Need advice for Schedule J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice for Schedule J

Starting this thread per the advice of Valleyum. These are my current expenses. My combined average monthly income from schedule I is $1309, so now I'm worried the trustee could dismiss my case even though I pass the means test. Advice?

Rent - $400
    Utilities - $110
    Food - $200
    Clothing - $35
    Laundry - $10
    Transportation - $120
    Auto Insurance - $88
    Other (Gym) - $43

Total = $1006

Combined Average Monthly Income from Schedule I = $1309

Those numbers look awfully low. You spend only $10/month on laundry? That reads like a weekly amount, for sure! Also, is that $1,309 combined income less taxes? Do you receive a tax refund each year?

Do not be conservative with your numbers. You should list what you would expect to be paying, not what you are trying to live on.
    • Where is the amount for your personal care items (shampoo, soap, other hygiene items)? (means test gives $34/month for one person)
    • Your food should probably be around $300/month for one person. (means test gives $315/month for one person)
    • Where is the amount for your household items (dish detergent, cleaning materials, towels, etc)? (means test gives $30/month for one person)
    • Do you have life insurance?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Transportation, is that for gas, tolls? Does it include car maintenance, repair?

Comment

Yes, I was going to ask, I mean I have 300 left over, but I often have to get my car repaired. How exactly should I calculate the cost for monthly car repairs, just guess it? Or I guess I should take the total of all repairs so far this year and divide it by 8 months?

And also is $200 really low for food? Everyone keeps telling me that is really high. I should recalculate that to include other food besides non-groceries. I order lunch everyday I'm at work.

Comment

I added all car repairs for the previous 12 months and divided by 12. I did have receipts for everything, and it was a lot of money for 1 yr. car repairs. (I should mention, I also had an attorney, I wasn't pro se.)

Write down absolutely everything you can think of that you've spent on anything in the last 12 months. When you really think hard on this, you probably have more expenses than you realize. It wasn't too difficult for me, because I had used my debt card for nearly everything, so I went through a year's worth of bank statements. You can then group it into things like personal care, car maintenance, health care, pet care, etc. You can then post it here for further advice.

Comment

Originally posted by bagel View Post
            And also is $200 really low for food? Everyone keeps telling me that is really high. I should recalculate that to include other food besides non-groceries. I order lunch everyday I'm at work.
            Who's everybody? Yes, that is low. It should include you work lunches too, but it's best not to go above the means test allowance.

Don't forget vehicle registration.

What about medical expenses? National standards are $60 a month for out-of-pocket expenses.

How are you able to have such low rent? Can you count on that continuing? Schedule J should be forward looking.

Look at all expenses you have over the year and divide by twelve to come up with the monthly average.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Do you pay rent to your parents by chance? If so, can you prove you pay this with rent receipts, bank statements for the past year or so? Trustee may ask for proof.

This isnt meant to sound bad or mean, and I know you said you want to file Pro Se and have the NOLO book, however with all the questions you've been posting asking for assistance with the forms, it really sounds like you should be hiring an attorney to help you. I'm sure an attorney will work with you regarding payments, and you'll probably be better off, especially if you have to file answers to the court should the Trustee want them.

Just a friendly suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                  This isnt meant to sound bad or mean, and I know you said you want to file Pro Se and have the NOLO book, however with all the questions you've been posting asking for assistance with the forms, it really sounds like you should be hiring an attorney to help you. I'm sure an attorney will work with you regarding payments, and you'll probably be better off, especially if you have to file answers to the court should the Trustee want them.

Just a friendly suggestion
                  I agree, and have been avoiding saying anything as I already raised concerns based on the nature of Bagel's questions before starting to fill out forms. Bagel, the more of your questions I read, the more I think you need an attorney. When you file Pro Se you are acting as your own attorney and you need to start thinking like an attorney. You don't appear to be doing that. You said you can't afford an attorney. If that is really true, then you must not have anything for creditors to take and you are probably better off waiting until you have more of a cushion in your budget to file.

At the very least, you should put the forms aside for a while and do a lot more research about bankruptcy. The Nolo Book is an excellent resource. But, you shouldn't be relying on it exclusively.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I'd like to keep this on topic, however I should once again note that I've already made the decision to file pro se. So I'm not sure how productive it is to keep restating your opinion that I hire an attorney in multiple threads. I understand that is your honest opinion and that you are trying to help, however one post stating your opinion is probably enough.

Comment

I believe that some want more details on your actual expenses, and how you can document those expenses, or hire an attorney who can lead you down the right path.

Despite any misgivings about your preparedness, many people do file pro se and are highly successful (shameless plug). Those people are well prepared and I see that you are trying to get there, but I did not see any additional information which was requested by myself and several others.

In the end, EVERYONE that responded wants you to be successful and not one of the people who post just after their 341 Meeting with a thread titled "OMG, I messed up! Trustee wants my (house, car, money, etc.)".
                      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X