Priority Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Priority Claims

Filling out forms: priority is non-dischargeable? Is that right?

Other than federal student loans, pretty sure I don't have anything else that might qualify.

All else is consumer debt on non-priority claims: that's credit cards, medical bills, etc. Right?

Thanks.

Anything that is non-dischargeble, like IRS, is priority. But secured loans, such as for a car, home, motor-home, boat, etc. comes next in the list. The unsecured debt, like credit cards, are the bottom feeders.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks for answering. I have private student loans too.

Comment

Priority debts may be dischargeable (I'm not even certain that's the case), but not all dischargeable debts are priority.

You are filing Pro Se. You need to read the law: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/11/507
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          The unsecured debt, like credit cards, are the bottom feeders.
          Unsecured = Bottom Feeders? On this, we shall choose to disagree. There can be many unsecured debts that are not bottom feeders, ie - medical, local venders, etc.

However, we shall agree that credit cards are bottom feeders!
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
            Unsecured = Bottom Feeders? On this, we shall choose to disagree. There can be many unsecured debts that are not bottom feeders, ie - medical, local venders, etc.

However, we shall agree that credit cards are bottom feeders!
            I was trying to say that the CCs are the bottom feeders. I was having with the keyboard on my laptop.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I was trying to say that the CCs are the bottom feeders. I was having with the keyboard on my laptop.
              It looks like you are still having whatever you were having with your keyboard.
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

It's all good.
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Okay, a little freshman logic.

Generally, all priority claims are non-dischargeable, but not all non-dischargeable debts are priority.

Case in point, student loans (private or federal)...non-dischargeable...but NOT priority. Student loans get listed along with your other unsecured debts, (e.g. credit cards etc).

The list of priority debts is rather small and spelled in BK code section 507. The list of non-dischargeable debts is longer and spelled in BK Code Section 523.
                  Last edited by HHM; 09-18-2012, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                    ...The list of priority debts is rather small and spelled in BK code section 507. The list of non-dischargeable debts is longer.
                    Thank you for that.

Comment

Don't you just love BKForum and the suggestions/help provided to Pro Se filers? I mean, you had a Cat Lady, a Lady in Red, a Frog, and an adult beverage (HHM) all give you great information!

Thank you fellow mods for picking up my slack!
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X