Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AmEx paying some card holders to close their accounts

February 24, 2009

American Express, battered by mounting credit card losses, is offering $300 to a limited number of U.S. card holders who will pay off their balances and close their accounts, the company said Monday.
    "We sent the offer out to a select number of card members," said Molly Faust, a company spokerwoman. "We are looking at different ways that we can manage credit risk based on the costume's overall credit profile."

The company did not say how many card holders would receive the offer and did not disclose the total of their card balances.

Card holders have until the end of February to accept the offer and must close their accounts in March or April. Each card holder will receive a $300 pre-paid American Express card.

American Express, often seen as catering to relatively wealthy customers and companies, has been expanding its credit card business in recent years by reaching out to a wider range of clients.

But that strategy has backfired. The company's earnings tumbled in the fourth quarter as credit losses jumped and debt-burdened consumers slashed spending.

In addition, American Express reported last week that credit card delinquencies rose in January more than analysts expected, as U.S. unemployment increased and the global economy deteriorated.

Like its credit card rivals such as Discover Financial Services, Capital One Financial, JPMorgan Chase and Citigroup, American Express is selectively scaling back the credit lines of some U.S. customers and reducing efforts to gain new customers domestically.

The firm is cutting expenses, aiming to save $1.8 billion in 2009.

Source:
    CBC News
    Last edited by Flamingo; 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM. Reason: To confirm with forum posting rules

Very interesting. It sounds like they are targeting those they suspect may default soon, probably based on the customers' recent charging/spending/paying pattern. CC companies can close your account at any time, but I believe they must give the customer a reason? Not sure.

It would also be interesting to know what they would say on the credit reports of those who accepted the offer?

Just curious. I BK'ed AmEx 5 years ago.
    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

The scary part of this is if other credit cards do the same, it maybe impossible for some to get a credit card in the future.
      Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

I just got a letter from Amex that they want to settle my cc for a substantially lower amount we already have our paperwork for a 13 so we won't do it but I couldn't believe it!

Comment

Got letter from AMEX: Pls leave home without us.

Comment

They cancelled my card without warning as well. Good riddance.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X