Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

341 and update

We had our 341 meeting Friday. I had not received a list of documents requested by the trustee, and there was nothing posted on the court's website, so I called the office Wednesday. They directed me to the trustee's assistant who was very helpful. She gave me her email address, requested past two years of tax returns, and told me trustee would likely want a recent assessment of our real estate. I emailed the returns to her (thank you Turbo Tax for making it so easy to download and store those PDFs every year!) and she replied with two attachments for me to print and complete before the 341 -- the debtor' statement & a form for pro se filers that basically asks you to disclose any paid preparation help you received.

We we had to park a few blocks away and arrived in plenty of time. I decided not to take my purse in the courthouse since I had a folder and I knew everything would have to be scanned, looked in, etc. So I grabbed my drivers license and put it in my pocket. We had time to sit and listen to the trustee and attorneys shoot the breeze as well as watch attorneys who hadn't seen their clients recently if at all try to connect with them. We also had time for my husband to return to the car to retrieve my social security card and run back in 95 degree heat. There were around 10 cases on the docket. A couple of cases were no-shows. We were last, but of course we didn't know that until the end!

Our trustee was very kind. He was clearly prepared and had specific questions for each case. The case that went right before us (next to last) was a disaster. I felt awful for the young, timid attorney and the client who paid her. She was so unprepared. The trustee finally gave her a list of items he needed before he could proceed and issued a continuance. My husband and I didn't know if this would be good or bad for us to follow!

When he called us forward he told us he needed to get a paper for us to sign. He dug around and pulled out he debtor's statement and then I pulled out the completed, signed form I had ready. The same thing happened with the pro se filer form. He commented on my organization. He stated he had called the county assessor' office and they had a different value than I had on our property. I had also printed the assessor's records and explained that I based our valuation on the 2015 appraisal. He said we had room in our exemption to adjust for the additional $6k the assessor's office had, so we would just do that. He also showed me where I had basically reversed the math on our statement of affairs (I really did think it seemed like I was doing that backwards when figuring the unsecured portion of equity -- turns out I should go with my gut). He told me to just correct the form and resubmit it so the records would accurately reflect the situation. Then we discussed his recent college grad daughter's new job teaching in a district that neighbors mine and that we would be teaching the same subject. Oh, and soccer, volleyball, and the benefit of Title IX sports programs at the collegiate level.

Again, I'm so thankful for your help! This forum was a big part of my being able to successfully prepare our petition and be prepared for the 341!

Congratulations on a smooth 341 Meeting. Most of the members are prepared for their 341 Meeting and whisk through, even if their attorney comes unprepared.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

I am not an attorney. Any advice provided is not legal advice.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X