top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Meeting of Creditors Tomorrow Afternoon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a creditor hounding me tonight that apparently I omitted on my creditor list. I signed up for Pacer so I could see if I could find a letter to prove to the creditor I did file for bankruptcy.

Come to find out - my meeting of the Creditors is tomorrow afternoon! I had no idea.

I previously filed a bankruptcy over 6 months ago which was dismissed over a deficiency and this meeting of the creditors was scheduled within 30 days of my new filing.

What can I do? I am in no way prepared to go to the meeting tomorrow.

Better yet, I just tore the house apart and can't locate my social security card. I hardly think the Trustee will be amused.

Please don't jump my case, I had no idea this is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and have no idea what to do. I cannot have the case and automatic stay dismissed.

Is there something I can do?

I have a creditor hounding me tonight that apparently I omitted on my creditor list. I signed up for Pacer so I could see if I could find a letter to prove to the creditor I did file for bankruptcy.

Come to find out - my meeting of the Creditors is tomorrow afternoon! I had no idea.

I previously filed a bankruptcy over 6 months ago which was dismissed over a deficiency and this meeting of the creditors was scheduled within 30 days of my new filing.

Better yet, I just tore the house apart and can't locate my social security card. I hardly think the Trustee will be amused.

Please don't jump my case, I had no idea this is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and have no idea what to do. I cannot have the case and automatic stay dismissed.

Comment

Originally posted by wirelessdog View Post

Please post only in one forum. You will be seen and you confuse the advice. Thanks. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I'm sorry. I first posted in the BK forum and then realized there was a separate pro se forum.

Comment

You need to go to the 341 even if you don't find your SS card. If you don't find it and there is a social security office near enough, go there as soon as they open in the morning and apply for a replacement. They will give you a confirmation that you applied for the replacement that you can show the trustee. I think that will solve the problem. If going to an SS office isn't an option, do you have a W-2, 1099 or some other documents prepared by a 3rd party that contains your SSN? If so, take whatever you have with you. If you don't have anything to show the trustee, go anyway and don't forget your photo ID. Hopefully, the trustee will continue the 341 to give you time to get a replacement SS card.

I combined the 2 threads.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

ok, so not going is an absolutely bad idea?

Do I need to bring anything else besides the missing SSN or confirmation and two years of tax returns?

Comment

In other words, could I show up at the court first thing in the morning and file a request for a continuance prior to the 343 meeting? The 343 meeting is not scheduled until 3:30pm

Comment

Not going is not an option. Your case would get dismissed and you don't want that to happen a second time. You would have to have a really good, verifiable reason to continue a 341. Rather than trying to get a continuance, your time is better spent trying to find your social security card or applying for a new one. Here is the information on how to apply for a replacement card, including a downloadable application: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Check anything you have received from the court or trustee telling you what to bring to the 341. If there is nothing, check your local court's website and your trustee's website, if any. If you can't find the info anywhere, bring copies of your last two tax returns and your most recent pay stub if you are employed. In fact, bring your paystubs for the 6 months before you filed. Bring your last few checking and savings account statements too, especially the ones for the month in which you filed. You probably will not need all of these things. But, it's better to bring things you don't need than not have what you need. Don't offer any documents to the trustee that he/she doesn't request. Also, only answer the questions asked and don't offer extraneous information.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

We weren't asked for any type of ID, not drivers license nor SS card. We just went up with our attorney when they called our name and was asked if everything was still correct and that was it. Literally less than 1 minute.

Comment

Originally posted by 8forme View Post
                    We weren't asked for any type of ID, not drivers license nor SS card. We just went up with our attorney when they called our name and was asked if everything was still correct and that was it. Literally less than 1 minute.
                    For our OP, not directed to quote above.

If true, don't count on it happening again. There are several things they ALWAYS ask. What is your name and address (for the record) then ask to SEE the SS card and picture ID, then did you sign and understand your paperwork and has anything changed since you filed it. 99 44/100th of the time.

I'm not sure of your situation, but if you are going pro se, you don't have a sharp lawyer. Best to get the Nolo C7 book and read it cover to cover. It isn't expensive but you need to put more thought and action towards your own new start. The secret of a 341 is no secret. Dress nicely but modestly, have essential items with, look confident, and be HONEST with all questions asked. Takes about 5 minutes if you do it right.

Read all the stickies on pro se and C7. You miss the meeting you will miss your chance. Cold fact. 'Hub
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Some folks are not prepared for pro se filings.

First off, you were notified of the meeting of the creditors. The court sent you the same document they sent your creditors. The only difference was your form had your full SSN on it while the creditors only saw the last four digits of your SSN.

All you need to provide the creditor calling you is your case number and they will leave you alone.

Have you completed your pre-filing and post-filing educational courses?
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

it may not be too late to find a qualified atty to help you through the rest of this. it may be worth the cost in the long run.
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                          Some folks are not prepared for pro se filings.

First off, you were notified of the meeting of the creditors. The court sent you the same document they sent your creditors. The only difference was your form had your full SSN on it while the creditors only saw the last four digits of your SSN.

All you need to provide the creditor calling you is your case number and they will leave you alone.

Have you completed your pre-filing and post-filing educational courses?
                          Actually I'm all but 100% certain that once you file and get dismissed, future filings lose the benefit of the automatic stay. I think that means they can continue collections attempts right up until the discharge order is issued (if it is issued that is).
                          Don
                          Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                          Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

Originally posted by doni49 View Post
                            Actually I'm all but 100% certain that once you file and get dismissed, future filings lose the benefit of the automatic stay. I think that means they can continue collections attempts right up until the discharge order is issued (if it is issued that is).
                            however,h as ohio as pointed out; truly some people are just not prepared to file pro se. i earnestly believe that's ohio's point here, mine also.
                            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                              however,h as ohio as pointed out; truly some people are just not prepared to file pro se. i earnestly believe that's ohio's point here, mine also.
                              I agree 100%. I was referring to the statement about providing the case number and the creditor will leave him alone. With the stay not there, they may not and don't HAVE to.
                              Don
                              Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                              Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X