Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting a copy or transcript of your tax return from the IRS

1.6 IRS Procedures: Copies & Transcripts

How do I request a copy of my tax return for last year?

If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed return and all attachments (including Form W-2 (PDF)), you must complete Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return and mail it to the IRS address in the instructions along with a $39 fee for each tax year requested. Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past 6 years.

In cases where an exact copy of the return is not needed, tax return and transcripts may be ordered. The tax return transcript shows most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. In most cases, a tax return transcript will meet the requirements for lending institutions for mortgage verification purposes. (NOTE: This is often acceptable for BK purposes--ask your lawyer and/or trustee just in case.)

The transcript can be ordered by completing a Form 4506-T (PDF) or calling (800) 829-1040 and following the prompts in the recorded message. There is no charge for the transcript and you should receive it in 10 business days from the time we receive your request. Tax return transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years. If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, you must request a "Tax Account Transcript". This transcript shows basic data including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income, taxable income, payments and adjustments made on your account. Tax return and account transcripts are generally available for the current and past 3 years. (NOTE: Not sure why it's not included in here, but they will also fax immediately--I've done it myself.)

Form 4506-T (PDF) can also be used to get proof from the IRS that you did not file a tax return for a particular tax year.

Forms can be downloaded at Forms & Pubs or ordered by calling (800) 829-3676.

When you are finished with FAQs, please tell us if we have helped you by clicking here and taking a short survey.

References:

Form 4506 (PDF) Request for Copy of Tax Return

Form 4506-T (PDF) Request for Transcript of Tax Return
    *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

I printed out a copy of my tax return when I e-filed every year for the last three years. Can't I just make a copy of them to give to a BK attorney? As a matter of fact, wouldn't that be better than a transcript?
    Filed C7: 04/25/2007
    341: 05/21/2007
    Last Day for Objections: 07/20/2007
    Discharged: 07/23/07 Closed: 07/26/07

Comment

Good News

I just recently filed Ch 13 on 6/21/07 & needed to get copy of transcripts for 2002 & 2003 & when IRS they were able to fax them to me.

Comment

Originally posted by manglicmot View Post
        I printed out a copy of my tax return when I e-filed every year for the last three years. Can't I just make a copy of them to give to a BK attorney? As a matter of fact, wouldn't that be better than a transcript?
        yes, if you have a BK attorney, i think its best to leave everything up to them as they know the ins and outs, in fact you should consult them for any matter regarding BK, you will be surprised how much knowledge it takes to know so much about filing bankruptcy. much luck to you.
        Last edited by lrprn; 07-12-2007, 01:10 PM. Reason: remove unapproved web link from signature
        Successful debt reduction starts with a plan and ends with success.
        get out of debt

Comment

Can get transcripts faxed

I just called that IRS 800 number and got my transcripts faxed to me. The phone call took about 35 minutes since the woman had to pull the records and then fax 26 pages and make sure they went through, but I have them.

I only went back four years (2003-2006) so I hope that's okay but I'll find out tomorrow when I pay my retainer fee.
          11/13/07 - Filed Chapter 7
          12/13/07 - 341 Meeting
          02/12/08 - Discharged
          02/15/08 - Case closed

Comment

I did it yesterday and the only thing is that you have to be at your fax machine or they will not fax it.

Comment

Do you have to have the paid for copies, or will the free ones do?

Thanks!

~Christina

Comment

Originally posted by manglicmot View Post
                I used to think the same thing.
                But then one client, when dropping off copies of all of her tax returns happend to mention in passing....

"Oh, no, these aren't filed yet. They're just copies."

Transcripts are versions of what has been received by the IRS. As you see, that difference can be critical. If you just have copies, they could be wrong, ammended, unfiled, etc.

Comment

re: tax if you file in late 08 and discharge say 3/ 09 will they take your upcoming tax returns after u file april 15???

Comment

IRS Transcripts

I learned of a services called TaxScripts TaxPro. Has anyone used this for pulling IRS transcripts?

I also hear we can submit Power of Attorneys.

Tax, accounting, workflow, and firm management solutions to help your firm succeed, with the research tools you need to stay sharp.

Comment

Does anyone know how to get copies of W-2's or W-9's from previous years?

Thanks for any help,
                      Robert G
                      [Active advertising link removed. Against forum rules.]
                      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

You have two easy and convenient options for getting copies of your federal tax return information--tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts--by phone or by mail.

Comment

OK...I need a transcript for my 2010 return fast, and when I call the 800 number (8291040) all I get is the option to have them mailed to me in ten days. How did you get them faxed? That wasn't an option on any menu, and I couldn't find a way to speak to a person.
                          Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X