Corporate American Express Card and Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporate American Express Card and Bankruptcy

I filed bankruptcy in 2010 and was discharged in 2011.
    I just made partner at my law firm. Yay! The firm issues AMEX cards to partners for firm expenses. I know AMEX blacklists you, especially if you went bankrupt on them (which I did). Just wondering whether it makes a difference if the card is under the firm's account.

I have no advice on the Amex, but just wanted to say congratulations!

Comment

I am the administrator of a credit card program where I work (no it's not Amex). The cards are the property of the place where I work but are issued in individuals's names just for liability issues. The only thing given to the credit card company is the person's name. We do not give personal information such as SSN, address or personal phone numbers. As such, the credit card company has no way of knowing the financial background of the cardholder (the liability is between my place of employment and the credit card company). If I was you I would ask what information is provided to Amex about the cardholder.
      Congratulations on becoming a partner!!!!!
      Filed Chapter 13 - 07/20/12
      Discharged 8/2/16

Comment

I iib $200k from amex discharged about 15 months ago. I have a corporate card with the company i am with now with amex. No issues on getting it that i am aware - i do know when they first requested it, amex asked for my ssn and bd as usual. the person requesting it didnt have it at that exact moment, but called in with it about a month later, and they didnt revoke my corporate card.

I know it doesnt report on your credit report either.

PS Congrats!!!

Comment

Had a corp Amex at the time I filed CH13, personal Amex (Blue Card) was among the claims on BK. Didn't have any issues with the corp Amex, had it for almost 2 years into CH13 (until I changed employers).

Comment

The biggest difference is whether the Corporate AMEX is personal liability or corporate liability. A company can absolutely guarantee payment and you would receive a card regardless of whether you filed against AMEX or even on an AMEX Corp Card itself! It's all in the liability.

At my company, a Corp sponsored (liable) AMEX has a $5,000 limit. The personal responsibility Corp AMEX cards have a $75,000 to $100,000 limit. (Yes, AMEX cards actually do have limits.)
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
              I asked the other new partners at my firm and they did not recall filling out any application or signing anything to get their card. I guess the office administrator could have filled it out for them.
              Thanks for the congrats too. This is a huge swing in my life from not being able to pay my bills and being sued multiple times just over two years ago to making partner.
              For those wondering, I filed Chapter 13 and then converted to 7, then discharge. I had a great attorney and a lot of luck.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X