Ready to start so what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to start so what next?

I'm new to the forum. I asked a few question under chap 7 and was instructed to read stickies and just do some researching and a lot of forum reading. I spent 2 whole days reading the forum. I'm ready to dig in and am wondering what my next move is? I have my pre file certificate. I'd like to get the paperwork needed to file chap 7 so I can look it over. Is there an alternative place other than the court house to get the paperwork? Specifically, can I get the copies free somewhere? I am in WA state.

There are "fillable forms" available for free on the US Courts Website here:

http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees...ptcyForms.aspx

Are you in the Eastern District or Western District of Washington? You will need to find the local rules for your district on the appropriate website as well.

Did you download or go to the library to get the NOLO Book on filing Chapter 7? Most Pro Se filers swear by this book. Here is a link to the ordering info for the book:

http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-...uptcy-HFB.html

I am sure others will chime in with advice, too.

~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

As for the Nolo book, if you are like me and dont want to buy the book. Head down to your local Library. They may have the book. Just make sure you get the current Nolo Chap 7 book (2010). It will help greatly.

Have you spoken to any Lawyers? If not. get a list of questions, and make a few free consultations. Ask your questions.
      Read read read.. But not too much.. Be wary where you get your information.. This is a life changing decision you are making.

Take your time and call the clerks in your district. They can't give legal advice, but they can help you out with some of the simple things that isn't answered anywhere.
      Next. Save 299 dollars for your filing fee. If you can't afford it, you can file a motion to pay in installments. or if you are in hardship you can have the fee waived.
      Do your pre coarse, and file.

Paper work. You can visit your districts website and download all your forms. Also contact your district. In my district, if you send them a pre paid envelope they will send you all your forms in the proper order.
      You can use software.. I used Blankrupter.. And don't fully recommend it.. Many of the exemptions were out of date, but you can manually update them. basically the only thing I used that for was the schedules. All other forms were from the districts website.

Lastly. Bookmark this site and ask for help.

Oh: If you use the fillable PDF forms. I assume you have Adobe reader. You wont' be able to save the files. However, if you download Nitro PDF (free version) you'll be able to save your files for your records.
      Last edited by buzzstpoint; 10-24-2011, 06:34 AM.
      8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
      9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
      Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

I appreciate all your help. This forum is so helpful!

Comment

The problem with going to the library is that they don't always have the very latest edition of the Nolo book. And if they do, it will likely be housed in the Reference Section and not allowed to be circulated.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Some of my advice, from what I collected here and elsewhere, from an earlier post: Click Here

Comment

PACER was a god-send for me. It's the online source for public court records and I reviewed a lot of bankruptcy cases in my district to see how their cases were filed, what was included/excluded, how forms were worded, etc. It also helped me determine a timeline for my own case. Plus, most notices are uploaded to PACER about a week before you get the notice in the mail. PACER charges 10 cents/page and its charged quarterly but I think its free if you're under $10.00. There is also a load of help online if you just Google wisely and, of course, hit up bkforum.com frequently. Good luck!

Comment

The link given to me above for printing bankruptcy paperwork. If I print the packet from there can I be sure that the packet is "complete", assuming I print all of the pages? I found a nolo book at the library and placed a hold. It is not the one mentioned above. I'm going to purchase that book hopefully next week.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTea31 View Post
                  The link given to me above for printing bankruptcy paperwork. If I print the packet from there can I be sure that the packet is "complete", assuming I print all of the pages? I found a nolo book at the library and placed a hold. It is not the one mentioned above. I'm going to purchase that book hopefully next week.
                  Make sure you get the current edition of the Nolo Ch7 book.. If you don't it can feed you old information.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzstpoint View Post
                    Make sure you get the current edition of the Nolo Ch7 book.. If you don't it can feed you old information.
                    I would suggest not even looking at the outdated book. You'll just have trouble keeping old info vs. new info straight in your mind.

Just wait until you can get the current book. And YES it's worth the money (actually worth a lot more than what they're charging for it if you use it to actually file Pro Se because you won't be paying an attorney). I filed Pro Se and I can tell if I had not had this web site AND the Nolo book BOTH I would never have had the confidence to file. Now the deadline for creditors to file an objection is the day after tomorrow.
                    Don
                    Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                    Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

No, you can't be sure. Definitely, don't use the forms in the NoLo book. Make sure you get the forms from the US Courts website. Additionally, you will want to go directly to your "local" District's website! You will want to find out what forms they require. Remember, there may be "local" forms as well. The standard ones are clearly listed on the website, but sometimes that is wrong.

Simply contact the Clerk's office to know for sure! This is also why I highly recommend filing in person!
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If I print forms from the US District's site I'll be safe as far as legit paperwork?

Edited to ask,
                        Is it better to fill the documents out online and then print them?

Comment

If I print forms from the US District's site I'll be safe as far as legit paperwork?
                          Yes.

Is it better to fill the documents out online and then print them?
                          Yes. However, you can download them to your computer first (highly suggested). I would organize them as well. Remember, the majority of these forms won't save your data "input". You will need to re-enter data if you need a correction. Some of the forms are tough when it comes to font sizes and the amount of space available. Several BKforum members have used varying techniques to get around it, including, but not limited to, using a PDF editor.

For example, most PDF editors, including Adobe's, can be used in a trial mode for 14-30 days.
                          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If you download the Fill-in PDF forms. Also download Nitro PDF (it's free). Use that instead of adobe.. You will be able save the form.

Once you download your US forms, Look on the your districts website for any Local forms you need.
                            Next, you can call your local BK office and see talk with them about the forms you will need to submit. Also ask them the proper order of the forms. They will either send you to a link in your districts website that lists the order or they will tell you.. When you can,, use the local forms if they have them.

Ask them any questions you have. Except any legal questions or how to fill the form(s) out.

It is (or will be) suggested that you drive your papers and submit them in person.. I didn't want to at 1st, but decided to drive the 200 miles and file.. Glad I did too. I was able have the clerk check my paperwork and certify my copy..

Comment

Originally posted by buzzstpoint View Post
                              It is (or will be) suggested that you drive your papers and submit them in person.. I didn't want to at 1st, but decided to drive the 200 miles and file.. Glad I did too. I was able have the clerk check my paperwork and certify my copy..
                              Same here. The drive was worth me not being up for a week wondering if I handed in all the appropriate papers/if they were filled out correctly/if they were in the correct order/if they received them.

All good advice. Definately check on your local forms. My local had a form on income or most specifically wage statement that I needed to file. Also you need to check in what format your local bankruptcy court wants your list of creditors. Some want them typed/Some want them in digital format.

Nolo book IMO is the only way to do it. You could do it without it I suppose. But it would be much harder and take much longer. I downloaded all the forms online and saved them. Then read the book and filled out/printed forms as I went through the book.

Also might help to make a list of everything you need to ask the bankruptcy office when you call. I did.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X