What to Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to Wear

We already know our 341 is the 6th of July and I was wondering should we wear slacks and a dressy shirt or just jeans and a tee shirt?

I would go with the slacks and a dressy shirt. I mean, you don't need to get all dressed up, but I think it shows respect to the trustee/court if you dress nicely.

Comment

As long as you are clothed, you will be fine

In general, you should wear something that is consistent to the lifestyle portrayed in your BK petition. Trustee's look for anything amiss to decide if they give a case more scrutiny. So although I doubt many trustees are this aware, but it is a factor. If you are a working professional, and show up in flip flops, jean shorts and a torn t-shirt, consciously, but more likely sub consciously something is not going to add up. Conversely, if you are a laborer and live in a trailer but show up in $200 shoes and designer threads, something is amiss.

Comment

No jeans and no T-shirt. Wear nice slacks and a nice blouse as you originally suggested. You want to dress 'business casual'. Leave any jewelery at home. Wear nothing fancy. Do nothing to call undue attention to yourself.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I donned slacks and a nice shirt, only to find that most everybody else wore jeans. I was a little annoyed.
          Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
          Discharged! June 28, 2012
          Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

I wore dress slacks, button down shirt and a tie. I was overdressed. I was mistaken for an attorney more than once. But that is how I dress each day for work and I attended the 341 coming directly from work and returning to work afterward.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick replys we will wear slacks and a nice top.

Thanks Kathy

Comment

Interesting...my attorney told me (stay at home mom) to wear jeans. There was 1 woman there with a skirt on and heels and blouse and she looked way overdressed. It could have been her work clothes, but it also made her stand out.

Comment

Our Trustee actually tells you to dress consistently with your financial ability. In other words... dress as you normally would for a typical business meeting or going to the bank to speak with a banker.

I wore no jewelry -- although I usually only wear a watch. I wore what I wear to work; casual business attire including button-down long sleeve shirt, slacks and shoes. At the two 341 meetings that I have attended, the dress represented what you'd find in most common settings. While I wear suits to the BK court hearings (before a judge), I found no suits worn in the 341 Meetings with exception to some attorneys.

Dress to your financial ability. Show some respect for the process and you will be respected. Do not go out and buy new clothes for this meeting. This should be something in your closet!
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I wore black jeans with shoes and just a regular top nothing flashy. Most people were in jeans and sneakers. Be clean, be cordial and speak up when asked questions and you'll be fine. My 341 meeting was held in a room that resembled a school room.

Comment

Ill speak up if I don't faint lol. I think this month is going to fly by since I'm so nervous about the meeting next month. I had thought about wearing just a causal skirt and top instead of slacks. I hope thats not too dressy. I am so glad to be on this board everyone is so helpful.

Comment

I just had my 341 and I was the only one who wore a shirt and tie, or anything even CLOSE to business casual lol Most people were in their "street clothes"...In fact, one of the attorneys there to meet with a client thought I was an attorney too lol I'm a professional, coming from work to my 341, so I dressed like one. If you wear flip flops and look like you just rolled out of bed, your trustee MAY not care...key word is MAY so err on the side of "nice clothes" (whatever that means to you)

Comment

I wore jeans and a nice top. Didn't really see it as a occasion to dress up. I was only in there for 5 minutes and she didn't seem to notice. Even my attorney was dressed in a casual top and skirt.
                          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

I wore jeans and a nice top. The only person there who was dressed up was a girl who came directly from her grandfather's funeral. Felt bad for her. Her story, if true, was that her husband saddled her with a ton of debt and took off, forcing her into bankruptcy. She was young, and seemed like a genuine person. The stress of bankruptcy itself is enough, but add a messy divorce and having to show up for your 341 the day of your grandfather's funeral and I can't even imagine. I didn't feel so sorry for myself after talking with her.

Comment

I work a long but simple skirt, white blouse and jacket- what I'd wear to work on a normal day. Which made me the most dressed up debtor in the room by far. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but the trustee is now considering converting me to an asset case and selling the house I planned to abandon anyway. I don't know if one is related to the other, but I wish I'd blended in more.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X