Time investment for pro se chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time investment for pro se chapter 7?

I have a simple case, I think, but I'm in a hurry to file and have a lot of other things to tend to at the moment.

Would hiring a lawyer save me some time? How much time would you say you've invested in your ch 7?

Thanks so much for your input.

I filed chapter 7 pro se. I spent 3 months learning everything I needed to know. I had a simple case. No income, very few assets, a few odd wrinkles..but nothing that couldn't be worked through with enough knowledge.

I doubt I could have got it all correct with less time....however, a month of that was spent waiting for the class the local legal aide offered.

Comment

Do not file pro se if you are in a hurry and don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the process. There is too much to learn and too many mistakes to be made.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Wow, thanks! I was naively hoping I could get it done in a week or so. I guess the term "filing" makes it sound simple.. like it's just filling out some forms and handing them over.

Any idea how soon I could file with a lawyer? And how to find one?

I'm very grateful for your taking the time to answer these questions.

Comment

I TOTALLY concur with "don't do it yourself if you're in a hurry". All in all, I'd estimate I spent a good 80-100 hours learning about the process, compiling my info, teasing out a lot of questions that arose, and actually completing the forms. I took a full week off work to finish up some research and fill out the forms to get everything ready to go. Even when you think you know what to put in each box, something comes up that causes you to need to research and wait for an answer. A deadline hanging over your head invites bad decisions and fatal mistakes. I only filed a couple weeks ago and my case was "easy" as well- Chapter 7, no assets, nothing out of the ordinary. I don't regret doing it myself (yet!) but it was tedious and required a lot of organization and focus. You'll still need to gather the same documents for a lawyer as you would for yourself. As for finding a lawyer, ask around? AVVO?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X