top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think you will lose your job because of the economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for my county government. I'm doing quite well after accepting the promotion that was offered when my position was eliminated earlier this year, but today was the last day of work for many who have been bumped off their jobs, reassigned, or laid off. Some who have been around for 30+ years but are still young, have been forced to retire earlier than they planned. So today was sad in many ways. The worst part is that this doesn't seem to be the end of it...

I attended my director's quarterly management meeting and confirmed that things in our department are about as dire as our national economy. Transit routes may be cut in a few months due to budget constraints, which means bus operator jobs will be lost too. The worst isn't over, I'm afraid.
    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
      I quit my job four weeks ago to run my business, which is doing very well.

I definitely would not have been able to do this if I had not filed and learned from my mistakes. I can easily meet expenses, have no debt, and am so happy I can hardly stand it.

I do think I would have been secure in my job as far as being one of the last to be laid off, however I would not be surprised if the whole department gets outsourced to a third party vendor. It involved field work, so couldn't be outsourced out of the country, or even out of state, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't vendors bidding to undercut as we speak.

So glad to be out.

ep
      Well done, I am glad you are out too! Good wishes to the biz!
      Filed C7 Aug 31 2008
      341 Oct 8 2008
      Discharged Dec 9 2008

Comment

My husband lost his job last spring because of the economy. I, however, will not. I am a paralegal, when the economy gets bad, we get busy. A couple years ago, our primary case load was estate planning and divorce, with a small percentage of bankruptcies and some misc. business, adoption, etc. In the past year, estate planning has dwindled to a few here and there to 90% of our client files being BK and divorce. We are even seeing some of our estate planning clients from previous years coming back in to see us about a BK. It is really quite depressing. Good thing I love my job. It feels good to help people get out from under the mess they are in and start fresh.

Comment

I work for a pool and spa company. We're definately down this year by quite a bit. Most of the reason is people are unable to get loans...even the people who have the cash in the bank, but want the loan for tax reasons. Swimming pools and hot tubs are luxury items. Lots of pool/spa company are closing their doors according to our distributors. We're going to start gearing more towards service and repair instead of installation. We survived this season, we'll see what happens next season.
          May 5, 2008 - Filed Ch7
          June 13, 2008 - 341 Meeting
          August 12, 2008 - Last day for objections... August 18, 2008 - Discharged!
          August 26, 2008 - CASE CLOSED!

Comment

I am in real estate and have been for 30 years. Usually (the last 29 yrs) it was a good business to be in - ups and downs are normal in our field. Usually we just work through the ups and downs - save during the ups for the down periods. However, this time the down period has lasted a lot longer and has gone much deeper than I had planned for - also it came on the heals of a serious personal illness. So I find myself here now, the BK Forum. I am still working, and actually trying out a zero budget (because that is what I have - zero ) So, did I lose my job - no. But I am having to make substantial adjustments to the new economy.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

i work in the student loan industry...so unless gov't gives us some more funding to give out more loans then i might be in trouble
              retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
              10/30/10- WEDDING!!
              09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

I run 2 small businesses. The first is a lawn maintenance which did pretty good this year (lost my job of 3 years and got back into lawn care). I have a good client base, but I am concerned about next spring with all the layoffs ahead...
                My other business is chimney cleaning and repairs for people with wood burning applications. That has been doing pretty good as people are burning more with the cost of fuel oil and propane. For once things seem to be going my way and I am helping out lots of people to save on there heating costs and keep them safe!
                My wife is a nurse and has seniority so that seems secure. However, they are calling people off occassionally lately.
                I think we will do fine, just planning for the worst.
                Filed Aug. 5, 2008
                341 Meeting Sept. 17th, 2008
                Discharged 11/18/2008
                Case Closed 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Tbornetun View Post
                  My husband lost his job last spring because of the economy. I, however, will not. I am a paralegal, when the economy gets bad, we get busy. A couple years ago, our primary case load was estate planning and divorce, with a small percentage of bankruptcies and some misc. business, adoption, etc. In the past year, estate planning has dwindled to a few here and there to 90% of our client files being BK and divorce. We are even seeing some of our estate planning clients from previous years coming back in to see us about a BK. It is really quite depressing. Good thing I love my job. It feels good to help people get out from under the mess they are in and start fresh.
                  I too am a paralegal but not in the BK sector. I work mostly with corporate and business matters/law and I have been extremely busy, way moreso than usual. The other booming areas in this economy are the repo businesses and those hired by the banks to clean foreclosed houses. The ads have been numerous for those jobs in our area papers. It's just situational/economy related...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                    I too am a paralegal but not in the BK sector. I work mostly with corporate and business matters/law and I have been extremely busy, way moreso than usual. The other booming areas in this economy are the repo businesses and those hired by the banks to clean foreclosed houses. The ads have been numerous for those jobs in our area papers. It's just situational/economy related...
                    I tend to think that either way, when the economy takes a crap, we become busy no matter which area of law we work in. Divorce, bankruptcy, lawsuits, etc. all due to the economy I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BROKENN View Post
                      Well done, I am glad you are out too! Good wishes to the biz!
                      Thank you so much Brokenn! I really appreciate that and wish nothing but the best for all the people of this forum.

ep
                      California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

hello friends

hello friends, this is miajade, i am new here.

Comment

I hope hubby doesn't. He already went a year without a job becuase of this stupid Army school he had to go to and no one would hire him because of it. Then being injured while there and being sent home to heal and go back... all while not being paid for that... really screwed us up. He has a job now that should be good but I'm really not sure. It's scary.

Comment

Originally posted by estreeter34 View Post
                            My wife is a nurse and has seniority so that seems secure. However, they are calling people off occassionally lately.
                            Occasionally? Try I am home for my second day in a row. My hospital was recently bought by a big corporation that is really into profit.

But I feel like my job is secure as long as we have a cardiac surgeon. I work in the cardiovascular OR. Right now, I am the only person they have that can do both the RN job and the scrubtech/lpn job. And I am the charge nurse. So the only way they get rid of me is if I do something stupid to endanger the patient, violate HIPPA, or maybe start doing fentanyl on the side.
                            And even if they do away with the cardiac surgery program, I have 12 1/2 yrs of senority in the OR dept in general.
                            Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
                            Plan approved- 7/11/05
                            Date discharged--10-12-2007
                            Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

I'm like woeisme. Tenured at a small college. I had a chance last year to take another position elsewhere and I'm glad I didn't. Administration here is pretty good about finances. (Maybe that's why I'm not in administration
                              )
                              On the other hand, if I was still employed in my old job (gypo logging company) I would have already lost my job a few years ago and the new economic issues would not make it likely there would be work anytime soon.

Comment

Just learned that due to economy/budget issues, my job might go to part-time next summer..."might" is a very strong adj. today... it "might" just be a heads up?
                                Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                                Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X