top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have some questions.. Would LOVE some answers :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, creditors will call you a lot if you quit paying "cold turkey" however you can always use Google Voice, change your home phone number, or take advantage of the call screening and blocking features of your cellphone. Creditors will attempt to collect by sending dunning letters and collection calls for many months before they will consider bringing legal action. Since you are not on the deed to any real estate, have no current verifiable employment, and own no investment or other attachable property, I very seriously doubt you will be sued. If for some reason you are sued, you are currently collections-proof (i.e. the creditor would not be able to enforce its judgment to seize or garnish anything from you).

Comment

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
      All this talk about bankruptcy fraud goes right out the window as long as you don't actually file for bankruptcy. It sounds like bankruptcy would not be useful to you, anyways.
      bcohen, while I respect your balanced views (on the other side of the scales), this type of fraud extends beyond bankruptcy. I'm more conservative.

In every State that I know, any attempt to hinder, delay or defraud a creditor by moving property around, is a fraudulent conveyance. Certain types of transactions, while no one/creditor may notice or care to review, are fraudulent regardless of bankruptcy; especially around manipulating assets to hide or protect them from creditors. (See the Uniform Fraudulent Transfer Act which Kentucky participates. "Fraudulent conveyance occurs when a person intentionally transfers property to another with the intent to defraud, hinder, or delay a creditor’s ability to collect on a debt.")

In any event, I asked that they visit either an asset protection attorney "and/or" a bankruptcy attorney. They need to find the best path forward after someone has looked at their very specific issues.

I don't have the answers, but I know that doing anything that hinders, delays or defrauds creditors is fraud by definition. That's whether it's actual fraud or technical fraud.
      Last edited by justbroke; 03-01-2015, 05:13 PM.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1984 View Post
        wouldnt the credit card companies bring a hailstorm down on me if I simply stopped making payments? It seems like I would be constantly harassed by creditors and suid as well.
        Not necessarily. They will be the ones screaming the loudest, because they know their debt is unsecured should you file BK. Deal with it when it happens.

Anticipating worry is non-productive.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X