comment

File on the day your bank account balances are the LOWEST...i.e. right before you get paid. The trustee will want to see the $ amounts on the DAY you filed.

Comment

We are filing for ch 7 either the last part of May or the first week of June we have finally got most of the paper work complete. We stopped all automatic payments and are just paying with money orders. Good luck I hope all goes well.
        Kathy

Comment

Deep breath and JUMP.
          You'll be fine, and we'll all catch you before you hit the ground.
          Best of luck, hang in there, it will all be over before you know it.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Lynn, best thing you can do under the circumstances, you have come along way. You will be in the 60 day club before you know it then we will be celebrating your discharge, good luck! Keep us updated!

Comment

Yay! Yay! Yay! You are doing the best thing possible for both of you! Plus you know we are all here if you need us.
              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Thanks everyone! The information and support here is wonderful.

Why should I stop automatic payments? We do have our GEICO premiums come out of our checking account, and our newspaper. That's all I can think of right now. If we don't have any credit with our credit unions (we have two accounts) will they freeze our accounts? I hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Go over the auto payments and banking accounts with you attorney to be sure you are doing the right thing. We were told by our attorney to stop all payments 3 months prior to filing and to move our banking accounts to banks that we did not have loans with. CU seem to react differently from regular banks so check on all of this with your attorney
                  Lawyer - $3000
                  Filing fee - $299
                  Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
                    Thanks everyone! The information and support here is wonderful.

Why should I stop automatic payments? We do have our GEICO premiums come out of our checking account, and our newspaper. That's all I can think of right now. If we don't have any credit with our credit unions (we have two accounts) will they freeze our accounts? I hadn't thought of that.
                    I've heard that some creditors will stop the automatic payments. Are these payments initiated by your bank, or initiated by the creditor? Bank pays should be okay, unless you have a loan with your bank or some other reason to list them as a creditor. In that case your bank could freeze your accounts. Here's an example, Toyota takes money from my bank account every month. I was told to expect that those payments to stop when they learn of the bankruptcy because they are supposed to stop any form of collection. That's how them taking the money from my account would be viewed. I hope I explained this so it makes sense. You should just be prepared that if you are expecting payments to be taken automatically that they may not be. You just don't want getting behind in any payments. I'm switching over to a new bank anyway so I have to stop all my automatic payments. I just figured I'd wait to set them up after filing just to make it easier.

Comment

Oh I see. We use bill pay on most things so should be OK.
                      Thanks!

Comment

Congratulations, basketbears! Just make sure you go over the paperwork several times before you finally sign. Make sure everything is correct. Don't accept someone saying, "Oh don't worry, we'll correct it." Make sure you SEE the corrected copy!
                        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                          Congratulations, basketbears! Just make sure you go over the paperwork several times before you finally sign. Make sure everything is correct. Don't accept someone saying, "Oh don't worry, we'll correct it." Make sure you SEE the corrected copy!
                          x2!
                          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks! I will be sure to read everything before we sign.

I cannot wait to get it started and over.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X