Going from Unemployed to Employed after filing Pro-Se but before 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from Unemployed to Employed after filing Pro-Se but before 341

I have been very fortunate to have finally landed a job after 3 years of unemployment! I filed my Chapter 7 case at the end of last month and started my first day of work this past Monday.

What do I need to do in order to update my case? Is it simply notify the trustee or do I need to refile any paperwork to reflect my new income. I still pass (fail?) the means test so I believe I am still eligible for Ch7.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations!!! On behalf of the rest of us unemployed, I am so happy for you! Gives me hope.
    I'll leave the advice on your 7 to the experts.

Comment

Congratulations!

Your petition is a snapshot of your financial condition at the time you filed. As long as the job offfer came after the BK filing, there is nothing to amend. My understanding is that you have no obligation to report the job to the trustee. Answer the trustee's questions at the 341 truthfully, but don't volunteer any information you aren't asked. The trustee may ask whether anything has changed, in which case you should tell him that you were offerred a job after you filed BK and you accepted it. It shouldn't be relevant to your case at all, but the trustee may want to pry. Let him pry, but if he tries to claim you aren't eligible for discharge because of the new job, it may be time to fight. Many people who got jobs between filing and their 341 have reported the trustee congratulating them on the new job when it came up at the 341 and never raising an issue.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Congratulations from me as well.

With that said, I don't know how to advise you. We were a Ch7 Asset case, and we were asked at our 341 if anything had changed since we filed. It hadn't. Normally, I would tell you to consult your attorney, but since you filed pro se, you don't have that option. I will ask a couple of members I know to look at your situation.
        Last edited by AngelinaCat; 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM.
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I agree with LadyInTheRed.

Your new job has no impact on your Chapter 7. Don't worry about it. . . and congradulations - life is good.

Des.

Comment

Thank you all very much for the congrats and the advice. I have very few assets and a very straight forward case. Of course, I would always answer the trustee truthfully so it sounds like I am good to go.

Again, thank you all very much.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X