Debt collectors get nasty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt collectors get nasty

Debt collectors are getting desperate and dirty.

July 9, 2010

Harassing phone calls, abusive language and physical violence are becoming a bigger part of business as debt collectors struggle to round up money from people who don't have it.

"The American consumer is really hurting and collectors are having to fight harder to get money," said Robert Andrews, a senior analyst specializing in the debt industry at research firm IBISWorld.

Complaints of harassment by debt collectors surged 50% to 67,550 in 2009, according to the Federal Trade Commission. And they are on track to jump 13% this year, based on the number of FTC complaints filed in the first six months.

The No. 1 complaint is repeated calls, and it is not uncommon for collectors to bombard consumers with back-to-back calls for days, weeks, months and even years.

When debt collectors finally get someone on the other end of the phone, they are more likely to use nastier language. Complaints of debt collectors using obscene or abusive language spiked 35% last year.

A 55-year old New York woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said a collection agent called her home repeatedly, personally attacking her and her husband. When she refused to answer the phone, the collector called her estranged sister, an ex-boyfriend and her husband's ex-wife's mother.
    "This guy was out of his mind and he kept calling and calling, telling me 'you better talk to me, you deadbeat,'" she said. "He was very threatening and the whole thing was just really unsettling -- it made you wonder who was going to show up at your door."

She had reason to worry, since complaints of debt collectors threatening -- or actually using -- violence more than doubled last year, to 2,517.
    Keary Floyd, an attorney who represents consumers at the Floyd Legal Firm in Atlanta, said that while most of his debt collection cases involve excessive phone calls, one of his recent clients recorded a disturbing phone conversation where a debt collector threatened that he or someone else would come to the client's house to get the money in any way that he could.

"I heard it, and if any phone call was going to worry someone, it would be that one," said Floyd.

Other aggressive tactics that are becoming more common are debt collectors calling before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m., demanding more money than what is owed, revealing a consumer's debt to a third party or threatening "dire consequences" like prosecution, jail time, property seizure or job loss.
    These practices are not just inappropriate, but they are illegal under the FTC's Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which has been around since 1977.

How healthy are your finances?

An industry representative said the increase in complaints of harassment should not only be attributed to desperate and aggressive collecting agents, but to more consumers trying to cash in on lawsuits.

"Certainly if debt collectors are being more aggressive, they shouldn't be, but it's not fair to characterize the actions of debt collectors as the only reason why there is an increase in complaints -- they're not fully to blame," said Mark Schiffman, a spokesman for The Association of Credit and Collection Professionals.

"There's a growing industry of consumer attorneys and savvy consumers who have learned that they can sue a debt collector fairly easily and collect very easily," he added.

Consumers are able to take a collector to state or federal court for harassment, according to the FTC. If the debtor wins the case, the collector is required to pay for any damages caused by the harassment, such as lost income and medical bills.

Even if debtors can't prove monetary damages but are able to prove harassment, they can receive up to $1,000 and are reimbursed for the court and attorney fees.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/09/news...ment/index.htm
    Last edited by Flamingo; 07-12-2010, 02:05 AM. Reason: Switch date and title
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
    "Certainly if debt collectors are being more aggressive, they shouldn't be, but it's not fair to characterize the actions of debt collectors as the only reason why there is an increase in complaints -- they're not fully to blame," said Mark Schiffman, a spokesman for The Association of Credit and Collection Professionals.

"There's a growing industry of consumer attorneys and savvy consumers who have learned that they can sue a debt collector fairly easily and collect very easily," he added.
    So the debt collectors getting nasty is not news to anyone here, but I thought it rather interesting to see that the industry spokesman quoted blames consumers learning about and exercising their rights for the increase!
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Originally posted by BobMango View Post
      So the debt collectors getting nasty is not news to anyone here, but I thought it rather interesting to see that the industry spokesman quoted blames consumers learning about and exercising their rights for the increase!
      Sort of a "I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't those meddling kids and their dog" quality to it."

Comment

Someone should tell the industry spokesperson that if they keep getting sued for violating a law... perhaps the industry needs to stop violating the law.

The spokesperson may as well have said... "we never had complaints about us harassing the consumers until the consumers found out that they could sue us for violating the law." That has nothing to do with being savvy. That's entirely about being informed.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Someone should tell the industry spokesperson that if they keep getting sued for violating a law... perhaps the industry needs to stop violating the law.
          Actually, that bunch of yahoos are not the spokesman for the professional collectors.

You can find the spokesman for collectors here:

This is a good organization that actually does regulate its members.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

It's not my debt!

What is the best way to get collection agencies to stop calling when they are trying to reach the person who USED to have my phone number?

I don't know the person, I don't know where they live. The debt gets resold every 90 days or so because a new collection agency starts calling.

Comment

Originally posted by ripley1423 View Post
              What is the best way to get collection agencies to stop calling when they are trying to reach the person who USED to have my phone number?

I don't know the person, I don't know where they live. The debt gets resold every 90 days or so because a new collection agency starts calling.
              That's a tough one, for probably 99% of the collectors are going to think that you are lying to them. Perhaps the best/fastest way to stop the calls is to change your number.

Contact your phone provider and let them know that you are getting harassing calls and they normally will do this for free.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

There was a funny article in last week's NY Times about this very issue- I don't think that it was someone who actually used to have the phone number- but instead someone used the writers phone number on applications for credit which he then defaulted on. If I can find it I will post the link.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X