Homeowner's Insurance Will Not Tell Me What I Owe for Total

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeowner's Insurance Will Not Tell Me What I Owe for Total

I now have a problem with my Homeowner's Insurance. Unfortunately, I missed a payment, just forgot it. So, I hurriedly rushed them off a payment. Then, I thought, why not use their online app, and be notified, like I do with every other company. I signed up. Next I know, I get an e-mail, congratulating me on signing up. I go to the app, to check to see if they got my payment, and it would not let me in, saying I was cancelled. I called my agent, and she had me call the company the next day, and said that I would be reinstated.
    So, I called and yes they would reinstate me for a fee of $350. So, I asked if they received my payment of $250. They had, but still wanted $350. Feeling, extorted, I paid it. Now the total of the policy, balance was $450. I pointed that out, and the phone answerer said if I paid too much I would get it back. I asked what the total amount I owed was, and he said later after I was reinstated I could check it out. It sounded so sleazy, I always thought that any business, even an insurance company, would tell you what your total bill was to be.

I don't know what I can do if anything. Is this typical? I wanted to avoid the bank's force placed insurance.

I don't know for what is allowed in Massachusetts by issuers of insurance when it comes to policy renewals.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If you're reinstated, you're reinstated. Insurance companies are highly regulated especially with premiums and they are far more likely to cheat you on the claims side by reducing your insurance benefit, not the premium paying side. If you are late, you probably end up paying more than $250 to catch up. If you overpaid, you will get a refund. I had a situation where I had an extra car of the same make/model/year on my policy by mistake. They told me to just let the inflated autopay premium go through rather than risk a policy lapse and it would sort itself out even though the agent had already removed the extra car. The following month the autopay was almost zero due to the overpayment.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X