Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Trustee objects to Charter bankruptcy plan

June 15, 2009

The U.S. Trustee, which oversees bankruptcy cases in New York, has filed an objection to Charter Communications Inc's (CHTRQ.PK) "prepackaged" reorganization plan, saying it improperly releases the company's officers, including Paul Allen, from being sued over the company's collapse.

Diana Adams, U.S. Trustee for the New York region, said in court papers filed June 12 that the cable operator's reorganization plan should not be approved with legal releases that prevent its shareholders from being able to sue the company's directors, advisors, attorneys, employees and others for potential violations of federal and state securities laws that may have caused their losses.

The U.S. Trustee asked U.S. Bankruptcy Judge James Peck to deny approval of the legal releases at a court hearing on the plan in July, unless there is a finding that "truly unusual circumstances render the release terms important to the success of the plan." Adams said in the papers that, at a minimum, the legal releases should not apply to stockholders.

Charter, controlled by Microsoft Corp co-founder Allen, filed for bankruptcy protection in March under the weight of $21.7 billion in debt. It is seeking approval of a "prepackaged" reorganization plan which will reduce its debt load. Under the plan, Allen will receive up to 7 percent of the reorganized company's equity and keep the largest voting interest in the company at 35 percent.

A group of Charter stockholders, who are expected to be wiped out under its bankruptcy plan, are seeking approval of a committee to represent their interests in the case at a court hearing later this week.

A lawyer for Charter was not immediately available to comment on the Trustee's objection.

The case is In re: Charter Communications, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, No. 09-11435.

Source:
    Reuters.com
    (Reporting by Emily Chasan; Editing by Richard Chang)
    Last edited by Flamingo; 06-17-2009, 02:28 AM. Reason: To conform with forum posting rules - OP PLEASE NOTE FORMAT!
    Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

Now how can Mr. Allen who owns the Seahawks and Blazers be bankrupt?
    Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

Comment

Originally posted by car67 View Post

Hey it's tough out there.
      The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by car67 View Post
        Yeah, he's Bankruptcy alright... that's why he probably hopped on his 430ft yacht and cruised down to Miami for the weekend.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Its good to see UST looking at these prepackaged bankruptcies, shame they didn't take a closer look at Chrysler's deal....
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
            Its good to see UST looking at these prepackaged bankruptcies, shame they didn't take a closer look at Chrysler's deal....
            Ummm... the Executive Branch asked them not to. The Executive Branch even overstepped some other boundaries too.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

And they should have ignored the Executive Branch and done their jobs. Though since Obama's already removed an Inspector General for doing his job its clear how this administration will be, folks thought Bush/Cheney was buddy buddy and corrupt they ain't got nothing on Obama and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                I was wondering if anyone here noticed how the governments involvement is breaking the law.

Obama put the unsecureds (unions, it figures) ahead of the secured creditors.

I thought the supreme court would get more involved but I guess not.

Everything happening today even in bankruptcy is making me think more like the "so called kooks" that keep saying the world is coming to an end. This dictator just makes up the law as he goes along and no one can stop him.

Give it a few months and you will see another DOW 6000 or lower just because of this stuff.
                The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                  I thought the supreme court would get more involved but I guess not.
                  SCOTUS (The Supremes) were instructed by the Executive Branch to stay out of it.

Comment

Well now that the secured creditors have been harmed they should refile their lawsuits and force the Supreme Court to rehear the case. I was disappointed in the Supreme Court not realizing how this destabilizes the bankruptcy process by setting a precedent that should not be.

I don't really think any of them actually read the arguments or understood the change, I believe Obama pressed on Ginsberg to remove her order and she obliged, but she shouldn't have.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X