Premises Liability Insurance For Vacant House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premises Liability Insurance For Vacant House

Hello everyone! This is my first post so if I screw up, please try not to pounce on me TOO hard

We filed chapter 13 in September. We surrendered the house and moved out three weeks ago. I have my auto insurance and homeowners insurance with the same company. Of course when I reported my change of address for the auto insurance, the homeowners policy came up. To make a long story short, the woman told me that because I told them about the move, I have until the beginning of March before they cancel my policy. My attorney told me I would be responsible for "slip and fall" coverage on the house but nothing else. I tried to explain this to the customer service agent and she said, "What if the house burns down?" I was under the impression that it's the mortgage company's problem since I've surrendered the house. I do know that as long as the title has my name on it, I'm responsible for any injuries, etc. At the end of the day, she said she'd check around to see if she could find someone who would sell me that kind of coverage.

So, I guess my bottom line question is this: Do any of you know of a good, reasonably priced policy that would cover my ASSets if some clown tried to sue me. The prospect of easy money in this day and age gives me the creeps because frivilous law suits have a way of making people rich quick while ruining your life at the same time! Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Try the American Integrity Insurance Group. I don't know state you are in, but this company specifically advertises that it "covers vacant dwellings" here in Florida.

You will have difficulty getting insurance for a building when the insurance agents learn that you are not living in it. We had trouble insuring our home when we were redoing the bedroom and were camping right along side it. A basic fire/dwelling policy should work, but it will depend on the company. Be sure to go to your local independent agent, and go IN PERSON. This is not something you can do over the phone, or online.

Good luck!
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

as angelinacat points out, it may depend on which state you live in. our house in nj we could get NO ONE absolutely not a single insurance company to cover it while or when we vacated. state law in that state says posts signs until they come out of ones ears stating NO TRESPASSING, ENTER at your OWN RISK STAY OUT!!!...all disclaimers.

trespassing is against the law in most states. take pictures of the signs. also, the bank immediately put the premises on their umbrella policy. while it doesn't cover slip and falls, trespassers do not get rewarded, at least not where we had or have or old property.

yet, i have heard here and there about those that were able to maintain insurance, but when backed into a corner it seems as those the people that had insurance was because they were renting the premises they vacated.

good luck with it! i would question you atty about posting the signs and seeing if the bank covers fire, hazard ...
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thank you for your replies! My atty said that I should have insurance on the house until it goes to auction since if anything happens, i. e. fire, injury, etc., he couldn't help me if I were sued since I've filed. So I guess I have no choice, even though I think it's bs that I have to pay for insurance on a house I've surrendered. I still have a lot of items in the house that I want to get out of there and still have time to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by ohheckno View Post
          Thank you for your replies! My atty said that I should have insurance on the house until it goes to auction since if anything happens, i. e. fire, injury, etc., he couldn't help me if I were sued since I've filed. So I guess I have no choice, even though I think it's bs that I have to pay for insurance on a house I've surrendered. I still have a lot of items in the house that I want to get out of there and still have time to do so.
          really?? i find that very interesting because as i said before, usually the bank will min put hazard insurance on the property. also, i will stress this, if we could have, we would have. so it may cost you a few bucks for some peace of mind, i suppose.

also, can you find someone to cover a vacate home in your area?
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

We bought an "Umbrella" liability policy from the company that handles our auto and renters insurance (they did handle the homeowner's insurance until we notified them that we moved). It covers 'slip & fall' but not the structure. That is the bank's issue. It was very inexpensive as I recall. Under $500/year for $1M coverage. YMMV. Good luck!
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

We went with an umbrella policy as well for all our empty houses to cover liability. The banks covered the rest.
              Lawyer - $3000
              Filing fee - $299
              Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                really?? i find that very interesting because as i said before, usually the bank will min put hazard insurance on the property. also, i will stress this, if we could have, we would have. so it may cost you a few bucks for some peace of mind, i suppose.

also, can you find someone to cover a vacate home in your area?

I'm going to contact American Modern and Foremost and see what their prices are. My homeowners insurance agent said she'd get some names for me as well. BTW I'm in Ohio. Does anyone have any experience with JP Morgan Chase in Ohio? I've heard they can be real bastards.

Comment

The banks do send someone to drive by and check on the property to see if you moved out. They could change the locks if it is empty.
                  My neighbors had a problem getting some stuff out before the forclosure.
                  So make sure the house looks like someone lives there. I would get my stuff out of there. We are almost 3 yrs in our house since last payment, and they paid someone 15.00 a trip for visiting our property.
                  chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

I'm going to contact American Modern and Foremost and see what their prices are. My homeowners insurance agent said she'd get some names for me as well. BTW I'm in Ohio. Does anyone have any experience with JP Morgan Chase in Ohio? I've heard they can be real bastards.
                    i have chase as well. again, i had no problems with not having kept the insurance on the house. i had the signs all over the property and everything locked up. although again, chase changed the locks a couple or few weeks later. and, again, i want to stress i tired to retain liability insurance, but not a one company would cover us. but then again, i really believe it depends on where you live. another example of that is since we lived in the mountains one didn't have to "keep" up the property, it could just go back to the land. no one can tell you if you had to have a lawn or an old car on your front lawn, that is if you had a lawn. so i think many things and situations vary from state to state, county to county and city to city. if chase doesn't keep up your property, like mine, at least i didn't have to worry about it since there was no town,( i didn't live in a "city", but a township) nor county code stating i must keep my lawn kept. now, 30 miles away in the county seat, there was a city ordinance that you must keep up the front of the house etc.

Comment

Well, my insurance agent contacted me and said she couldn't find a single company who would cover me for liability insurance due to the bankruptcy and foreclosure, which I think is a lot of bullsh*t. My attorney's response was,"well, if you can't get it, you can't get it." The mortgage company (Chase) sent me a letter that indicated they would be placing their own insurance on the house within the next 60 days. I'm just wondering at what point do they change the locks and take posession. I still have a few things in the house that I want and feel that as long as the house is still in my name, I have a right to get inside to take them. I have yet to receive a summons. Is this normal?

Comment

Well, my insurance agent contacted me and said she couldn't find a single company who would cover me for liability insurance due to the bankruptcy and foreclosure, which I think is a lot of bullsh*t. My attorney's response was,"well, if you can't get it, you can't get it." The mortgage company (Chase) sent me a letter that indicated they would be placing their own insurance on the house within the next 60 days. I'm just wondering at what point do they change the locks and take posession. I still have a few things in the house that I want and feel that as long as the house is still in my name, I have a right to get inside to take them. I have yet to receive a summons. Is this normal?
                        wow sorry i am a bit untimely on this response.

after we rec'd the summons you have 30 or so days (every state is different so check your paperwork) to reply or not. after we vacated we know since the house was up on the market that it took chase approx. 2 weeks to change the locks and padlock all the outer buildings. our son in law went back from some fishing poles and he said everything was like fort knox. so he couldn't retrieve the fishing poles. if i were you i would get whatever you can out before they do change the locks just to save you a hassle to get a lock smith etc.

i have also found out in the state of nj, it is the ONLY state, thus far, that once a creditor serves you they become legally responsible for all costs pertaining to the house provided you were served with a summons. so i would check out your local state laws about whats what, in reference to what you have to keep up or maintain while in the foreclosure process. i know in the past this was a contention for many insisting that the town can come in and charge you for lawn maintenance, garbage, etc. come to find out it's really county or city or state local laws that are applicable.

N.J.S.A. 46:10B-51, the New Jersey Creditor Responsibility Law is what applies to us, so we are lucky.

i agree with you, until the house is out of your name you have a right to go in there. we should have rented ours out, but were too concerned about liability.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X