top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a reasonable amount of atty communication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a reasonable amount of atty communication?

This is the first time I've ever hired an attorney. Our 341 was last week and case is a no asset BK7. The trustee did give a hard time about anything he could, so I left nervous and not relieved.

I've since sent 2 separate emails to the paralegal on our case, copying the atty, with items requested of us. Is it reasonable to expect a confirmation of receipt or that it has been forwarded to the trustee? I don't want to be a PITA client, but it sure would make me feel better to know a date that they were forwarded.

I did get a letter in the mail 2 days after the hearing, from the atty summarizing our 341 and requesting the items, but I had already emailed them by that point.
    BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

I would pick up the phone and call the paralegal and ask the question. Did they tell you to email them?
    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Originally posted by stray View Post
      ... I did get a letter in the mail 2 days after the hearing, from the atty summarizing our 341 and requesting the items, but I had already emailed them by that point.
      I would follow up by mail, with a copy of the letter from the atty, enclosing a hard copy of whatever he was requesting, and mentioning that you also had emailed them on (whatever date you emailed).

I have heard all kinds of excuses from my atty, including the one, "my assistant misfiled your email, and I had not read it."

Comment

I suggest you send an email asking for confirmation that they received the prior messages. I wouldn't bother following up by snail mail unless they don't respond to your follow up email. While it is helpful for an attorney or paralegal to reply to an email to confirm receipt, it may not be their practice. So, if you want confirmation they received it, ask them in future emails to confirm receipt. The best way to have your expectations met is to make clear what your expectations are.
        Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 08-20-2012, 05:35 PM.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I feel very fortunate. Our attorney emails or calls us back within 24 hours. She is great.

Comment

I'll email the paralegal tomorrow to make sure she received everything and ask if it has been forwarded to TT. He asked for photos of one of our old vehicles. DH asked the atty in the hall afterward, how many should we take? The atty said, you met the guy. So we took a lot.
            BK7 Filed 7/10/12 • 341 8/15/12 • Discharged 10/17/12 • Closed 5/6/13 Thanks to everyone here!

Comment

Stray,
              Did you email today?
              Our attorney was a little slim on the communication, but I'm also a *very* nervous person and like to be in constant contact with someone during something as big as bankruptcy! Were it me, I would have called the attorney's office.

Comment

Yes, I emailed the paralegal just asking for confirmation of receipt of the items and also if they were sent to TT. I just said I wanted to make sure I did everything I could, then I promised I'd be patient. She answered yes and yes and was very nice about it. So now I just wait...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X