No announcement yet.

Ready to start so what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping to buy the book next week. I'm going to start gathering creditor information, pay stubs, tax returns this week.

What happens if you file but forget a form? Do they allow you to turn the form in or is it all over? What kind of mistakes can occur from filing pro se? I don't see a problem with me doing the paperwork myself. I've done other complicated paperwork and did just fine. Bit I'm just wondering what can happen.
    Last edited by TomTea31; 11-01-2011, 11:43 PM.

Comment

The big issue with filling out forms is spelling and or number mistakes.
      Most of the the it's a non issue. However if you need to correct some paper work you will need to file an amended form.
      After you've triple checked your paperwork. File.. Then wait a week and check your paper work again, If there's something that you need to admend go ahead and do that. If there's a form you have omitted and need to include. You can mail that in.

Amended paper work is a charge of 26 dollars (At least it is in my district) so do your amending all in one shot. If you need to submit more paper work, there should be no charge. Unless your 341 is past.
      8-25-2011 - Free Consultations. -- 9-03-2011 - Decided to file Pro Se
      9-15-2011 - Filed Chapter 7 Pro Se -- 10-17-2011 - 341 Meeting/No Asset Case
      Discharged 12-21-2011 - Case Closed 12-27-2011 - Another Pro Se'r has done it!!

Comment

Yep. Most of the time it can be fixed if you fill a paper out wrong, or forget a paper. But it just complicates things. Holds up your case. Etc. Most people who file I think want to get it over as soon as possible so they can have a new start. Though I have heard of some people forgetting a paper(not sure which ones) and getting a dismissal notice prior to their 341. So I think it's a CYA(Cover your butt) situation.

Also I printed two copys of everything. One to file, and one for me to keep if they should lose a paper, etc. You don't have to but it was my preference as I'm a better safe than sorry person.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTea31 View Post
          I'm hoping to buy the book next week. I'm going to start gathering creditor information, pay stubs, tax returns this week.
          Search the Web for a Nolo coupon code. I don't know if the discount is still available, but you used to be able to get $10 off of purchases at the Nolo website.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I will echo the "go to the local court website" advice, as mine had a lovely list of all the forms required, what order they wanted them in, etc. There were also little rules, such as "flat filing", that did not show up anywhere but a rather detailed reading of the local rules, so you had best find those and start reading, if you know you are filing. Good luck..

John
            Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

I found a used copy on ebay for $14 shipped! It should be here any day. I also placed a hold on a nolo book labeled something like bankruptcy for dummies. Hoping the 2 books will be enough to get me started.

How would I find my local court website? Would that be the general courthouse website?

Comment

Originally posted by TomTea31 View Post
                How would I find my local court website? Would that be the general courthouse website?
                Google "Washington Bankruptcy Court" and find your district.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Just wanted to update here. I received the nolo book. I bought it on ebay. I've been reading it and the bankruptcy does not seem that difficult. I've been through worse. I handled my husband complex immigration case without a lawyer. I feel like if I can tackle immigration then I can tackle anything. I don't understand some of the forum posts about the book being too difficult to use/read. It's pretty straight forward. I do have some questions about the schedules but I'm going to make a new post for that

Comment

Is it straightforward if you stand logic on its head, spin it around until it gets really dizzy, then send it on a footrace.

Lots of trapdoors and land mines, almost all of them in the preparation. Always look at it from the Trustee's point of view - "Does this smell right?" - and you will be on the right track.

We will be here to help.

Comment

Thanks

Ok so I'm am so confused now. I searched "Washington District Court" like someone suggested. I got hits for Western and Eastern court websites. Neither look like my jurisdiction. Maps on both websites don't include my area unless I'm blind and missed it. I'm in Vancouver, WA (Clark County). Am I missing something here?

Comment

Vancouver is Western District.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't think about looking under the Trustee info. There's a trustee for Vancouver, so obviously I'm in Western District. And I live in Western Washington. Yup getting off to a good start

Comment

I think it takes an extremly complex and difficult subject and makes it about as easy for a lay person to understand as is possible. If someone feels that the book is hard to understand/follow then I would strenuously suggest that person should NOT file ProSe.
                            Don
                            Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                            Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

Howdy neighbor!

~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by doni49 View Post
                                I think it takes an extremly complex and difficult subject and makes it about as easy for a lay person to understand as is possible. If someone feels that the book is hard to understand/follow then I would strenuously suggest that person should NOT file ProSe.
                                I agree with you on that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X