Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rustymich
    replied
    I pay over 500 out out ot pocket a month for a family of 4....No breaks thats just health insurance

Leave a comment:

• GoingDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Nursemikki View Post
    My suggestion was to go with a state plan, but it looks like you've already tried that. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
    By state plan, I'm assuming you tried your state's version of Medicaid? In Arizona it is called A.H.C.C.C.S. They come up with some weird names, but it is really just Medicaid.

It may not help you much now, but in 2014, you will likely be able to get on it when the Medicaid Expansion goes nationwide under Obamacare.

In the meanwhile, you might look for your local equivalent of this...

They have been extremely helpful for me and very cheap and affordable. They base your bill on your ability to pay. A sliding fee scale, if you can't afford insurance.

And always keep in mind your county hospital:

"Financial Assistance Program

Affordable Health Care

At Maricopa Integrated Health System, we know seeking medical care can be overwhelming. That's why we have developed a program to help you deal with the financial stress of paying for the health care you deserve.

MIHS' Financial Assistance Program is designed give you realistic payment options. Applicants must apply for, and be denied, AHCCCS to qualify for our Financial Assistance Program.

Key facts about MIHS' Financial Assistance Program

Maricopa Integrated Health System has professionals ready to walk you through the AHCCCS application process. Call the clinic nearest you to begin the application process.
    Based on federal guidelines, you may be eligible to receive medical care from Maricopa Medical Center. (Based on AHCCCS denial)
    A sliding fee scale will be used to determine the percentage of your bill you will pay. To find out more about the sliding scale, call the MIHS Business Office at 602.344.8181.

Even if you don't qualify for AHCCCS, MIHS' Financial Assistance Program will help you get the quality care you need.

To learn more about MIHS and our Financial Assistance Program call 602.344.8181 today.

Financial Assistance Program at a glance

You must apply for AHCCCS coverage and be denied to participate in the Financial Assistance Program.
    The Financial Assistance Program uses a sliding fee scale that determines what you pay based on your income level and household size.
    Maricopa Integrated Health System can help you even if you are uninsured or underinsured. We are your community health care system, and we'll work with you to prove it.

What you need to know

Who: Anyone who resides in Maricopa County.
    What: Must apply for AHCCCS.
    How: You will need:

Identification: Current I.D. or birth certificate for every person in household as well as Social Security cards.
    Proof of Income: Information that verifies income for at least the last 30 days. If not received any income in the last 30 days, a statement from the person(s) providing financial support is required.
    Proof of Address: Document verifying Maricopa County residency. Can be a: recent utility bill, rent/mortgage receipt, voter registration card or a letter from a non-related landlord or neighbor.
    Citizenship or immigration documents.

When: Call the Family Health Center nearest you. "
    Last edited by GoingDown; 01-29-2013, 01:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lillymarlene
    replied
    I agree^ My boyfriend and I have pre-existing conditions, too. Then a friend of ours moved away to another state for awhile, and he was absolutely horrified. He said there was nothing, just no "programs." (Now he's back here in Massachusetts.)

Leave a comment:

• Logan
    replied
    Originally posted by lillymarlene View Post
    I have, right now anyway, affordable state insurance. Only problem is, please don't flame me, looking at some of these posts, I sure wouldn't want to move out of this state. I also have to be wary about taking on any part-time job, since it could possibly push me out of, or to another "level" for this insurance. Though, employers here are forced to offer insurance for full-time employees and must pay at least 50% (should that ever happen.)
    A friend of mine moved to Norway (his wife was Norwegian) because she could not get insured without paying a ridiculous amount of money because of a preexisting condition. She's over there having babies and will come back in a few years when there situation changes.
    Healthcare is a privilege in this country and unless we want to become more like Europe it will always be a privilege.
    Logan

Leave a comment:

• lillymarlene
    replied
    I have, right now anyway, affordable state insurance. Only problem is, please don't flame me, looking at some of these posts, I sure wouldn't want to move out of this state. I also have to be wary about taking on any part-time job, since it could possibly push me out of, or to another "level" for this insurance. Though, employers here are forced to offer insurance for full-time employees and must pay at least 50% (should that ever happen.)

Leave a comment:

• ExplorerZ
    replied
    Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
    ETA: I got distracted-sorry!. What I am attempting to say is to make an appointment with your family practitioner, and ask about payment arrangements. Most will work with you.
    This is especially true when it's a scheduled service rather than emergency. Shop around for the best cash rate and use sites like Healthcare Blue Book to price out options and figure out the "gotcha" items (eg. anesthesia). Services that require facilities can often bundle payments for cash clients too, saving even more. A few doctors can do basic bloodwork at the office for cash clients (it's just easer to let big labs handle billing with insurance), so that's another thing to consider when shopping doctors since that can be such a huge unknown.

It's often cheaper to just pay the cash rate than the insurance rate, but it won't go toward your deductible so it's a bit of a gamble.

Leave a comment:

• AngelinaCat
    replied
    In the hopes that this information helps someone, here is what I know and have experienced:

My Family Care Provider has three levels of service payments: Medicare/Medicaid; Insurance; and Patient Pay. 'Patient Pay' is the lowest level of payment allowed--below that of 'Medicare'. So I have 'Patient Pay'. Fortunately, I also have an HSA account, with which I can pay the copays. But when you have a $3500.00 deductible and you have a problem like I did with a fall and resulting emergency room services/charges, the HSA can run out fast.

ETA: I got distracted-sorry!. What I am attempting to say is to make an appointment with your family practitioner, and ask about payment arrangements. Most will work with you.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LadyInTheRed
    replied
    You will be able to apply the tax credit to your premium. From the official federal government website on Obamacare: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/inform...dividuals.html

Start here to get information relevant for you: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/inform...you/index.html

The tax credit doesn't start until 2014. Each state can set up its own insurance exchange. In states where an exchange is not set up by October 2013 to allow people to get coverage for 2014, the federal government will run an exchange.

keepsmiling, aren't you in New Jersey? According to my research, your governor vetoed legislation to set up an exchange.

Here's another site that looks like a good source of information: http://healthreform.kff.org/en/the-basics.aspx

Leave a comment:

• keepsmiling
    replied
    Thanks FG for that link. We should qualify for something as we are not more than 400% of FPL. But I don't understand... do we have to put out the cash and wait for a tax credit???? And just not eat or have heat until tax time? (and then worry about a tt taking the refund???)

Leave a comment:

• Floridagail
    replied
    I found this article interesting, http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/...dies-will-work. It appears to me if you do not qualify for medicaid in your state, it will cost you.

Leave a comment:

• keepsmiling
    replied
    What I am trying to learn is about credits etc for those of us who cannot afford insurance. I know there is something about that in those 900 pages but no idea how it all falls out. Does anyone here actually understand what is going to happen? Again, I need info -- please not political commentary.

Also I am leery of screwing myself again by getting him insurance and then falling thru the "must be uninsured for x mos to qualify" loophole.
    Trying to pull us up by taking a part time job was the DUMBEST thing I ever did. Go know.

Leave a comment:

• WanabeFree
    replied
    Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
    I am currently paying for my own catastrophic care insurance with a very high deductible--$3500.00, and I am paying $389.00 damned dollars a month I CAN NOT afford.

When it goes up again in a month or two when a letter from BC&BS informing me of some new aspect of Obamacare going into effect that causes MY rates to rise, I will have to drop coverage entirely. I am only 60 years old and do not qualify for Medicare. And I do not believe that Medicare will be there in five years.

And do not tell me that I can shop around. I have done so. I have pre-existing conditions.
    I am with you Cat. I am a 59 yr old male and pay $385 per month with a $2750 annual co-pay. I put $100 per month into an HSA account but can not really afford it. My wife is on permanent disability SSDI so she gets Medicare otherwise we would not be eating. I have read that those of us that are below the median income will be eligible for some sort of financial assistance but I am not holding my breath.

As far as I see it Obama Don't Care.

Leave a comment:

• AngelinaCat
    replied
    I am currently paying for my own catastrophic care insurance with a very high deductible--$3500.00, and I am paying $389.00 damned dollars a month I CAN NOT afford.

When it goes up again in a month or two when a letter from BC&BS informing me of some new aspect of Obamacare going into effect that causes MY rates to rise, I will have to drop coverage entirely. I am only 60 years old and do not qualify for Medicare. And I do not believe that Medicare will be there in five years.

And do not tell me that I can shop around. I have done so. I have pre-existing conditions.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• helpmeout
    replied
    Do a google search on health insurance. When my ex switched jobs, he was a consultant and didn't get insurance as a result. He found a plan for around $600 a month. I helped him out by giving him a list of other insurers websites (there was a reason why I handled the finances when we were married) and he found something considerably cheaper. Not the best, but it was better than nothing. Just shop around.

Leave a comment:

• deesmom
    replied
    I've been lurking here for awhile, but just had to post on this topic. My husband became disabled a few years ago, we lost our house, went through a chapter 7, and now are doing fine. We have a small apartment, and he gets SSDI. It covers all our bills and even leaves a little left over for savings. Hubby will be able to get medicare in about a year but I'm wondering how much it is going to cost for me to get "Obamacare". We are way below the median income for our area but I way above the "poverty line". OK, didn't have much to add to this conversation, I'm just concerned. I need health insurance but not sure how we will be able to afford it.

Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X