I'm confused about rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm confused about rates

WE have had all of our insurance with State Farm for almost 30 years. We always hear from others about how expensive they are and so every once in a while we check out other companies. Our most recent check was with USAA because we now bank with them. We've checked with Geico, Allstate, and many of the local companies. We even checked once with someone who is supposed to "shop" to give you the best rate.

For us, no one has ever even come close to the rates we pay with State Farm. I'm not saying our insurance is cheap... I HATE paying insurance and consider it to be a legal form of extortion. However, since I do have to pay it, I want to pay as little as possible. I hear so much negativity about State Farm that it makes me wonder what gives? We've always had great service and haven't been able to beat the prices (albeit expensive).

This may sound like some sort of pitch for them but it's really not. I'm really just putting this out there because it's always confused me. No one else in our family uses them. We opened the account with USAA when we filed BK in part because my husband wanted to check out their insurance. It was about $400 more just for the auto. So this is very confusing to me. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

We are fortunate to have had our rates drop with Allstate. I've been a member for 52 years from my teens. They have treated us very well also. I only had one accident when I was 16 that caused a broken tail light on the other car and a door and fender on my car. Figures. I am pleased with our carrier. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

We've had many try to beat State Farm's rates and they can't touch them. I'm with you. Baj.
      (being a trek fan, I keep seeing "Bajoran" lol-- do you by any chance have a wrinkly nose?)

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
        We've had many try to beat State Farm's rates and they can't touch them. I'm with you. Baj.
        (being a trek fan, I keep seeing "Bajoran" lol-- do you by any chance have a wrinkly nose?)
        lol... I'm a treky also. and no, I have a very Roman nose! :P

Comment

Could it be that you get low rates because you have been insured with them for so long?
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
            really? nj manufactures was the best for us in nj. now here in florida we pay twice the amount and if you think ny and nj drivers are bad, you haven't seen anything until you live here. i have been told florida's rates are the highest in the country, but then again when i moved to nj i was told they were as they had the most cars per capita... i don't know. all i know is we just got another offer from hartford claiming they could save us $300.

part of the reason i know ours is so high is i have the highest or lowest limits on everything...$50 deductible, 500k liability etc. which the guy said yesterday we don't need and could save $150 if we just dropped that. easy for him to say if we get sued...also remember in nj you have the right to refuse the threshold for suing, plus medical coverage if you are covered by health insurance,whereas, here in florida it is mandatory.

i really believe much of ones costs has to do with where they live.
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              Could it be that you get low rates because you have been insured with them for so long?
              That could be true of now or even 10 or 15 years ago. However, we've been searching every couple of years from the time we first got insurance. I've always been one to shop around and even way back then they were the cheapest I could find.

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
              really? nj manufactures was the best for us in nj. now here in florida we pay twice the amount and if you think ny and nj drivers are bad, you haven't seen anything until you live here. i have been told florida's rates are the highest in the country, but then again when i moved to nj i was told they were as they had the most cars per capita... i don't know. all i know is we just got another offer from hartford claiming they could save us $300.

part of the reason i know ours is so high is i have the highest or lowest limits on everything...$50 deductible, 500k liability etc. which the guy said yesterday we don't need and could save $150 if we just dropped that. easy for him to say if we get sued...also remember in nj you have the right to refuse the threshold for suing, plus medical coverage if you are covered by health insurance,whereas, here in Florida it is mandatory.

i really believe much of ones costs has to do with where they live.
              I know that certainly has a bearing on it but and I'm sure that we would pay much more if we were in Florida. My father lives in Leesburg and he is always complaining about the ridiculous rates down there. But that still shouldn't affect an apples-to-apples quote for us in our location. It's just perplexing to me.

Comment

i do want to mention that we prior to moving had the same insurance co. for over 28 years, both car and house and i do believe that your rates are effected by your longevity with the company.
                i know due to nj vasts regulatory insurance system many companies opted out of the state...state farm was one. and, just a side note here, i called them when we first moved here and they said they were not writing anymore policies, i don't know if that's still the case today.

funny you mentioning this, as we got something in the mail just before your posted this thread and my other half was looking into it to see if we could save money. $300 a year pays for our season passes to seaworld LOL!! (although we have only been there twice) money is money.

but really if isn't broken, i wouldn't try to fix it, sounds like you're getting an excellent rate with a first tier company, if i were you, i would stay put.

ps. can you ask you dad to suggest any good places to eat in leesburg????
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tobee,

I will do that. He's been there for 14 years now and really enjoys it.

Cheers!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X