X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air America Goes off the Air

January 21, 2010

Air America Radio is shutting down its operations after company files for bankruptcy.

Air America Radio, a progressive radio network that once aired commentary from Al Franken and Rachel Maddow, said Thursday it is shutting down immediately.

The company founded in April 2004 said it ceased airing new programs Thursday afternoon and will soon file to be liquidated under Chapter 7 bankruptcy. It began broadcasting reruns of programs and would end those as well Monday night.

Air America said 10 consecutive quarters of declining ad revenue and the difficulty of making money on the Internet contributed to its financial woes.

"The very difficult economic environment has had a significant impact on Air America's business. This past year has seen a `perfect storm' in the media industry generally," the company said in a statement on its Web site.

The network had some 100 radio outlets nationwide.

Franken, a Democrat, hosted his own show from 2004 to 2007 before going on to become a U.S. senator from Minnesota last year after a close election. Maddow went on to host her own TV show on MSNBC.

Source: AP
    Link: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...est=latestnews
    Last edited by Flamingo; 01-22-2010, 03:16 AM. Reason: To conform with forum posting rules - OP PLEASE NOTE
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

I hate that. It's always good to have two sides to any story available....Rush has a monopoly on the right. Now nothing for the left. Oh well.

Comment

It appears that their business model was not too good. Not much different than the business model that we have in DC today.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

If Air America is responsible for bringing us Al Franken, I'm glad they're gone.
        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Originally posted by buttercup View Post
          I hate that. It's always good to have two sides to any story available....Rush has a monopoly on the right. Now nothing for the left. Oh well.
          But if there are no listeners, is there really two sides

Comment

Nothing for the left? Well, the left has NPR, NBC, PBS, CBS,CNN, Oprah, etal. To claim the right dominates the airwaves is silly.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I think she is refering to TALK/SPIN radio... Where I live I get 5 talk stations and all they do is rant about the left. When Bush was in everything was perfect, even when the economy started crashing down. I my self hate to see one side losing their ranting rights.. but maybe the right listens to that sort of stuff more then the left does. I prefer to listen to the real news. I do not consider the NEWS on NPR as left. While the programing could be, the news/opinon program has two people get on and talk back and forth, and then the host simply thanks them. The host does not take sides, nor rant about anything ... the guests simply talk.. which seems more fair to me.

Comment

AAR really got liberal radio jump started. It's still going pretty strong in most big cities. If you don't live in a big city, then you never hear the liberal side. AAR was terribly managed, though, and they've been in decline for years.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                  Nothing for the left? Well, the left has NPR, NBC, PBS, CBS,CNN, Oprah, etal. To claim the right dominates the airwaves is silly.
                  LOL. Yes.

Look as in MA, the people voted. One with their right to do so, and the other with their pocket books by not using the advertised products. What is wrong with this? If Rush is so popular, perhaps he has a following? If this company was so good, it would not be out of business. Just as in the "Tonight Show" J. Leno won over Connan O'Brian.

SO far, we still have freedom of choice. The "Progressives" wish to take this choice away with laws like "The Fairness Doctrine", another way to say, we will advise you peon's what to listen to.

Not much difference in what the CC companies told most of us. Ju vill pay us und ju vill like it. Heil!
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Rush is not always right as most of us know, but he knows how to sell his product.

Air America does not know how to sell, hence they're bankrupt!

This goes to show that most Americans are center to right and there are a few extreme left wing folks that make a lot of noise, but still in the minority.

If Ted Kennedy's seat can go to a republican that speaks for itself. Sadly nothing will change until we get a third party, but at least the people are waking up.

I guess a 7 year war and a 2 year old recession, soon to be a depression will "awaken the sleeping giant".
                    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Hence why Air America failed.

Fox News stellar ratings has little to do with content so much as the fact they remain pretty much the only conservative news source. Whereas the liberals split their viewership over the remaining channels.....

It was a bad business model, you can't enter a saturated market with a product that can be gotten from so many sources.
                      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                        Hence why Air America failed.

Fox News stellar ratings has little to do with content so much as the fact they remain pretty much the only conservative news source. Whereas the liberals split their viewership over the remaining channels.....

It was a bad business model, you can't enter a saturated market with a product that can be gotten from so many sources.
                        FOX News wins with content and hot babes.

Liberals don't split their viewership. All good libs watch Olbermann and Maddow. It's the law.
                        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

The same old tired argument from the right. It's usually followed by someone trying to convince me that Fox News is fair and balanced.

Fox News - Hannity, O'Reilly, Palin, Huckabee
                          MSNBC - Olberman, Schultz, Maddow

Air America had nothing to listen to. I thought Rush was bad, but that Randi Rhodes was right there with him.
                          Last edited by LimpDisc; 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM.
                          Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                          "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Originally posted by LimpDisc View Post
                            The same old tired argument from the right. It's usually followed by someone trying to convince me that Fox News is fair and balanced.

Fox News - Hannity, O'Reilly, Palin, Huckabee
                            MSNBC - Olberman, Schultz, Maddow

Air America had nothing to listen to. I thought Rush was bad, but that Randi Rhodes was right there with him.
                            Why don't you use facts to dispute my argument? I didn't follow it with any claim about Fox News.

What exactly is so bad about Rush Limbaugh?

Comment

What exactly is so bad about Rush Limbaugh?

“When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X