Discharge of Obamacare Deductible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge of Obamacare Deductible?

Does anyone know if unpaid Obamacare deductibles are dischargeable in a Consumer Bankruptcy?

A close friend/family member got seriously ill in December (is actually disabled now, for life). In Jan, Obamacare kicked in, but he has the bronze coverage and won't be able to pay the deductible for his medical bills from January going forward.

I am worried his rehab and future coverage may be in danger if he can't pay the deductible. He is probably going to have to file BK since he can't work anymore and can't pay the bills (Health and otherwise) from before Obamacare kicked in, and I was curious if the Obamacare deductibles could be added as debt to discharge.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 02-10-2014, 08:10 PM. Reason: Break post into paragraphs for ease of reading

Of course the deductible is dischargeable--it isn't owed to the health insurance company, nor to the government. It is owed directly to the hospital or doctor, and is therefore dischargeable just like any other medical debt. That being said, since you can only file for Chapter 7 once every 8 years, I suggest you tell your friend to hold off until he has recovered, and he no longer expects to need more doctor/hospital visits.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X